today's sending off

today's sending off

Postby Bare bum » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:51 pm

odd one that. Myself and everyone round me completely missed it. It just seemed like a quiet spell with not much going on and we were all chatting about the advantages of neuro-linguistic programming over cognitive behavioural therapies. It looked to me that almost everyone else was similarly immersed in discoursive explorations.

Anyone see what happened?

Oh, and why are they "the Grecians" ?
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Re: today's sending off

Postby Matt Donlan » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Confirmed, begrudgingly, by the referee as "for an elbow on Stanley"
Matt Donlan

Postby mounse mk2 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:01 pm

Bare bum wrote:odd one that. Myself and everyone round me completely missed it. It just seemed like a quiet spell with not much going on and we were all chatting about the advantages of neuro-linguistic programming over cognitive behavioural therapies. It looked to me that almost everyone else was similarly immersed in discoursive explorations.

Anyone see what happened?

Me and my mates were just having a rather in depth conversation on belly button fluff.

Completely missed the sending off.
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Bare bum wrote:we were all chatting about the advantages of neuro-linguistic programming over cognitive behavioural therapies.

mounse mk2 wrote:Me and my mates were just having a rather in depth conversation on belly button fluff.

It's on this basis that people choose where to go on the North Stand. I go in the middle between the two. Here we discuss Rogerian Therapy, which is cognitive behavioural therapy with an in-depth examination of their belly button fluff... as long as the client wants to...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby CASS » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Bare bum wrote:

After the jet black haired Devonion tribe.
The GRECIAN 2000
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Phoenix » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Hmm, someone was sent off? I heard the cheerio chant but not having seen anything on the pitch, scanned the away end for signs of trouble - nothing obvious. Then I checked to make sure Christies Child hadn't been spotted leaving early, nope, still in his seat. A fair while later I wondered again what the chant was about and for some reason counted the blue shirts, only 9 of them. Checked with the other photographers, apparently we'd all missed it but someone had mentioned it to Ian. Then Garth (Visitor) wanders past and just like the rest of us, knew nowt about it.
Phoenix

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:22 pm

I though it was just a yellow at first untill I saw the player heading from the dressing room
heysham_mfc

Postby Jody » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:56 pm

The lump on craig's cheek seemed to confirm the linesman who flagged, and also the referee who reacted got the decision right.
Jody

Postby Frobi » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:28 am

WOW WOW WOW WOW??????

Major confusion?

How did we all miss that?

I must have dosed off, I dont remember any of this, or maybe I was too pre-occupied with trying to get the blood back flowing to my feet, it was freezing!!!
Frobi

Postby marky » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:07 am

It was the correct decision for me. We had the perfect view from where I stand and it was a definite elbow and the referee really had no other option.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Aspers » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:25 am

Sean and Matt saw it, they told Stuart and I, we told everyone else in the chat room.
We also thought Stanners may have to come off.

As for the Grecians.
I copied this from Wikipedia. If I have breached copyrite sorry Mark get rid.

[edit] The Grecians
The club's nickname has a disputed history, with many theories being proposed for its origin. No one is sure of the definitive answer to why Exeter City became known as the Grecians but one source suggests that the club voted for the name in 1908[3] because of its association with St Sidwells parish:

The Parish Of St Sidwells Theory:

Exeter City football club formed from the predecessor club St Sidwells United in 1904. People living in the parish of St Sidwells in Exeter have been known as "Greeks" or "Grecians" for many centuries, as noted in Southey's Common-Place Book in 1669.[4] This is possibly due to the parish's location outside the city walls. In Homer's epic poem Iliad the Greek forces laid siege to the walls of Troy. The association possibly arrose because of rivalries between city boys and St Sidwellians during the annual beating the bounds.[5]

It has also been suggested that there was a group of children in St Sidwells who were referred to as the 'Greasy Un's' and another possible, but unlikely source for the name was from clock that hung outside a jeweller's shop in Sidwell Street, close to the ground, which had the word 'Grecians' engraved or painted on the face.

The Caerwysg Theory:

A further possible source for the name is that it is a corruption of Caerwysg, the Welsh word for Exeter (similar to the Cornish word Karesk). Citizens would have been called Caer Iscuns which became Grecians.

The "Green Scum" Theory

Another theory is that during a match against fierce rivals Plymouth Argyle the crowd started chanting "We hate Green Scum". A reporter hearing this thought they were chanting "We are Grecians" and put it in the article he was writing.

I think the Caerwysg theory is the one.
Aspers

Postby Aal » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:35 am

We were close to it and saw nothing at all although Stanners needed treatment to a swollen looking left cheekbone. The linesman flagged and the ref reached for his top pocket, over and done with in 30 seconds. Weird that many folk were unaware of it happening.

The Exeter player (Frenchman?) looked utterly bemused, said nothing and walked dejectedly up the tunnel.

One of the most bizarre sendings off in many a year.

Having said all that we should have buried the 10 men of Exeter after that, but what did we do...withdraw Danny into a midfield role and allow them to come at us for the rest of the game. The equaliser was inevitable, and what a strike it was from Panther ... hit with a wicked curl into the top corner.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby Phoenix » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:41 am

The Caerwysg Theory:
A further possible source for the name is that it is a corruption of Caerwysg, the Welsh word for Exeter (similar to the Cornish word Karesk). Citizens would have been called Caer Iscuns which became Grecians.

Why would the Welsh have a word for Exeter? You'd expect them to have words to describe objects, actions, etc but why have a different name for a town? Surely Exeter is Exeter just as Morecambe is Morecambe in Welsh? Unless, of course, Caerwysg is Welsh for Shit Ground No Fans :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phoenix

Postby Christies Child » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Even their Press guys behind me missed it.....but in my usual friendly manner I informed them that 'one of your lot elbowed one of my lot in the face and quite rightly had to go.....' to which they replied 'your joking....' which prompted a big grin on my face!

Clear as daylight to me on this mornings TV replay......thanks to my rose tinted specs!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:36 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:I though it was just a yellow at first

From where i was it was a green and the other one was an orange but maybe it was a reflection off the goalies kit :o
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Aal » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:15 pm

The TV certainly showed a clear elbow.

Hard to judge though whether there was intent or it was accidental.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Aal wrote:The TV certainly showed a clear elbow.

Hard to judge though whether there was intent or it was accidental.

good job the camera man was awake :!:
heysham_mfc

Return to General Discussion