Why leave early??

Why leave early??

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:02 am

:o Does anyone have any thoughts on why people who attend football games in general leave early?

Are they bored?
Do they think it's a good idea to pay their money and not get the full time that they've paid for?
Do they think it's important to be first back to the car to beat the traffic?
Are they in a competition to see who can leave the ground first? Perhaps there's a cash prize.
Does it bother them that in a large number of games many goals are scored between the 83rd and 90th minute plus 4th official's board extra minutes, so when they get home they find out that the score has changed and that actually they have attended a totally different game?? :o
Do they have an appointment at 4.50.p.m. so they decide to attend the match anyway and just when it's getting interesting they have to leave?

Do they enjoy the excitement of being seen by others to leave early because they have some fabulous assignment on their agenda which they know is a total mystery to everyone else?
Does it really bother them that they thought Morecambe had lost 1-0 when it was really 2-1 versus Cheltenham in the Cup??? :D :D
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Re: Why leave early??

Postby Aal » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:39 am

I've always felt it was a bit of a waste of money, I expect with most folk it's a traffic issue.

Perhaps on a lighter note, folk like to be sung at 'We can see you sneaking out.....'

As a youngster I learnt the lesson to stay to the final whistle when I once left a boring 0-0 game in the 89th minute to catch an earlier bus home, only to hear an almighty cheer as I got on the bus. I missed the goal of the season to clinch the game.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:54 am

Agree with you Aal. After all it would have been a shame to have left early at Wembley on 20.05.07 wouldn't it?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Christies Child » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:27 am

Whoops....to some degree I'm guilty by leaving my seat in the main Stand to escape the rush at the end of the game. I'm not alone I hasten to add.

With about 5 minutes to go you can see the growing trickle of fans leaving the stand but still remain n the ground to watch the final few minutes around about the disabled stand area.

I've only left the stadium on 2 occassions this season before the end of the game. One becasue i had to get to a family gathering and 2 because the game was already lost and in truth I'd seen enough!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby mounse mk2 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:51 am

I've never to my knowledge ever left a game early, although i have to admit to maybe missing a few minutes at the end of the 1st half, beginning of the 2nd half from time to time finishing my refreshments.

My father-in-law who is a Bolton fan and therefore deserves some kind of reward for sitting through that dross. He gets very nervous on the very odd occasion they are winning and before the end takes himself off to the Asda near the ground and buys a bottle of port and some cheese for the bus trip back into Bolton town centre.
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby Martin » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:12 pm

The nearest I've come to leaving early was in the Lancashire Trophy final at Deppdale a few years ago. It was deep into injury time, we were 2-1 down to Chorley and already gutted, I was in the tunnel entrance ready to leave the instant the final whistle went. We equalised and won 3-2 in extra time. What a great night!
Martin

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Exactly what I meant with original comments. You just never know what might happen in a match, so you might as well stay to the end, you just never know........ ;)
seasonsinthesun

Postby MTID » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:30 pm

I dont understand how people can leave early when there is only 1 goal in it. Doesnt matter if we are playing awfull and 1 nil down, why leave if there is a chance of getting a result??

BUT if were getting tonked how can you stay and put yourself through it :lol: If were 3-0 down with 10mins to go, the thought of a extra pint is more appealing!!

I remember 2 years ago, travelling all the way down to Crawley and at 2-0 down at half time in a piss poor game i said to Hodgie and Lamby ''Its not over yet, We will stick it out, we might get a early goal and be back in it'' By the 50th minute we were back in their clubhouse trailling 3-0 :lol: :lol:
MTID

Postby Castaway » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:53 pm

My step sister had to leave England Vs Greece at Old Trafford on 90 minutes to get to work on time. She could hear the roar of crowd from outside the ground, after Beckham had scored to send England to the world cup!

I also remember a trophy game against Leigh at home trailing 2-0 with 20 minutes to go. One Morecambe fan (you know who you are!) suggested leaving but I was adamant there was enough time left to make it interesting.

Robbie Talbot on his home debut turned the game round with 4 goals to win 5-2 (?), including a individual effort where he'd raced round four of their players and then their keeper (Brian - any archives of this game? I'm sure there was a Morefooty video floating around at the time).

I'd admit to leaving one Morecambe game early, from what I remember it was losing to woking 3-0 at home in the sleet and 'i'd seen enough'....
Castaway

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:13 pm

The best ever 'that'll teach 'em' was Morecambe v Chorley final at Deepdale, when Chorley were in the Alliance, we were Northern Premier League and the Lancashire Junior Cup was a big thing. 2-1 down VERY deep in to injury time, the cup was at the side of the pitch with black & white ribbons already tied to it. Chorley had a corner... so clearly all over, that one minibus from the Pier Hotel decided to beat the traffic and get back for an extra pint or two. The other minibus of lads decided to see it out to the bitter end and applaud our lads off. Instead of playing it short as the Chorley manager was screaming at the players to do, he lobbed it in. Keeper caught it and hoofed it up the pitch. Keith Galley [??? Statto required] raced down the pitch to make it 2-2. As the cup was hurridly removed, the game went in to extra time and Morecambe won 3-2. This being in the days before mobile phones, the first lot of lads to get back were actually beginning to worry that there had been an accident when the second bus finally arrived rather joyfully, just around closing time!

