tonights evening post

tonights evening post

Postby scalehallshrimp » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:37 pm

article below
scalehall shrimp

Three targets for Morecambe in sales

12 December 2008
By Tony Dewhurst
Morecambe boss Sammy McIlroy is heading for the January sales.
The wheeler-dealer Shrimps manager has lined up three new targets in the January transfer window – with a striker at the top of his New Year wish-list.

McIlroy said: "I've three players in mind and I'm working hard to sign them.

"We need more attacking options because we've just not had that this season with the injuries to Matthew Blinkhorn and Michael Twiss.

"We haven't scored enough goals and I have to try and address that.

"I might have to let a couple go to balance the books, we'll just have to see."

While Twiss and Wayne Curtis returned to training this week, both remain doubtful for tomorrow's clash with promotion chasers Darlington at Christie Park.

McIlroy is also pinning his hopes on Carlisle allowing Danny Carlton to remain on loan at Christie Park for a further month.

"It's Carlisle's decision, but I'd love to keep Danny here until 2009," added McIlroy.

"But I'm desperately short of numbers, we are down to the bare bones in the squad and I've got to try and build that up.

"We've suffered badly with injuries this season and I need new recruits to make the second half of the season a good one."

McIlroy said he was not happy with Morecambe's performance in last weekend's 1-0 defeat at Notts County, their first defeat in six outings.

"We were poor at Notts County, it was a bitterly disappointing show.

"If we'd played anything like we'd done during November we'd have come away with a result, but we never got going.

"We've not had chance to progress as much as I'd hoped because we've had so many injuries to contend with.

"The team virtually picks itself at the moment because I've so few options available."

Darlington have won four times on the road in the league this term, and McIlroy admits the visitors will provide a stern test.

"Darlington are one of the favourites for promotion, they are a very good side.

"They've spent a lot of money on players and they will expect to go up this time.

"It will be a tough test but, apart from the Notts County defeat, we've shown some good form in the past month, so we can cause them problems."

The full article contains 390 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
scalehallshrimp

Return to General Discussion