BBC Sports Personality

BBC Sports Personality

Postby Aal » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:28 am

Who would you vote for this year?

I know he won't get it but my personal favourite would be Chris Hoy...an awesome cyclist with a really inspirational personality too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_ ... 759195.stm
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Re: BBC Sports Personality

Postby Christies Child » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:30 am

Got my vote
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:42 am

I think it will go to a swimmer... Rebecca Adlington will win it, although I think Eleanor Simmonds should get it. Both of these not only won their golds but demonstrated bucket loads of "Personality" too!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:26 am

Dean Macey.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby George Dawes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 am

Calzaghe, he's had a great year, Vs two great fighters in America

Lewis Hamilton for young personality
George Dawes

Postby slackAlice » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58 am

Well Calzaghe won it last year and although I personally think he should / could win it again - it'll probably go to Lewis Hamilton.
slackAlice

Postby mounse mk2 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:52 pm

There is a lot of choice and i think anyone on the list would be a worthy winner unlike in previous years.

But if i had to choose i'd go for Rebecca Adlington.
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby parceldave » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:54 pm

DawZi wrote:Calzaghe, he's had a great year, Vs two great fighters in America

Lewis Hamilton for young personality

I think he has been the best British boxer ever and has not had the recognition he deserves for such a brilliant record and i hope he respects his kids wishes and retires with honour. Never mind Eubank , Joe is Simply the Best 8-) 8-) 8-)
parceldave

Postby DTSJim » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:57 pm

Surely Lewis Hamilton, youngest world champion in the history of formula 1?
DTSJim

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:14 pm

The thing is with Hamilton its not just down to him....he is in one of, if not the best cars in F1. Full of respect for his achievement, but IMO he wasn't very sporting in the way he went about it. How many times was he in trouble with the race stewards? No smoke without fire.

I hope the gong goes to an Olympian in what was one of our most successful Olympic games ever. I'd go for Rebecca Adlington, she won two gold's in the pool (first British swimmer to do so in 100 years), breaking one of the longest standing Olympic records in the process. This against the odds, in terms of Swimming GB doesn't have the best facilities or funding (Adlington's pool in Nottingham where she currently trains is soon to be closed, replaced by one that is not Olympic length) when compared to athletes from the US and Australia whom pump in loads of cash into the sport.

Then again the award what is the award based on.....sporting achievement or personality? If its the later I'd give it to Jeff Stelling!
RedRedWine1

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:25 pm

Personality does not come into it , Bob Nudd got the most votes one year, a wittier man you would never meet, but they fixed it and gave the award to a footballer, its Dean Macey hands down in my book, but even if he wins they will not give him the award!!!

Nuddgate will always stick in my craw!!

it was just wrong!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Aal » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Tell us more. When? Who was Mr Nudd and how did he poll so much when nobody had heard of him?

Sorry to disappoint but Macey is not in the nominations

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Personality does not come into it , Bob Nudd got the most votes one year, a wittier man you would never meet, but they fixed it and gave the award to a footballer, its Dean Macey hands down in my book, but even if he wins they will not give him the award!!!

Nuddgate will always stick in my craw!!

it was just wrong!!
Aal

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:08 pm

RedRedWine wrote:The thing is with Hamilton its not just down to him....he is in one of, if not the best cars in F1.

What was wrong with Kovalainen's then?

IMO Hamiltons is by far the greatest achievement and if he wasn't given it this year I have no idea when he would. It's been brilliant to support a English driver instead of that chin Coulthard.
Bare Ben

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:23 pm

Hamilton...that fine upstanding english gent that runs of to Switzerland to avoid paying income tax like the rest of us mere mortals even though I guess what he would be taxed doesn't make a dent in his vast fortune?

I've nothing against Hamilton, but you can't seriously deny that he has an advantage over quite a lot of the drivers in the sport due to the technology he has at his disposal? The way that McLaren operates now is so geared towards one driver (Hamilton) it reminds me when Schumaker was at Ferrari and Irvine was playing second fiddle. Its why Alonso, the best driver in the sport, quit the team.

Anyway, Adlington for me. Hoy a close second and then probably Hamilton third. If Murray had won the US Open perhaps he would be in with a shout.
RedRedWine1

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:30 pm

HOW VERY DARE YOU!!!

NUDD WHO!!!!

HOWVEEERRRYYYYDAREYOOUUUU!!!!

ONLY THE FINEST COURSE ANGLER OF ALL TIME

HOW VERRRYYYY DARE YOU!!!

Dean Macey can also fish a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:40 pm

RedRedWine wrote:is the award based on.....sporting achievement or personality? If its the later I'd give it to Jeff Stelling!

Or Mounse MK2 after his PE teacher rant the other day 8-)

Just catching up with old threads....
RedRedWine1

Postby marky » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Has to be an Olympian. Hoy or Adlington for me. Sorry, but Hamilton's 'achievement' doesn't cut it for me. In by far the best car and still nearly throws it away.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Aal » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Sorry never heard of the guy.

Did he really get more votes and if so how and in which year?

PUNKISDEAD wrote:HOW VERY DARE YOU!!!

NUDD WHO!!!!

HOWVEEERRRYYYYDAREYOOUUUU!!!!

ONLY THE FINEST COURSE ANGLER OF ALL TIME

HOW VERRRYYYY DARE YOU!!!

Dean Macey can also fish a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aal

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:01 pm

I believe in 1991 a fishing magazine voted thousands of times in favour of Nuud, which the BBC discounted.

If a fisher won the title I would nominate Daniel Speight for collecting more train numbers than any other, its that kind of a 'sport'.
RedRedWine1

Postby outsider » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:33 pm

how about a 13 times world champion, numerous other world titles masters match play etc, european champoin, and world no1?

Phill (the power) Taylor?
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Good shout!!!

WE NEED DARTS AND FISHING IN OUR OLYMPICS

AND MAYBE DOMINOES!!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:02 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article5303813.ece

For the Rebecca Adlington fans out there a good piece in today paper abot her training etc
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby wijit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:45 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Hamilton...that fine upstanding english gent that runs of to Switzerland to avoid paying income tax like the rest of us mere mortals even though I guess what he would be taxed doesn't make a dent in his vast fortune?

I've nothing against Hamilton, but you can't seriously deny that he has an advantage over quite a lot of the drivers in the sport due to the technology he has at his disposal? The way that McLaren operates now is so geared towards one driver (Hamilton) it reminds me when Schumaker was at Ferrari and Irvine was playing second fiddle. Its why Alonso, the best driver in the sport, quit the team.

Anyway, Adlington for me. Hoy a close second and then probably Hamilton third. If Murray had won the US Open perhaps he would be in with a shout.

All F1 teams focus on one driver, they have the spare car set up for their first choice it's just the way it is and it certainly isn't just Mclaren or ferrari who do this.
If you face with losing millions to the government in income tax wouldn't you do what you could to keep hold of as much as possible? (if you say anything other than "yes" you'll be lying!)
AND!!, do all successful sports people take advantage of any technology at their disposal if it gives them an advantage over their rivals? This can be training facilities, better kit or better diet in fact, anything these days.
Hamilton for the main one, Adlington for young S P.
wijit

Return to General Discussion