Darren Anderton....

Darren Anderton....

Postby Howe Magic » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:08 pm

just noticed on sky sports news that darren is retiring after the game on saturday against chester...its bad news for bournemouth especially the position they are in - on what i saw of there team when we visited last week they dont have anyone near is quality...great news for all the other teams near bottom of league 2 though
Howe Magic

Re: Darren Anderton....

Postby Aal » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:57 pm

What a shame... Bournemouth at home was the first fixture I looked for and was dismayed to have to wait so long to see Anderton play at Christie. We were deprived of seeing Alan Wright against Cheltenham.

Can anyone recall the last time an England international played against us at Christie?
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby John » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Probably Steve Guppy when we played Stevenage!
John

Postby MorecambeMickey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:39 pm

Didn't Richard Wright play in the Ipswich game? Probably some after that but that's off the top of my head...
MorecambeMickey

Postby Howe Magic » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:59 pm

i remember paul ince playing for wolves in a pre season friendly a couple of years ago...also richard wright for ipswich and steve guppy for stevenage - cant think of anymore but i am sure there will be
Howe Magic

Postby mounse mk2 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:16 am

John wrote:Probably Steve Guppy when we played Stevenage!

Nice man that Steve Guppy. He even apologises for swearing :lol: :lol:
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:23 am

Howe Magic wrote:just noticed on sky sports news that darren is retiring after the game on saturday against chester...its bad news for bournemouth especially the position they are in - on what i saw of there team when we visited last week they dont have anyone near is quality...great news for all the other teams near bottom of league 2 though

I'm only surprised that he did'nt pack his bags straight after the game last Tuesday after the stick you gave him :lol: :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Freez » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Anderton has played 569 club games in a 17 year career. Impressive.

Thats 33 games a season average, so without his sicknotes he could have had over a thousand games!

If anyone can find one of the finest photos printed in 'Q' magazine around 10 or 12 years ago, featuring Darren posing with a smirking Celine Dion with the caption "Why the long face?", that would be nice!!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby mrg1309 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:43 pm

BBC wrote:1700: What an afternoon for Darren Anderton. In his final game before retiring, the former England winger scores an 88th-minute winner for Bournemouth against Chester. That's how to bow out.
mrg1309

Postby ezz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:32 pm

What a way to bow out of football!! You just had a feeling something like that would happen
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:38 am

I've got a photo of Darren in his underkeks, in the Pompey changing room, signing a ball for my young lad when he was Pompey's mascot about 18 years ago.
My lad was mascot twice, stuffed Leicester City, when Pleat was manager, and also buried Barnsley.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:48 pm

Aal wrote:Can anyone recall the last time an England international played against us at Christie?

Lee Bradbury, current Cherries striker, had the price-tag of an international when Man City kindly paid Pompey £3 million for him. After off-loading him to the Eagles he was soon back at Pompey for £300K
Plain Peter

Return to General Discussion