Bentley to have terrace named after him

Bentley to have terrace named after him

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 pm

On Wednesday 26th Nov our Jimbo will be attending the Whitehouse Hotel, adjacant to the Bucks Head - AFC Telford United for one of the proudest moments of his life. Telford are honouring his father, Jack who scored 431 goals for Telford over a 14yr period 1963-1977 and Jimbo will be receiving the award on his fathers behalf. Not forgetting that Jim himself, although not quite a legend, is as popular at Telford as he is at Morecambe. Jack died last May after a short illness but is being recognised and honoured for his footballing acheivements for Telford by being one of the first to be initiated into Telfords new Hall of Fame and subsequently they are going to name the east terrace, The Jack Bentley Terrace.
Others being recognised for acheivementss at Telford are Kevin Charleton, Steve Palmer + Booby Irvine.

Enjoy Jim :!: A very proud moment indeed!
nobbyshrimp

Re: Bentley to have terrace named after him

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:20 pm

nobbyshrimp wrote:On Wednesday 26th Nov our Jimbo will be attending the Whitehouse Hotel, adjacant to the Bucks Head - AFC Telford United for one of the proudest moments of his life. Telford are honouring his father, Jack who scored 431 goals for Telford over a 14yr period 1963-1977 and Jimbo will be receiving the award on his fathers behalf. Not forgetting that Jim himself, although not quite a legend, is as popular at Telford as he is at Morecambe. Jack died last May after a short illness but is being recognised and honoured for his footballing acheivements for Telford by being one of the first to be initiated into Telfords new Hall of Fame and subsequently they are going to name the east terrace, The Jack Bentley Terrace.
Others being recognised for acheivementss at Telford are Kevin Charleton, Steve Palmer + Booby Irvine.

Enjoy Jim :!: A very proud moment indeed!

Well deserved.

Got me thinking about our new stadium and similar tributes to 'greats' of the past.

Joe Dunn Ken Waterhouse George Thomson Jim Harvey Sammy Mc
Peter McG JB Christie Roy Fawcett ......and there are more!

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:45 am

Well done Telford - and I know it will be a hugely emotional occasion for Jimbo.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby wijit » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:18 am

Above all, this is great for Jimbo and his family. It is also good for football in general as in the current times of corporate sponsorship, clubs are recognising the genuine input by individuals which made a difference to the club which money may not have done.

Heartfelt best wishes to Jimbo and the family.
wijit

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 pm

I wonder if the club would offer Telford a pre-season friendly next year so that Jimbo can play in front of his dad's stand? I'm sure lots of Telford fans would appreciate seeing Jimbo returning with a Football League Club and there may even be a decent turn out by Morecambe fans out of respect for Jim?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:26 pm

I remember posting the news on the Bucks messageboard the news that Jack had died and the incredible outpourings it caused. Already I'd looked up details about Jack but I was stunned at what an incredible footballer he was. After brief spells at Everton and Stockport County he then went to Wellington Town the club that preceded Telford United where he played right wing for 14 years. He scored an incredible 431 goals in 835 or more than a goal every two games - and not even a striker. Add to that I'm sure I read that he was never sent off in his career. An incredible player and surely one of the greatest ever non-league players. As a result its an honour he easily deserves.

I must admit it would nice to see Morecambe FC set up a Hall of Fame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7654732.stm

Jack Bentley in action

VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 am

You must be very proud Jim, have a good night ;)

http://www.telfordutd.co.uk/afctu.aspx?news=244

http://www.telfordutd.co.uk/default.aspx

Actually might nip in on the way back from Bournemouth :o
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby nobbyshrimp » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Keith wrote:I wonder if the club would offer Telford a pre-season friendly next year so that Jimbo can play in front of his dad's stand? I'm sure lots of Telford fans would appreciate seeing Jimbo returning with a Football League Club and there may even be a decent turn out by Morecambe fans out of respect for Jim?

Maybe a charity match/event in Jacks memory. Great idea :!:
nobbyshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:45 pm

An excellent idea.

I'm sure those members of the Board who visit SVs to find out what's going on ( :lol: ) will take note.
Christies Child

Postby Mark S » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Great idea about an away match. I would attend that.

Dont forget it is Wayne's testimonial season and a match of some kind is being planned for him at CP.
Mark S

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:39 pm

jackbentley.JPG

jimbo.jpg

It was a thoroughly enjoyable and a very emotional evening last night. Great credit to Jim (sorry mum, James :o ) on a very proud moment, it was a pleasure to be there ;)
Good to see Micky H as well :D

We were very impressed with the Telford set up and had to pinch ourselves that we were'nt in a Championship facility rather than a Blue Square North! As well as the Jack Bentley Terrace they also have the "Bentleys" suite - just shows you what a Legend this gentleman was. He scored 431 goals in 835 games and I now know why Jim is such a good header of a ball. He was only ever booked once and that was for running up the pitch with the ball up his shirt! He was given two testimonials.

Telford obviously have high hopes and expectations and if our stadium is anything on the same lines I will be most impressed :roll:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Bucks_Chat/i ... opic=15316

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Bucks_Chat/i ... opic=15313
Last edited by marky No.1 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby nobbyshrimp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:44 pm

http://www.shropshirestar.com/2008/11/2 ... r-bentley/
Well done Jim.

The new Bucks Head will be very very similar to the new stadium at Morecambe in style and size (I hope). I personally prefer it to Shrewsbury's new stadium. The Bucks has a capacity of aound 6300 including 2000 seats but has one open sided terrace. Make this terrace slightly wider and cover it, adding another 500 to the capacity. Add another 100 seats and Hey Presto, the new Morecambe Stadium, or at least I hope so. Telford's is a brilliant stadium and is clean, modern with good facilities, yet has terracing on the ends for those prefer to stand...like me!
nobbyshrimp

Postby Mark S » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Dead chuffed for Jim and his family. It must have been bitter sweet for them with Jack not there to see it himself, but what a great honour. They must be very proud.

One things for sure, if we have a similar hall of fame Jim will be in it.
Mark S

Postby Christies Child » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Mark S wrote:Dead chuffed for Jim and his family. It must have been bitter sweet for them with Jack not there to see it himself, but what a great honour. They must be very proud.

One things for sure, if we have a similar hall of fame Jim will be in it.

.not 'if' Mark, a definate 'when'....
Christies Child

Postby Phoenix » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Jack wasn't a stranger at Christie. If anyone can remember a photo of Jim looking up to the main stand after the York playoff game, he was looking to his dad. There was a photo of him in the main stand taken at the same time which I never made public, I'll try to put it online tonight.
Phoenix

Return to General Discussion