Thoughts on today.

Thoughts on today.

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:35 am

First and foremost elated that we got through. It's always good to be in the draw for the next round of the FA Cup, particularly when we're so depleted. I really didn't fancy our chances today with so many players out and Grimsby making 3 solid loan signings who all played.

Also thought Frazer McLachlan had another strong game in the middle, competing well and breaking up many Grimsby moves before they got going. Drummy also appears back to his best and is chipping in with goals. The whole team passed the ball well today and looked reasonably solid throughout.

Definitely the highlight though was Aaron Taylor. The lad is probably lacking a yard of pace and sometimes gets muscled off the ball by robust Division 2 defenders, but what a finisher! He has that talent which is god given and can't really be coached. If he can find the strength and extra pace then we have a potential major talent on our hands. I'm sure Sammy and the team will be working overtime to develop him and if his progress continues I for one can't wait to see him in another couple of years or so.
Burnley Shrimp

Re: Thoughts on today.

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:46 am

Due to work, couldn't attend Grimsby game. Can someone please give me a quick summary on who is cutting the mustard? Sounds like Fraser is doing well, which is great after his serious injury. Also, do we know who might get back to fitness for the Deva? Thanks in anticipation. :|
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby shrimper » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:13 am

Fraser did break play up really well and never let their midfielders settle. Just wish he had the confidence to move forward with the ball more after doing that, he does seem to want to play it backwards a lot. Nit-picking there, though. Generally he was very effective and has looked fitter and nippier each successive game.

Drummy played it around well with good support by Stanners. Wainwright won the ball well and beat his man a few times but his final ball wasn't as good as it has been.

Agree on Taylor. Needs to still work on his general game more and get quicker and stronger but there's no denying his scoring instinct. The header - his second really good headed goal for us in recent weeks - was a true striker's goal from a cross and something we've not had consistently since Coley.

McStay was alert at the back, as were Jim and Danny and Roche had another great game - his kicking has been awesome since he joined us, no idea at all what Chesterfield fans were on about before he joined us.

I thought McCann did some good stuff when he came on, passing well, getting involved in attacks and crossing accurately.

O'Carroll, as well, controlled the ball better and brought others into play with some neat passes, impressed by him today.

Grimsby were poor, admittedly, but we can only look at our own performance and they can all be pretty pleased, I reckon.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:45 am

Thankyou Shrimper, much appreciated. Now waiting for the Cup draw. Will it be:
:o or :shock: or :)
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Return to General Discussion