Good Performance!

Good Performance!

Postby ezz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Some 'plastic' fans i heard walking out the ground saying they won't be coming back which is shocking to be fair as I thought it was a great game.
McCann and McStay were tremendous and thought Henry deserved to be man of the match, Howe run his socks off along with Carlton upfront and linked up very well. I can't believe I said it but at times in the first half we played 'too much' football but it was great to much. Stanners was in and out but generally good while drummy was pretty quiet. Fraser bless him just had a bad night even though he's played well this season tonight just wasn't his night. Some good chances if our players had the 'balls' to hit a ball first time instead of expecting the opposition to give them 2mins to line a shot up. Roche solid again couldn't ask for more off him, Artell poor defending for the first goal but played well and shouldn't have been a penalty. Yates was consistent but could have put a few more crosses in. Poor reffing cost us this game but we did play very well and it was an entertaining match, just wasn't meant to be!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Re: Good Performance!

Postby Christies Child » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Have to agree in part with the above but I just felt that they had a touch more 'nouse' than us in certain situations and played it on the deck more than us.

Obviously dissapointed but the League is and always has been the priority.

I was impressed with Carr when he came on. Let's hope that he can build on tonights performance.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby steve mfc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:41 pm

Deserved at least draw tonight, we had plenty of chances after they went in front but paid the price for not being more clinical,a good performance though and if we keep playing like this then we should start winning more games in the league, i think we will be playing Chetenham again next season they were no better than most league two sides that we have played.
steve mfc

Postby admiral47 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:37 am

Yes it was a good game to watch. However the difference in the 2 teams was clear in both the pace of the oposition and the abilty to keep the ball. I think we gave a good account of our selves and could have won the game on another night. Ryan McCann looks more confident where he is playing and has some good ball control, Danny and Rene are working hard- too mant high balls though to DC which illustrates the limted midfield options we have when attacking. Why did Sammy leave it so late to bring Diermund on?
admiral47

Postby Martin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:24 am

A good effort last night. Agree with the comment about them having that bit of nous that saw them through.

McCann and McStay were excellent but poor Fraser had an absolute nightmare. I hope he got that out of his system because I think he's been one of the successes of our improvement this season. Without being poor, I think our midfield didn't quite fire on all cylinders throughout.

I thought Danny Adams had a good game, he looked very comfortable on the ball and always looked to pass to a red shirt (and most of the time doing it well). I think him not being an out and out full back suits him.

On another night we might have nicked a draw, but you can't fault the effort in trying.

It was a good indicator of how far we have to go to have any chance of League 1 football, but it also showed just how far we have come in the last couple of years.
Martin

Postby campdave » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:27 am

I'm still fuming with Stanley's moronic penalty and how much time their keeper got away with wasting.

Good performance on the whole though, on a difficult slippery and bobbly pitch, especially against a team a league above us.
campdave

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 am

I was saying in JB's on Saturday that I would like to see Carr play yesterday so I'm pleased to hear he did well. I still think he can do a good job for us. The problem was identifying who to drop.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:00 am

McCann just gets better and better.
one or two on here had written him off after a few pre season friendlies.

Carr also looked as though he could push Drummy for a place in midfield.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby thegentlegiant » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:38 am

I good solid performance...Little bit light with some passes and first time balls but overall 7/10!
thegentlegiant

Postby Christies Child » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:48 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:McCann just gets better and better.
one or two on here had written him off after a few pre season friendlies.

Carr also looked as though he could push Drummy for a place in midfield.

Totally agree..om both counts!

I was critical of McCann but he's proved me and others wrong. Talk about egg on my face.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I was expecting big things from Carr and last night his brief time on the field showed that he could live up to my expectations. Wouldn't be suprised if he started on Saturday in place of Fraser with Drummy playing a more defensive central mid field role. Remember a certain departed manager always had him down as a potential centre half.

My only concern is that we don't get enough bodies into the opposition box when attacking. Contrast that against last nights opposition who managed to get 4 and sometimes 5 into our box when attacking.

Overall though a creditable display. But showed that there is a difference between League 1 and League 2 clubs if only slight.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:24 am

Looks like we all saw it pretty much the same - which is a rarity!

I'm really encouraged for Saturday IF we can keep it up. Hope Carr can flourish now, just as McCann is doing. The midfield have worked hard and done reasonably but there is room for a bit of decent competition in there.
Michael looked lost in his first few League games with us, if I'm honest, but showed in pre-season that there IS a very good player in him if he can make the step up.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby i-love-mfc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:34 am

are there any Pictures from last nights game?
i-love-mfc

Postby Phoenix » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:58 am

At the risk of another slap from Mark, there's plenty of pics from last night, thanks.

