Advice??

Advice??

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 am

Not sure how to do a poll so I'll just open it up for debate after some comment.

Is my avatar acceptable?
durhamshrimp

Re: Advice??

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:21 am

I presume if it was'nt you would have been zapped by now :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:28 am

Out of interest - is it a real badge and, if so, when was it produced and how did you come by it?

Purely out of interest - don't worry.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:40 am

They are real badges and can be seen printed with just about anything you want on ;)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/England-golly-foo ... 240%3A1318
marky No.1

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:22 pm

I just saw it on ebay and thought it looked quite funny.

It'll go if the genuine consensus is that it's offensive. If it's just offends one or two then it'll stay.
durhamshrimp

Postby shrimper » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:58 pm

My personal opinion is that it's okay. I think we're all aware of the offensive connotations that particular image can have but I don't think anyone thinks you're using it in a bad way. The image is a relic of a bygone era and I personally see it that way.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby USA Shrimp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:30 pm

shrimper wrote:The image is a relic of a bygone era and I personally see it that way.

So, if I had an avatar that was a Nazi caricature of a Jew that would be okay too because that is a relic from a bygone era ?
USA Shrimp

Postby Number 1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:39 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:I just saw it on ebay and thought it looked quite funny.

It'll go if the genuine consensus is that it's offensive. If it's just offends one or two then it'll stay.

If it offends one, then it should go as by definition, that would make it offensive, and if one person complains then the boards mods would be in serious trouble if they didn't take action after a complaint about it.

That said, I personally don't think it's offensive, and seeing as though they're widely available on eBay and don't ever appear to be pulled, I daresay that you won't receive any complaints.

I am slightly concerned about the thread in the first place though. There appears to be no logical need for it, unless you wanted to court controversy by actually bringing it up. And to then state that if it "Only offends one or two" it will stay, is, at best misguided and at worst, potentially a criminal offence.

I think the word "Bygone" is a bit of a misnomer. There are certain things of a "Bygone" age which are still representative of evil, such as a swastika. So I don't think the Nazi reference is really applicable. But I would still refer to my previous paragraph for my objective view on the subject.
Number 1

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:01 pm

Number 1 wrote:

If it offends one, then it should go as by definition, that would make it offensive, and if one person complains then the boards mods would be in serious trouble if they didn't take action after a complaint about it.

That said, I personally don't think it's offensive, and seeing as though they're widely available on eBay and don't ever appear to be pulled, I daresay that you won't receive any complaints.

I am slightly concerned about the thread in the first place though. There appears to be no logical need for it, unless you wanted to court controversy by actually bringing it up. And to then state that if it "Only offends one or two" it will stay, is, at best misguided and at worst, potentially a criminal offence.

I think the word "Bygone" is a bit of a misnomer. There are certain things of a "Bygone" age which are still representative of evil, such as a swastika. So I don't think the Nazi reference is really applicable. But I would still refer to my previous paragraph for my objective view on the subject.

See this is the problem. I'd disagree that just because it offends one or two that makes it offensive. There is the possibility that they are not in touch with the general consensus. There's plenty of example where people who've been offended have got it wrong. E.g. Brass Eye Special that time. I suppose what I'd say was, if it was causing genuine offence it'd go, if it was causing offence to the Mail reading interfering classes or the Independent reading do-gooders then I wouldn't care. Out of curiosty I asked a couple of my friends, who are of ethinc minorities, what they thought about such things as gollys. They seemed to think it was a little patronising to protect them from something like this which they didn't see as offensive but more just a bit of fun.

I've changed it anyway as some people clearly weren't happy with it. I grudginly do this as I feel the people who weren't happy with it weren't actually offended by it but just think they 'know best'. (for further examples see the 'Jerry Springer the Opera', 'Russell Brand' & 'Brasseye' idiot sheep bandwagons)
durhamshrimp

Postby Number 1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:08 pm

I'll spell it out for you. If an afro caribbean person stated that they thought it was racist, you could get arrested. It would only take one person, and even if the person wasn't afro caribbean and they thought it was racist, then by definition, it is. So you could still be arrested.

If you hadn't brought it up in the first place, and allowed people to just see it, and not say anything unless they really felt strongly about it, it would still be there. As it is, not only have you drawn attention to it, you've ended up taking it off and putting up something equally if not more offensive. I'm sure there are more christians than afro caribbeans who look at this forum.
Number 1

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:16 pm

Oh no, people offended by criticising a character in their fairy stories? Where does it end. Oh by the way, my Chinese friend is offended by your avatar. He said it is an insult to the great tradition of fortune cookies. Get a life.
durhamshrimp

Postby marky » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Ah Prof. Dawkins. Wonderful man :)
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:22 pm

Anything to keep the wet lettuce happy.....

I fail to see how a black-coloured children's toy makes people blush.

We'll be personally held accountable for the slave trade again soon if certain individuals had their way.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:58 pm

shrimper wrote:Out of interest - is it a real badge and, if so, when was it produced and how did you come by it?

Just for you Glen ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORECAMBE-FOOTBAL ... 240%3A1318
marky No.1

Postby captain sparkle » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:51 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:I've changed it anyway as some people clearly weren't happy with it.

DO YOU KNOW how long i've been studying/thinking about the Beatles + drum & Bass offensivity (is that a word, or have i just made it up?) rating?

offenceness? offendedness? offendingness? :?: offlippin' eck! you know what i mean.
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:55 pm

captain sparkle wrote:
durhamshrimp wrote:I've changed it anyway as some people clearly weren't happy with it.

DO YOU KNOW how long i've been studying/thinking about the Beatles + drum & Bass offensivity (is that a word, or have i just made it up?) rating?

offenceness? offendedness? offendingness? :?: offlippin' eck! you know what i mean.

:lol: :lol:

If you'd not seen the origional avatar I could see how much of a headscratcher that one would have been.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby wijit » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:30 am

Number 1 wrote:

Do you stay awake at night trying to think up ways to out-cock yourself? It isn't offensive just because one person finds it offensive. For something to be offensive then a consensus has to find it so.
I'm not even slightly concerned about the thread, I'm more concerned that you have no life to speak of.
Last edited by wijit on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wijit

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:38 am

Not had a good night I take it Wijit? If I were your cat I'd hide :lol:
RedRedWine1

Postby Number 1 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:36 am

wijit wrote:
Number 1 wrote:

Do you stay awake at night trying to think up ways to out-cock yourself? It isn't offensive just because one person finds it offensive. For something to be offensive then a consensus has to find it so.
I'm not even slightly concerned about the thread, I'm more concerned that you have no life to speak of.

Oh so naive. And it took a whole week to think of the reply too! Tell you what, why don't you shout something about the referees ethnicity at the game today and even though it will just be you, and therefore be just one person see what happens if anyone in authority hears it...
Number 1

Postby Mark S » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:43 am

And yet another thread descends into farce and name calling.

I think we will let this one sink into oblivion before we all get offended.
Mark S

Return to General Discussion