Sammy

Sammy

Postby Posh » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:16 pm

As regulars will know I've been one of Sammy's critics over the last month or so. It's worth saying why before I continue to my main point.

Like everyone I'll be eternally grateful to Sammy for getting us promoted to the Football League and for the amazing start we had at this level. However since we were assured safety performances began to fall away. This was completely understandable and was arguably exacerbated by poor performances from players destined to leave the club. However following Sammy's comments at the end of the season about existing players and the need for an overhaul I was expecting something more from our new players. The loss of Thommo and Carl Baker was inevitable but they weren't replaced and, in my view, it raised a lot of concerns particular once the season began in earnest. Many of these I've commented on but included a lack of pace, uncertainty over the best side, quality of players brought in etc.

Initially I think Sammy's shared similar concerns, and here's my main point, I think it's taken time but he's reacted brilliantly to it.

Firstly, faced with a lack of pace and attacking options he's switched our formation to a 5-3-2 cum 3-5-2, which has worked really well in injecting pace down the flanks, giving our midfield more options and time, and also allowed strikers to come into the game.

Secondly, he's been man enough to realise his mistakes or to bite the bullet on certain decisions. He's brought Craig Stanley back into the fold, which has really made us look a better side as much for his effort as anything. I'm sure they haven't kissed and made up but I employ some people I don't like but if their good at their job and making money I ain't complaining. The same goes for Drummy and Adam Yates.

Next, after a wobble with Dan Smith, he's taken full advantage of the loan market. I'm not a massive fan of Rene Howe but he's a decent player; Ryan McGivern looks quality, has given us real attacking options and is enjoying himself; and, of course, Danny Carlton, who worked phenomenally well on Saturday and helped create both goals.

Finally, he could have got upset with the criticism directed at him from the Main Stand and with the problems on the pitch and decided maybe his future was better off elsewhere. Instead he's decided to extend his contract because he believes we've got a great future and he's the man to take us there.

In our present circumstances, in my view, he's the best man for the job.

Good luck Sammy - and Mark of course.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Re: Sammy

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Oh my God Sammy - look out!!!!!

The dreaded vote of confidence :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:42 pm

AGREED! (with Posh)
o/t We saw him play for Man.Utd at Wrexham yesterday wearing the No.7 shirt. Liverpool won 4.2 .He played the 1st half hour then came back on after half time (after a rest and a glass of wine) to play the full 2nd half. Was very impressed with his fitness. These guys may not run around like rabbits any more but they sure make up for it by playing good passing football on the deck!
Liverpool dominated most of the game with McAteer, Saunders, Aldridge and McManaman going forward and Durnin scoring a fantastic 1st goal from 25 yards.
When Jan Molby came on there was just no way past for Sammy, Lee Sharpe and Andy Ritchie. Molby just stood in front of his penalty area and created a road block! made D.A. look like a whippet :lol:
can't think why Mark wright did'nt play :lol: :lol:
http://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/page/NewsDe ... 81,00.html
A great weekend :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Phoenix » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:47 pm

Considering the directors, Sammy & Mark had a "quiet meal" in Manchester saturday night, he did very well on Sunday :lol:
Phoenix

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:52 pm

Posh wrote:As regulars will know I've been one of Sammy's critics over the last month or so. It's worth saying why before I continue to my main point.

Like everyone I'll be eternally grateful to Sammy for getting us promoted to the Football League and for the amazing start we had at this level. However since we were assured safety performances began to fall away. This was completely understandable and was arguably exacerbated by poor performances from players destined to leave the club. However following Sammy's comments at the end of the season about existing players and the need for an overhaul I was expecting something more from our new players. The loss of Thommo and Carl Baker was inevitable but they weren't replaced and, in my view, it raised a lot of concerns particular once the season began in earnest. Many of these I've commented on but included a lack of pace, uncertainty over the best side, quality of players brought in etc.

Initially I think Sammy's shared similar concerns, and here's my main point, I think it's taken time but he's reacted brilliantly to it.

Firstly, faced with a lack of pace and attacking options he's switched our formation to a 5-3-2 cum 3-5-2, which has worked really well in injecting pace down the flanks, giving our midfield more options and time, and also allowed strikers to come into the game.

Secondly, he's been man enough to realise his mistakes or to bite the bullet on certain decisions. He's brought Craig Stanley back into the fold, which has really made us look a better side as much for his effort as anything. I'm sure they haven't kissed and made up but I employ some people I don't like but if their good at their job and making money I ain't complaining. The same goes for Drummy and Adam Yates.

Next, after a wobble with Dan Smith, he's taken full advantage of the loan market. I'm not a massive fan of Rene Howe but he's a decent player; Ryan McGivern looks quality, has given us real attacking options and is enjoying himself; and, of course, Danny Carlton, who worked phenomenally well on Saturday and helped create both goals.

Finally, he could have got upset with the criticism directed at him from the Main Stand and with the problems on the pitch and decided maybe his future was better off elsewhere. Instead he's decided to extend his contract because he believes we've got a great future and he's the man to take us there.

In our present circumstances, in my view, he's the best man for the job.

Good luck Sammy - and Mark of course.

Fortunately Sammy has been around long enough to realise that no matter what a manager does that there will always be a small number who will complain about everything.

I've been a critic of the guy in the past and spoken to him about it on numerous occassions, but at the end of the day we've shaken hands and had a laugh about it.

Even Sir Alex has a section at 'The Theatre of Dreams' who don't agree with everything he does.

It goes with the job.

It's when it gets abusive and highly personal that I draw the line.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion