Jon Newby

Re: Jon Newby

Postby cultured » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Abbo wrote:Cultured wrote,
Jon Newby may or may not be better than the other options we have, but he isn't good enough either. So why sign someone who isn't good enough, because he's a bit better than what we've got ?
I think you aswered your own question there, anything is better than what we have this season, and as i have said in previous posts Newbs did a good job last season a i do believe he would have carried on this season playing alongside Howe.

Good god, how many more times. How is someone who can't get in a bloody conference premier outfit, and blatantly not good enough when he was here, suddenly going to become Robbie Fowler overnight just because he's playing alongside somebody good?

Let it go, he scored a few goals against rubbish teams and in a cup no one cares about until the latter stages. The next Michael Owen he is not, and he's getting quite old now. Get someone in on loan/sign someone new and lets have a look at him.
cultured

Postby Christies Child » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:44 pm

cultured wrote:
Jon Newby may or may not be better than the other options we have, but he isn't good enough either. So why sign someone who isn't good enough, because he's a bit better than what we've got ?
I think you aswered your own question there, anything is better than what we have this season, and as i have said in previous posts Newbs did a good job last season a i do believe he would have carried on this season playing alongside Howe.

Good god, how many more times. How is someone who can't get in a bloody conference premier outfit, and blatantly not good enough when he was here, suddenly going to become Robbie Fowler overnight just because he's playing alongside somebody good?

Let it go, he scored a few goals against rubbish teams and in a cup no one cares about until the latter stages. The next Michael Owen he is not, and he's getting quite old now. Get someone in on loan/sign someone new and lets have a look at him.

Hey Cultured Chill out!

It's all about opinions. If we all agreed with everything then SVs would be redundant by now!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby nobbyshrimp » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Sorry, just couldn't resist once again opening the topic on Jon and seeing how he is doing at the moment. I noticed he came off the bench the other night for Burton away in the Sentanta Shield at Telford. Telford won 3.0.
He has played 7 full competitive games for Burton and 7 sub appearances and scored............................................................................................................0 :!:

Case closed :!: :!:
nobbyshrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Doesn't Jon play in Midfield for Burton though?

I think Jon was unlucky to be shown the door last season. Had a few more of the strikers been in his position (needing a contract renewal), I think he might have been retained over some of the other players who we still have on the books. Just my cynical opinion mind.
RedRedWine1

Postby Castaway » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:43 am

If i was a betting man (which i'm not) i would wager a bet that nobody in our current squad will hit double figures in all competitions this season

It's a shame your not a betting man, BHmfc, Renes now got 7 for the season (5 in the league).
Castaway

Postby cultured » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:10 pm

nobbyshrimp wrote:Sorry, just couldn't resist once again opening the topic on Jon and seeing how he is doing at the moment. I noticed he came off the bench the other night for Burton away in the Sentanta Shield at Telford. Telford won 3.0.
He has played 7 full competitive games for Burton and 7 sub appearances and scored............................................................................................................0 :!:

Case closed :!: :!:

Silence! He's the greatest forward Morecambe FC has ever seen! A lower league Ronaldo!
cultured

Postby DTSJim » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:52 am

For what it's worth I think Jon was a good finisher, but in terms of adding something to the side, I'd question his worth.

Fact is, the majority of his goals came from pinpoint passes from Thommo, Baker and Stanners. Without that sort of quality service, what hope has he got of scoring. He's like a slow Danny Carlton.
DTSJim

Postby ezz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:38 am

Cultured just because you say he isn't good enough doesn't finalise his ability. The fact he's moved from a couple of teams since would obviously affect his current performances also its hard to settle into a new team and start scoring goals straight away.
I think he gelled well with the team at morecambe which is why he did quite well, he was the most natural finisher last year at the club and would definately take him back
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby ezz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:40 am

DTSJim wrote:For what it's worth I think Jon was a good finisher, but in terms of adding something to the side, I'd question his worth.

Fact is, the majority of his goals came from pinpoint passes from Thommo, Baker and Stanners. Without that sort of quality service, what hope has he got of scoring. He's like a slow Danny Carlton.

Are you sure? most of his goals came when the first 11 were rested in the JP trophey, he was the best finisher at the club last year in my opinion and would score goals where others wouldn't this season, pace isn't everything Howe proves that
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby DTSJim » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:16 am

ezz wrote:
DTSJim wrote:For what it's worth I think Jon was a good finisher, but in terms of adding something to the side, I'd question his worth.

Are you sure? most of his goals came when the first 11 were rested in the JP trophey, he was the best finisher at the club last year in my opinion and would score goals where others wouldn't this season, pace isn't everything Howe proves that

To be honest, I'm talking about his perfect hattrick which was almost as much thommos as it was Jon's.

The JPT, while it is a good indicator of his ability to finish, it's a bit of a step down from league football. Not a big step down I'll grant, but perhaps he just had that much more desire than most players on the pitch because he was actually fighting for his place. That's no bad thing mind you.

The Newby thing stumped me when it first happened, but the fact is I don't think he's better than what we've got and he was at the top of his game. What we have now are players with the same skill but more drive and hunger to prove themselves.

