Ryan Mcgiven in Northern Ireland Squad

Ryan Mcgiven in Northern Ireland Squad

Postby Old Man Kensey » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:45 am

Ryan McGivern has been named in the Northern Ireland squad to face Hungary on Wednesday week because manager Nigel Worthington doesn’t want to punish him twice.

The Manchester City defender — who is currently on-loan with League Two side Morecambe — was sent-off on his debut against Scotland in August.

There are no laws governing red cards in friendies and Worthington has chosen — for the time being — to overlook the unwritten rule of making players miss the next non-competitive game.

“Ryan McGivern was always going to be in the squad,” said Worthington.

“I am not ignoring the agreement, I know it’s there, but we’ve got to think of ourselves.

“Should George McCartney or whoever not turn up for whatever reasons do we have alternatives? No, so if Ryan is there he will go in.

“Thats not to say that if all the others are fit he won’t get part of the game.

“Yes he got sent-off, but he has learned from that. Do I punish him? No.

“He is doing well at Morecambe. It’s better than playing reserve team football.”

Looks like he made it due to playing for us ;)
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Re: Ryan Mcgiven in Northern Ireland Squad

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:16 pm

He is a fantastic player and deserves the call up for Northern Ireland....Hope we can keep him on loan till may!!! :D
thegentlegiant

Re: Ryan Mcgiven in Northern Ireland Squad

Postby Phoenix » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:55 pm

We only have him for another 2 weekends, one month loan deal arranged 24th October. Hopefully that can be extended but who knows if he's playing so well. I was going to say more scouts have appeared in the last few weeks since his arrival but thinking about it they usually do at this time of season as we lead up to the January transfer window.
Phoenix

Return to General Discussion