I can't recall ever leaving a game early since I was a kid and had to leave when my dad dragged me away. I'm always worried that I'll miss something, even if we were 5-0 down, we *might* hit a 40 yard, screamer, goal of the season, and I wouldn't want to miss THAT!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby DTSJim » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Leaving early really is one of my pet peeves. I mean, it's just not supporting the team to leave when they're playing badly. What is their reaction going to be when they see people leaving? It's just demoralising.

As for 'beating the rush' which is the usual excuse, why not just sit in your seat for five minutes after the match talking about it with a mate if you're that averse to walking slowly or sitting in your car for five minutes! You rarely see a Morecambe player not stay on the pitch to applaud the fans, so why can we not do the same.
DTSJim

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:16 pm

As for 'beating the rush' which is the usual excuse, why not just sit in your seat for five minutes after the match talking about it with a mate if you're that averse to walking slowly or sitting in your car for five minutes! You rarely see a Morecambe player not stay on the pitch to applaud the fans, so why can we not do the same.[/quote]

That's why I tell my Mrs I stay and have a beer or two in JB's after. I say that traffic is so bad I wouldn't be home any earlier anyway :lol:
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby DTSJim » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:50 pm

P/T Indie wrote:
As for 'beating the rush' which is the usual excuse, why not just sit in your seat for five minutes after the match talking about it with a mate if you're that averse to walking slowly or sitting in your car for five minutes! You rarely see a Morecambe player not stay on the pitch to applaud the fans, so why can we not do the same.

That's why I tell my Mrs I stay and have a beer or two in JB's after. I say that traffic is so bad I wouldn't be home any earlier anyway :lol:

Living the dream! :lol:
DTSJim

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:31 pm

most people who leave early don't get away an quick that those who stay to the end anyway
heysham_mfc

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:47 pm

I sit in the middle stand and stay till the end, i noticed quite a few grumpy looking middle aged men storming out when the equalizer went in, then again, a lot of them were sat happy in jb s with a pint each at full time, watching the end of the match on the telly, whilst i was waiting to get served!!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Aal » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:41 am

After yesterday's game, I might add a valid reason for leaving early....

IT WAS BLOOMING COLD!!! :cry: :cry:
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:12 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:I sit in the middle stand and stay till the end, i noticed quite a few grumpy looking middle aged men storming out when the equalizer went in, then again, a lot of them were sat happy in jb s with a pint each at full time, watching the end of the match on the telly, whilst i was waiting to get served!!!

And you 4 know who you are :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby PottedShrimp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:18 pm

These poor people have caught Vale Park virus which induces a mad urge to leave any ground after 75 minutes play.... :D
Squillae parvae sed fortes
PottedShrimp

Postby sandgrown » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Keith wrote:The best ever 'that'll teach 'em' was Morecambe v Chorley final at Deepdale, when Chorley were in the Alliance, we were Northern Premier League and the Lancashire Junior Cup was a big thing. 2-1 down VERY deep in to injury time, the cup was at the side of the pitch with black & white ribbons already tied to it. Chorley had a corner... so clearly all over, that one minibus from the Pier Hotel decided to beat the traffic and get back for an extra pint or two. The other minibus of lads decided to see it out to the bitter end and applaud our lads off. Instead of playing it short as the Chorley manager was screaming at the players to do, he lobbed it in. Keeper caught it and hoofed it up the pitch. Keith Galley [??? Statto required] raced down the pitch to make it 2-2. As the cup was hurridly removed, the game went in to extra time and Morecambe won 3-2. This being in the days before mobile phones, the first lot of lads to get back were actually beginning to worry that there had been an accident when the second bus finally arrived rather joyfully, just around closing time!

I can't recall ever leaving a game early since I was a kid and had to leave when my dad dragged me away. I'm always worried that I'll miss something, even if we were 5-0 down, we *might* hit a 40 yard, screamer, goal of the season, and I wouldn't want to miss THAT!

I too left early at that Chorley game, only to find out later we had won, I've never left a game early ever since !!
sandgrown

Postby durhamshrimp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:01 pm

I think it's prob to beat the traffic. Though I've never left a match early and I've never had too much trouble with traffic when leaving Christie.
durhamshrimp

Postby USA Shrimp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 pm

I too like the 'hang around after the game' to beat the rush logic. Especially watching my teams in Philly where you are dealing with crowds of 65,000 for American Football, 45,000 for baseball and 19,000 for basketball and ice hockey. The post-game tailgate while the rest of them fight to get out of the car parks is so much more civilized than fighting through that swath of humanity.

It took me a while but the wife is now on board with staying to the end, even if we are getting totally spanked. As one previous poster stated, you could miss the play/goal/punch-up/etc. of the season. I don't see it as a cardinal sin though if somebody else chooses to leave early. It's their money and they can do what they like - I really don't like the tone of some folk accusing the 'leavingearliers' of somehow not being good or true supporters. It's nowt to do with you what they choose to do.

Don't understand it miself, mind (leaving early that is).
USA Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Bounemouth fans started to leave after 90 mins, then as they got a couple of corners in injury time they all started walking back in :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion