delays O/T

Re: delays O/T

Postby Phoenix » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:12 pm

It's a regular route home for many people but still never too busy. Only when there's problems in Lancaster or the M6 does it get busy but I can't remember it ever taking more than a half hour. No fumes from the exhaust in front that you can't get away from, beautiful scenery and always on the move. By the time I get home I'm usually in a good mood which gets the evening off to a nice start.
Phoenix

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:49 pm

I take the back rd out of the uni and go home that way when we know traffic is bad. I ended up getting stuck in traffic this morning up to skerton but then went through Halton. I had to pick up my car share buddy up in Skerton been the green that I am.
If I hadn't have had my car share buddy I could have gone up past the Crem and not got stuck on Torrisholme rd so trying to be green didnt really work as I just sat there in traffic burning fuel for 30+ mins.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Richard Head » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:20 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I ended up getting stuck in traffic this morning up to skerton but then went through Halton. I had to pick up my car share buddy up in Skerton been the green that I am.
If I hadn't have had my car share buddy I could have gone up past the Crem and not got stuck on Torrisholme rd so trying to be green didnt really work as I just sat there in traffic burning fuel for 30+ mins.

You could have turned round when you got stuck on Torrisholme Road, rung your car share buddy and asked him to walk to Beaumont and picked him up there
Richard Head

Postby slackAlice » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Phoenix wrote:It's a regular route home for many people but still never too busy. Only when there's problems in Lancaster or the M6 does it get busy but I can't remember it ever taking more than a half hour. No fumes from the exhaust in front that you can't get away from, beautiful scenery and always on the move. By the time I get home I'm usually in a good mood which gets the evening off to a nice start.

Or if the Crook 'O Lune route gets too busy , you could always go out towards Bolton Le Sands on the Coastal Rd, through B Le Sands through Kellet and out past the Red Well carry on towards Kirkby Lonsdale drop down through Gressingham , through Hornby - Claughton - Brookhouse - Littledale , past the Scout Hut - Nr Clougha drop down to Quernmore school and hey presto your in Lancaster.
Some spectacular scenery on this route - probably creeping up to about 20 miles -but I wouldn't of thought you'd meet much traffic - the odd tractor maybe ?
slackAlice

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:46 pm

or, you could get a bike! Morecambe-lancaster 10 mins tops!
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 pm

Bikes are great but with laptop and other kit I carry around it's a problem. Nor would they be handy for the run I did last week, Morecambe - Norwich - Cardiff - Melton Mowbray - Morecambe.
Phoenix

Postby Why no t » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:44 pm

And it's bloody cold on a bike.
Life without football is.......
Why no t

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 pm

Coming off the M6 at Galgate this morning was a bloody nightmare.

Not sure why, but traffic was queing actually on the M6 to get off. Never seen it like that before.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby seasonsinthesun » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:02 am

On a day when there's no major holdups in Lancaster i.e.Gas mains repairs, general roadworks, lorries overturned etc.etc. I find the route turning left off J.34 and going across Denny Beck Halton Slyne Torrisholme to get to West End/Heysham area takes approx. 20-25 mins and is about 8 miles and much more relaxing (apart from catching your tyres /wing mirrors at the dreaded little bridge!! :(
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Richard Head » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:04 am

Why dont they forget the bypass and just widen Denny Beck bridge :D
Richard Head

Postby matty » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Surprised the car-sharing option hasn't been discussed.

Lose count of how many cars I pass when I walk to work that have one person in them.

I appreciate that this isn't possible for everyone but would be for the majority - less of a carbon footprint, cheaper and quicker.
Its all in the hips.
matty

Postby shrimper » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:41 pm

Off/Off/Topic

True Story
Mate of mine waited for his car share lift back from Kendal some years ago (before mobile phones).
Lift didn't come. He waited. And waited. Still didn't come. After about three quarters of an hour he got the bus that was just leaving and arrived back home at Hest Bank about an hour and a half late.
Walked through the door, fuming at his 'car share buddies', to be greeted by his wife and was just launching into his 'they damned well left me, I waited for more than...." - when his wife asked: "Where's the car, Michael?"**

HE'D taken his three mates that morning and had left the car in Kendal. They'd been ringing his house and his Mrs had fielded their calls.

**Not a 'Michael' from this board BTW.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby parceldave » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:28 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:On a day when there's no major holdups in Lancaster i.e.Gas mains repairs, general roadworks, lorries overturned etc.etc. I find the route turning left off J.34 and going across Denny Beck Halton Slyne Torrisholme to get to West End/Heysham area takes approx. 20-25 mins and is about 8 miles and much more relaxing (apart from catching your tyres /wing mirrors at the dreaded little bridge!! :(

If you get into Lancaster early enough there arn't many traffic problems anyway. If i can get away from depot in Leyland at 6.45 i can be on Grosvenor Park at 7.20 getting some poor bugger out of bed. ;)
parceldave

Postby seasonsinthesun » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:32 am

When I was mentioning the Denny Beck route, I should have said that it is particularly relevant at evening rush hour when anyone is trying to get from M6 to Halton or Slyne or Hest Bank or Torrisholme or West End/Morecambe or Heysham.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Weetabix Kid » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:02 pm

rumour going round theres anouther crash and Morecambe rd shut again ??
Weetabix Kid

Postby Matt Donlan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Matt Donlan

Postby Richard Head » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:28 pm

Lancaster bound traffic is stationary on Torrrisholme Road
Richard Head

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:39 pm

Does anyone know what traffic is like on Torrisholme rd round the back of the park heading from Lancasater to Torrisholme. I will go over the tops and come out at Skerton but need to get down Torrisholme Rd.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Richard Head » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Morecambe bound traffic is moving OK at the 2 mini roundabouts near the Spar shop at the Torrisholme Road/Scale Hall Lane junction but i dont know what its like by the park
Richard Head

Previous

Return to General Discussion