Who is the worst player you have seen at morecambe ?

Re: Who is the worst player you have seen at morecambe ?

Postby Posh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:02 am

Keith wrote:
marky wrote:To summarise, disliked him as a player and disliked him as a person even more.

60 years old tomorrow, the International Declaration of Human Rights, Article 19 states...

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Doesn't mean you're not talking bollocks though!!!!

Sir John is probably my third favorite player and certainly would walk in to my all time top eleven...

Sod Declaration of Human Rights... I feel a ban coming on! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Keith. Your post has stopped a rant of gargatuan proportions against someone who clearly is a wind-up merchant of the highest order. Forget the football skills, John Norman is one of the nicest people its been my pleasure to meet.

Nice try Marky.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:30 am

Keith wrote:Doesn't mean you're not talking bollocks though!!!!

Sir John is probably my third favorite player and certainly would walk in to my all time top eleven...

Sod Declaration of Human Rights... I feel a ban coming on! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's probably my 3rd least favourite player of all time. Sorry, I met the guy and couldn't stand him. Also, never knew a player with such a talent for giving the ball back to the opposition at least 25 times in every match he played in. I rejoiced when he left the first time and even more so the second time. As for favourite players... Paul Burns wins that one hands down.

Oh, and Posh, this isn't a wind-up. I can confidently predict I speak on behalf of at least 15 other people when it comes to Mr. Norman :P
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Aspers » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 am

To be perfectly honest I wore a shirt with the Morecambe crest on it when Mr Spavin was in charge, admittedly it was in the reserve genre.

The award could very well be mine.

I then went on and played for Lancaster City Res for a few games before I went to ballet school. :mrgreen:
Aspers

Postby Mark S » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:06 am

Aspers wrote:To be perfectly honest I wore a shirt with the Morecambe crest on it when Mr Spavin was in charge, admittedly it was in the reserve genre.

The award could very well be mine.

I then went on and played for Lancaster City Res for a few games before I went to ballet school. :mrgreen:

Well thats that settled then! :D
Mark S

Postby scalehallshrimp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:43 am

always thought ryan sugden was pretty grim
scalehall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Postby Freez » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 am

John Norman was slow as a carthorse running but had a quick mind for the slide rule pass and could trap a ball better than most.

He didn't play much in the NPL promotion season but really found his feet in the Conference thanks to JH.

Justin Jackson admitted that he wouldn't have scored half his goals without Sir John of Norman.

Much maligned and misunderstood, one of the nicest blokes ever to play for us, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I disagree with what you say but defend your right to say it.

It would be a dull world if we all agreed.

I am showing my age but some players from the late 70's and early 80's who played were considerably worse than ANYONE who appeared in the Conference.

Paul Gregory, a ginger full back who machete'd anyone who came near him and put the ball out for a throw every time he kicked it. His motto was "Dive in, occasionally you might accidently get the ball".
Loz Walsh, centre half who ran like a camel, great in the air, the only thing slower on legs was a wardrobe.
Micky Helliwell, ball playing midfielder, couldn't head, tackle, shoot or run, but could pass, sort of. And he chain smoked!!
Bobby Grimshaw, another "stocky" midfielder, scored a few goals, misplaced most of his passes, got booked a lot for arriving in the tackle a tad late then getting up with a look that pleaded, "I got there as soon as I could!"

I could go on,

and on

and on.

Strangely very happy days.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Dysie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:18 pm

Barry Keeling anyone....?

Like Freez said, must be loads from late 70's/early 80's to name but not a lot
was expected from them at the time anyway! So it would be a tad unfair.....
Dysie

Postby marky » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:21 pm

I'd forgotten about Keeling! He was the Beckham wannabe wasn't he?
marky

Postby Posh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:54 pm

marky wrote:I can confidently predict I speak on behalf of at least 15 other people when it comes to Mr. Norman

Well you can predict that 15 people might share the same opinion. So that obviously makes your view so much stronger (?????).

This thread is about the worst players to have played for Morecambe not the ones you have some personal dislike of. So if scoring over 100 goals (fact not based on predicted views), trapping a ball better than virtually any Morecambe forward I've ever seen, setting up more goals than he scored (see Freez's comments about Justin Jackson), winning the FA Trophy by scoring loads of goals in the cup run, and having met him numerous times and knowing what a top bloke he was including twice (Margate and Nuneaton) where the coach was going to leave without him because he was talking to fans - makes him one of the worst players ever to play for Morecambe then I'd have serious with the surgeon that conducted your lobotomy because he removed reason and not the bizarre and irrational behaviour.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Freez » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:59 pm

A tad unfair as not a lot was expected. I would agree.
But it still fits the title of the the thread. And there are worse that that, I promise you.

Makes us oldies realise what we have now is a world away from those times.
It does make it a bit sweeter, however no less annoying when we lose.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Old Man Kensey » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:53 pm

Did we not have a winger called Dave Lever (or something like that). Never had the ability to beat a player or cross the ball or shoot....

I also remember (sadly not the name) of a defender we got from Everton (?) who's idea of defending was to back off a good 20 yards and then show the attacker inside just to make his shot at goal that little bit easier. Possibly Hughes (?)

As for Andy Banks! The man is a true leg-end.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby Mr Munnings » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:34 pm

Dysie wrote:Barry Keeling anyone....?

Like Freez said, must be loads from late 70's/early 80's to name but not a lot
was expected from them at the time anyway! So it would be a tad unfair.....

chicken chaser wasnt one of the best upfront
But I do remember him having to switch to centre back at Haig Avenue one Xmas and he was outstanding in a game we ended up with 9 men
I think Tony Hughes got sent off
Mr Munnings

Postby marky » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Posh wrote:Well you can predict that 15 people might share the same opinion. So that obviously makes your view so much stronger (?????).

This thread is about the worst players to have played for Morecambe not the ones you have some personal dislike of. So if scoring over 100 goals (fact not based on predicted views), trapping a ball better than virtually any Morecambe forward I've ever seen, setting up more goals than he scored (see Freez's comments about Justin Jackson), winning the FA Trophy by scoring loads of goals in the cup run, and having met him numerous times and knowing what a top bloke he was including twice (Margate and Nuneaton) where the coach was going to leave without him because he was talking to fans - makes him one of the worst players ever to play for Morecambe then I'd have serious with the surgeon that conducted your lobotomy because he removed reason and not the bizarre and irrational behaviour

Posh, just because you rate a player, doesn't mean others will necessarily share your view. I never rated Norman and I never will. Get over it. There are people who have more extreme views than me on his ability as a footballer (I repeat, I never knew a player with such a talent for giving the ball away so often). I mentioned 15 people because I happen to know their views on Norman closely mirror my own. Predict was the wrong word to use.

By the way, I'm far too young to have had a labotomy ;)
marky

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:33 pm

I certainly can't claim to have been watching from the terraces for as long as most here, but surely the ommission of Terry McFlynn from this list is a mistake. Came with heaps of promise and initial early success was followed by a series lacklustre performances. Didn't we get shut of him pretty quickly?
Bradford_Shrimp

Previous

Return to General Discussion