For me, any move to get Jon Newby back would be a huge backward step.
DTSJim

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:21 am

ezz wrote:Cultured just because you say he isn't good enough doesn't finalise his ability. The fact he's moved from a couple of teams since would obviously affect his current performances also its hard to settle into a new team and start scoring goals straight away.
I think he gelled well with the team at morecambe which is why he did quite well, he was the most natural finisher last year at the club and would definately take him back

Bloody hell how long does it take him. In his first game with Greenock he scored two goals. He has now been at Burton over 3 month's, played 7 + 7 sub games and not scored! Don't give me that, not settled :!:
And for the record....in his career Jon has been loaned out to lower league teams 7 times and normally a player dropping to a lower level performs better but in Jons case and no disrespect meant to Jon, during all his 7 loan spells (including current) he has NEVER scored!! Fact!!
nobbyshrimp

Postby ezz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:59 am

Yeh and he did score goals when he played for us......FACT, fact is fit well into our team and the end product was generally good. Not all players are suited for all teams you only have to look at Henry's move to Barca...best striker in the world.....had a nightmare
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 pm

ezz wrote:Yeh and he did score goals when he played for us......FACT, fact is fit well into our team and the end product was generally good. Not all players are suited for all teams you only have to look at Henry's move to Barca...best striker in the world.....had a nightmare

Err...is that not what you pay a striker to do :roll: However, even though I was a Newby fan (might not sound like it) he has gone, I agree with him being released as his ratio of goals per game was not good enough. He could have been a good footballer a few years ago but I think he will remain 'a bit player/super sub'.
nobbyshrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:40 pm

If you are looking at goals per game ratio solely as the basis for keeping strikers, would you agree that of the forward men we had last season (all things being equal, e.g. contract length), Jon Newby would have been the last to go? He had the best goals to games ratio at the club.

I'm not saying that we should have kept him, just that on the basis of improving the squad, IMO he wasn't the worst player we had here at the time. He was probably unlucky that his contract was up for renewal, whilst others were sat on the luxury of a further year. It will be interesting to see who stays this season with many of the fringe players contracts up at the end of the season.

Finally you are basing how well Jon might have done here this season with how well he is doing at other clubs this season under completely different circumstances, and as eluded to previously, in a different role that he was beig used here this season. Does this not strike you as ridiculous? Almost as ridiculous as not attending that many games and calling the odds? I'm assuming you have not seen him play this season. Don't let me get in the way of a good story.
RedRedWine1

Postby parceldave » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:46 pm

cultured wrote:

Talking of Robbie Fowler. :?: ;)
parceldave

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:10 pm

RedRedWine wrote:If you are looking at goals per game ratio solely as the basis for keeping strikers, would you agree that of the forward men we had last season (all things being equal, e.g. contract length), Jon Newby would have been the last to go? He had the best goals to games ratio at the club.

I'm not saying that we should have kept him, just that on the basis of improving the squad, IMO he wasn't the worst player we had here at the time. He was probably unlucky that his contract was up for renewal, whilst others were sat on the luxury of a further year. It will be interesting to see who stays this season with many of the fringe players contracts up at the end of the season.

Finally you are basing how well Jon might have done here this season with how well he is doing at other clubs this season under completely different circumstances, and as eluded to previously, in a different role that he was beig used here this season. Does this not strike you as ridiculous? Almost as ridiculous as not attending that many games and calling the odds? I'm assuming you have not seen him play this season. Don't let me get in the way of a good story.

1) All things being equal, I think he would have stayed as he is on par if not better than some we have, with the right players with him, like Tommo. His goal ratio was also only increased because of a hat trick in 1 game.
2) No not seen him this season.
3) Finally I was not basing how well Jon would have done this season or did I state that and in fact if you had read it properly you would have seen I said that I am a fan of his but I still remain that his best years are behind him now!.
nobbyshrimp

Postby Joel Ninety » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:15 pm

Jon Newby is God.
Joel Ninety

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:33 pm

not got strong views either way, but the argumant about not fitting in could easily be placed at a certain Justin Jackson's door too. Woking fans loved him :lol: :roll: but he was superb with us. A player who can hit the back of the net regularly *because of the system* is worthy of a place.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:31 am

Keith wrote:not got strong views either way, but the argumant about not fitting in could easily be placed at a certain Justin Jackson's door too. Woking fans loved him :lol: :roll: but he was superb with us. A player who can hit the back of the net regularly *because of the system* is worthy of a place.

The similarities can be alarming Newby - Thommo.

Jackson - Norman.

John Norman was Jacko's Thommo.
Not on about position played, more of putting the ball in the right place.

Jacko only played well, or to put it another way, played his best football when with us BECAUSE of John Norman. I said it to his face with another legend sat opposite him, Nasher.
Who laughed and said something along the lines of ....see Justin, I said you'd been rumbled..

Jacko had no reply.
morecambe mick

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:34 am

totally agree Mick, John Norman was the most under-rated (by some!) player ever to pull on a Morecambe shirt! As you say, Jacko was made in to a good player by the system and by John Norman being so good for him.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 am

243 appearances (80 as a sub)

33 goals= 1 every 7.3 games

I liked Newby, but he has never been prolific and is not going to be at 30.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Completely agree Keith and Mick

Have you read this thread at all Punkisdead? Look at the Jacko example. You can pretty much disregard Newbys record anywhere else under different circumstances possibly deployed in a different role, when he was here last season he scored more than any other striker.

I'm not saying that we should have kept the lad, just that he isn't as terrible as some people try and make out and in my opinion better than a couple of players that were kept on.
RedRedWine1

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:14 pm

No offense, i actually said i liked the dude, but the stats do not lie, he has scored non in fifteen this season for a team leading the conference, and we do not have thommo or baker to put it on a plate for him this year either.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:08 pm

EZZ WROTE

]eh and he did score goals when he played for us......FACT, fact is fit well into our team and the end product was generally good. Not all players are suited for all teams you only have to look at Henry's move to Barca...best striker in the world.....had a nightmare

Henry is still at barca he scored a hat trick last night mate!!
PUNKISDEAD

Previous

Return to General Discussion