And when I get time they will go online, hopefully tonight.
Phoenix

Postby The Fury » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:12 pm

campdave wrote:I'm still fuming with Stanley's moronic penalty and how much time their keeper got away with wasting.

Likewise. He gave that away at a crucial time too. Had he not conceded the foolish foul (and then tried to blame everyone but himself) I think we would have reached half time with the lead intact and it could have been a very different story in the second half. Not that it matters, I guess.

Also, in the second half, Stanley lost his temper again and went in with a vicious two-footed lunge in attempt at retribution after not getting a free-kick for a blatant dive. I think he was lucky not to be dismissed.

My patience with him is waning.
The Fury

Postby halfwayliner » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm

I thought McGann had a good game last night and is starting to show that he may be a good addition to the team.
halfwayliner

Postby CASS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:18 pm

We where entertained last night by 2 elderly gents who commented "Why the hell has he put him
on!" Then Carr got the ball and waltzed past several yellow shirts with his first run on the ball.
Their midfield was strong resulting in us playing "Wilkins" style football at times. Conditions where probably a factor but we did make > several wayward passes with Yates guilty of a fair few.
On reflection I would have liked to have seen the Irish boy on sooner,it was a cup game and we
should have gone "Shit or Bust a little earlier.
But it was encouraging and enjoyable even if we came second in the goal count.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Wigan Shrimp » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:40 pm

I`m absolutely amazed that some seem to think their penalty was justified, from where I was standing in the North Stand it was a blatent dive. Maybe I missed something from my viewpoint, but this is how I, and those around me, saw it....
The ball into the box was way too high for either Stanley or their no. 18 (I think it was him... and he certainly fits the bill, as threw himself to the deck everytime anyone went within 2 yards of him last night!) to get their heads to. As the ball flew over their heads, no. 18 backed towards Stanners and the second he made contact he lept theatrically forwards to the floor! When the ref stopped play, myself and my brother presumed he was going to book their guy for his comedy dive.... we were absolutely gobsmacked when we realised a penalty had been given. Nobody, other than that clown, no. 18 :evil: :evil: (apologies if it wasn`t him :oops: ), made any sort of apeal... shocking decision that probably cost us the game IMO.
Wigan Shrimp

Postby campdave » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:11 am

Wigan Shrimp wrote:I`m absolutely amazed that some seem to think their penalty was justified

Where I was standing, it was a blantant both hands in the back from Stanley
campdave

Postby scalehallshrimp » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:20 am

i was no more than 20 yards from the incident and could not believe what i was seeing,a complete push from stanley which was unneccessary as the chap was not going to head it anyway.This was one of the turning points in the game and totally frustrating when we played so well
scalehall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Postby shrimper » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:32 am

If Stanners shoved the lad and the lad was jumping cleanly for the ball then fair enough, penalty and Stanners was daft.

But Vincent was at it all night. He often found himself collecting the ball with a defender coming in behind. He took a step back into the defender and then threw himself to the ground. The ref gave him about three free-kicks as a result. On another occasion he pushed the ball past McStay (I think) then leapt into him and spun round. Free-kick again.

It wound me up so much I was heard shouting 'cheat' from the press box. A bloke sitting near said: 'aren't you supposed to be impartial?' to which I laughed and said: "No, I was a Morecambe fan long before I started this job!"
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:53 pm

Wigan Shrimp wrote:I`m absolutely amazed that some seem to think their penalty was justified, from where I was standing in the North Stand it was a blatent dive. Maybe I missed something from my viewpoint, but this is how I, and those around me, saw it....
The ball into the box was way too high for either Stanley or their no. 18 (I think it was him... and he certainly fits the bill, as threw himself to the deck everytime anyone went within 2 yards of him last night!) to get their heads to. As the ball flew over their heads, no. 18 backed towards Stanners and the second he made contact he lept theatrically forwards to the floor! When the ref stopped play, myself and my brother presumed he was going to book their guy for his comedy dive.... we were absolutely gobsmacked when we realised a penalty had been given. Nobody, other than that clown, no. 18 :evil: :evil: (apologies if it wasn`t him :oops: ), made any sort of apeal... shocking decision that probably cost us the game IMO.

The ball went about 4 feet above Stanners head so there was absolutely no need for him to do anything. However as everyone around me can confirm Stanners gave him a huge two-handed shove. Absolutely no need at all and cost us the lead going into half time.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Return to General Discussion