Morecambe 1 Exeter 1 Howe

Re: Morecambe 1 Exeter 1 Howe

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:33 am

Sorry marky, but sitting in the stand i had a good view, wainwright did a good job, he took people on, put in a couple of good crosses, and linked up well with ryan, i do not think we needed to commit forward as much as we did when we had the game won, thats a personal view
, it was a good point really given , in my opinion, dubious sub decisions, but it was a good game, we are now playing entertaining football and will not be going down, so lets get ready to rumble in the cup!!!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby marky » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:48 am

I don't know what game you were watching then. He made countless mistakes and gave the ball away needlessly a number of times. He was by far away the worst player today. His final ball was shocking. I remember one cross where he barely got the thing 4 yards closer the goal and he had acres of space. I'm not the only one, either. Walking home two older gentlemen commented on how crap they thought he was. Anyway, I do agree that McCann had a reasonably good game, but he's reluctant to take people on and I wish he would shout for the ball rather than standing there totally free waiting for the ball to magically find its way to him!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby james456 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:22 am

Very annoyed. 2-0 would have been a fair score imo. We were camped in their half for the first 45 minutes...
james456

Postby George Dawes » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:43 am

Wainwright was awful and that's being kind.

i thought in pre-season he was one of our best players and showed class playing in his "preferred position right-midfield/wing, until SM started playing him on the left side, basically out of position, and struggled trying to get early crosses in, then SM axed him for the team :?

SM needs to stop playing him on the left!

oh and i do agree SM should have done a straight swap with Bentley for another defender, as it clearly unsettled the team they just looked totally disorganized
George Dawes

Postby Aal » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:52 am

It all started to go wrong at half time when Big Jim appeared on the pitch at half time looking rather injured.

He was lucky not to get a red for head butting Christie, cos the ref today seemed to spot everything!!

We looked lost at the back when our talisman went off, hope he's ok. Felt that McGivern was at fault on a few occasions late in the game, and although it was a good team performance, SM was over cautious against a poor side.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby Christies Child » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:30 am

In fairness Sammy replaced Jimbo by moving McGiven into his more accustomed role ie Central defender.

As for Neil W, for me he should have brought Taylor on alongside O'Carroll and played both DC and RH on the flanks but in a very forward role NOT as happened with DC playing a more withdrawn role.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby halfwayliner » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:49 pm

Missed the first half and just witnessed a poor second half display against 10 men. Wainwright spends to much time running next to our attacking fullback, were as he could be 20 yds past their midfielder and still be on side, so he can recieve the ball in a better position to cross or run at there defence . Drummond can be a good player if he gets some determination and not be lacklustre as to give the ball away too many times, putting our defence under pressure.
halfwayliner

Postby shrimper » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:19 pm

MRH wrote:Thought we were far and away the better side in the first half. Exeter never really threatened and we looked pretty secure. Despite the sending off early in the second which sometimes galvanises sides, I think the blow for us came with both McLaughlan and Bentley going off. Many see Jimbo as slow and perhaps struggling at league level, but take him out of the team and the defensive strength and organisation suffers.

I'm very disappointed we only came away with a point because the encouraging thing about this game was that Exeter looked like a team that had just come up from the Conference, and we looked like an established league side.

Can't argue with their goal; it was an excellent finish.

Beforehand I'd have been happy with a draw, but in the end disappointed to have failed to capitalise on our general superiority.

But it all bodes well for the future.

What he said. Word for word.

I thought the first half was the best we've played this season and we looked like a very decent side (against a side that IS, judging by results, a decent side).

My only concern for the future is that our performances have been improved - and then further improved - by the addition of two players we may not have in January.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:32 pm

shrimper wrote:
MRH wrote:Thought we were far and away the better side in the first half. Exeter never really threatened and we looked pretty secure. Despite the sending off early in the second which sometimes galvanises sides, I think the blow for us came with both McLaughlan and Bentley going off. Many see Jimbo as slow and perhaps struggling at league level, but take him out of the team and the defensive strength and organisation suffers.

I'm very disappointed we only came away with a point because the encouraging thing about this game was that Exeter looked like a team that had just come up from the Conference, and we looked like an established league side.

Can't argue with their goal; it was an excellent finish.

Beforehand I'd have been happy with a draw, but in the end disappointed to have failed to capitalise on our general superiority.

But it all bodes well for the future.

What he said. Word for word.

I thought the first half was the best we've played this season and we looked like a very decent side (against a side that IS, judging by results, a decent side).

My only concern for the future is that our performances have been improved - and then further improved - by the addition of two players we may not have in January.

What he said and what he said.

Best performance of the season first half, although helped by a very naive looking Exeter side who gave us bags of space, which arguably we should have capitalised on more and put the game out of reach.

Jimbo's injury forced a re-organisation, which I disagreed with as we lost Ryan McCann and Ryan McGivern as an attacking force (R. McCann looks a far better wing back than a full back) and instead replaced the two of them with Neil Wainwright, who was, to be polite, not as good. After which point we basically threw the game away. All we had to do was hold on to the ball and create space through the extra man instead we gave the ball away over and over again through over-elaboration or just by playing poor football.

Finally, Rene Howe's man of the match surely was some ironic joke? Bar his goal I thought it was poorest performance yet. I lost count of how many times he gave the ball away. He can't shield a ball for more than a second but doesn't seem to know what do with it when it arrives with his back to goal. Diarmuid O'Carroll was far more lively and always willing to try things.

We looked like a really good side first half and something we can keep growing on but like Shrimper says keeping it together the side together will be hard work.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby campdave » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:40 pm

Posh wrote:
Finally, Rene Howe's man of the match surely was some ironic joke? Bar his goal I thought it was poorest performance yet. I lost count of how many times he gave the ball away. He can't shield a ball for more than a second but doesn't seem to know what do with it when it arrives with his back to goal. Diarmuid O'Carroll was far more lively and always willing to try things.

I agree - he always seemed to be digging the ball out from under his feet on Saturday. Has he ever been on the bench? I'm concerned that perhaps the terms of his loan dictate that he starts if he's fit. Personally, I'd rather have O'Carroll and Carlton up front, O'Carroll is the better target man as far as I'm concerned.
campdave

Postby james456 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:04 pm

IMO Howe is the best striker at the club overall but I agree that O'Carroll needs to be given a few starts. He has the quality - look at his goal against Barnet - he just needs some games under his belt and some encouragement.
james456

Previous

Return to General Discussion