o/t Linfield player gets a rocket up the a*** - literally!

o/t Linfield player gets a rocket up the a*** - literally!

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: o/t Linfield player gets a rocket up the a*** - literally!

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:04 pm

The cameraman was first there and just stood there taking pictures :o
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Posh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:40 pm

It's all relative. I remember watching a game in 1987 between Linfield and Donegal Celtic in the Irish FA Cup. Two sets of fans in one corner goading the hell out of each other when after about 20 minutes one of the Linfield supporters lobbed a grenade into the Donegal Celtic supporters. Thankfully it didn't explode but you should have seen them run. The same thing happened versus Cliftonville in the nineties.

I also remember an England v Northern Ireland friendly at Windsor Park. We were in the Riverside End and someone pulled out a handgun and strated firing shots into the roof 'for a laugh'. The kick off was delayed because a car bomb was near the ground but only the detonator had gone off. On the way out, I heard later on the news, someone was shot about 100 yards from the ground.

At another game between my team Glentoran and Cliftonville it was a bit unsavoury inside the ground - which I wasn't used to but had expected. However outside the ground we (about 1,500 Glens fans) got on the main road and started walking into town surrounded by about 400 coppers and a few army vehicles in support. On both sides of the road were hundreds of local Republicans. In what seemed like about 10 seconds a bottle was followed by a brick, then tons of them, then people on both sides put on balaclavas, then a petrol bomb or two and I was running like mad leaving behind a mini warzone. As usual it warranted about 5 seconds in the news.

At another game Glentoran v Linfield the police baton charged Glens fans inside the ground. And another Glentoran v RUC in the fabulously named Cawoods County Antrim Centenary Challenge Chalice we were out-numbered about 5 to 1 by machine gun totting police.

It definitely made going to matches more interesting.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby shrimper » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Aaah, happy days, eh?

I remember at a Spurs v Chelsea game in the late 1970s someone threw a can of Alphabetti Spaghetti with a grenade in it from their section into the Spurs fans. Luckily it didn't go off or it could have spelled disaster.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Posh wrote:It's all relative...

As ever, Mike's offers an interesting insight as to what it was like to be in Belfast during the depths of the troubles. However, I take exception to the term "it's all relative". If someone at a Morecambe game shouted at a coloured play "get home to your own country" or something equally stupid, we wouldn't respond with "it's all relative, back in the seventies and eighties he'd have had bananas thrown at him and half the ground making monkey noises" would we?

This was a thug at a football match and they should be condemned unequivocally.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Aal » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:34 pm

I saw this on the BBC website. Quite shocking in this day and age. I mean how did Cliftonville fans get a firework into a football ground. It could have been much worse.

Only hope this is a one off :evil: :evil:
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:44 pm

"A chair, a bottle and a leg of lamb are all believed to have been thrown toward the pitch by angry Ballymena fans. "

why the hell do you take a leg of lamb in to the ground???? :? :?
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Mark S » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:48 pm

outsider wrote:"A chair, a bottle and a leg of lamb are all believed to have been thrown toward the pitch by angry Ballymena fans. "

Come on! Who hasnt sneaked a joint in before now? :lol:
Mark S

Postby steve mfc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Mark S wrote:
outsider wrote:"A chair, a bottle and a leg of lamb are all believed to have been thrown toward the pitch by angry Ballymena fans. "

Come on! Who hasnt sneaked a joint in before now? :lol:

WARNING.......This discussion has just gone too pot.
steve mfc

Postby ezz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Aal wrote:I saw this on the BBC website. Quite shocking in this day and age. I mean how did Cliftonville fans get a firework into a football ground. It could have been much worse.

Only hope this is a one off :evil: :evil:

Not being funny but you could sneak anything you wanted into christie park...... you'd have to have a 200 tonne nuclear missile shape in your coat to be searched and suspicious :lol: :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:55 am

shrimper wrote:Aaah, happy days, eh?

I remember at a Spurs v Chelsea game in the late 1970s someone threw a can of Alphabetti Spaghetti with a grenade in it from their section into the Spurs fans. Luckily it didn't go off or it could have spelled disaster.

Is that D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R :lol:

Almost went un-noticed

W h o o o o o s h :!:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Posh » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:44 pm

Keith wrote:
Posh wrote:It's all relative...

As ever, Mike's offers an interesting insight as to what it was like to be in Belfast during the depths of the troubles. However, I take exception to the term "it's all relative". If someone at a Morecambe game shouted at a coloured play "get home to your own country" or something equally stupid, we wouldn't respond with "it's all relative, back in the seventies and eighties he'd have had bananas thrown at him and half the ground making monkey noises" would we?

This was a thug at a football match and they should be condemned unequivocally.

I take exception exceptionally to your exception.

By saying 'it's all relative' I was in no way condoning what was a horrific attack, I was merely saying that it's only relative to the scale and frequency of what happened before. Trust you to turn a throw away comment into a Brand / Ross style crucifixion. I merely shared a few whimsical anecdotes with the public and you from your lofty position atop a chair or something pour your bilious scorn down like the fire of Hades on me. Me, just a poor, innocent, child of humanity and you acting like some Thor-esque sword of Damaclese waving all-powerful red-horned bugger to ill-treat me and berate me.

Well mister the fight back starts here http://www.accountancymagazine.com/cron ... Cookie=yes.

*stops before irony wears off*
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Posh wrote:Well mister the fight back starts here http://www.accountancymagazine.com/cron ... Cookie=yes.

*stops before irony wears off*

The bastard! And to think, I thought he was one of the good guys! How could he say such things???

And that Obama bloke has gone down in my estimation too!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mighty Red » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:32 pm

shrimper wrote

I think he meant "spelt".

Spelt is the past tense conjugation of the verb "to spell", meaning "To constitute the letters of a word".

"Spelled" is the American past tense.
Mighty Red

Postby shrimper » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:31 pm

Both are perfectly acceptable and have been for very many years. Traditionally, I grant you, 'spelt' was the preferred UK version but even English grammar scholars and most authoritative dictionaries (I bet, I haven't checked) now happily accept 'spelled' (and it IS the preferred version in UK media stylebooks).

I preferred it particularly in this instance as it implies, to me, more of an active sense; you get a picture of the letters falling in an arrangement that would spell out the word. Whereas 'spelt' would, to me, imply more that we were looking at an arrangement that had been there a while.

For example, I'd use 'spelt' in the sentence "I saw a sign and 'Morecambe' was spelt incorrectly," yet I'd say: "The man writing the sign spelled Morecambe incorrectly."

So, to all extents and purposes and in any meaningful way you'd care to consider appropriate, ner!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby wijit » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:20 pm

I remember well going to Stamford Bridge (as an away supporter) in the 80's, getting severely twatted by a couple of the Met (doing nothing other than walking from the tube to the ground) and being dragged away to safety by some of Chelsea's infamous headhunters.
They got me a beer too!
wijit

Postby Mighty Red » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:01 pm

Respect to the shrimper-meister.
Mighty Red

Postby B.H.C #3 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Respect to the Wijit-meister imo.
B.H.C #3

Return to General Discussion