Sammy extension

Re: Sammy extension

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Neil G wrote:Perhaps you would like to explain to us all the 'exact science' of football so that every club in the country can win the league and keep it's fickle supporters happy :roll:

Car Wash Kev wrote:4 wins in 37 games

Neil G wrote:influenced by the 4 wins in 37 games quote, precisely the point I was trying to make.

I'm confused Neil, are you saying it's a good thing Sammy got an extension after 4 wins in 37 games? Or supporters are "fickle" for expecting more than 4 wins in 37 games to make them happy? Or that 4 wins in 37 games isn't a good enough reason for Posh, Car Wash Kev, CC to think that an extension isn't yet warranted?

Car Wash Kev, I'd like to add my warm welcome to that friendly one of Neil, and hope your first post is subsequently followed by a great many more!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Voice at the back » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 pm

I think it is always good news whenever any manager extends his contract as it adds to the stability in the club (As long as people aren't calling for his head, which I don't think any body is in Sammy's case).

Regarding the timing i think it will give the lads a bit of a boost on Sat.

Little Club - Well we are and I don't take it as an insult just Sammy being affectionate :lol:
Voice at the back

Postby Car Wash Kev » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Neil please could you tell me how to be positive with a stat of 4 wins in 37 games.

thanks for the welcome keith.
Car Wash Kev

Postby Voice at the back » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Must admit 4 in 37 is a bit concerning :( .

Praise them or critisise them when its justified thats what a message board is for isn't it :?:

Lets hope we have turned a corner and Sat produces something special.
Voice at the back

Postby Moose » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:48 pm

Car Wash Kev wrote:Neil please could you tell me how to be positive with a stat of 4 wins in 37 games.

Well you just have to err... well you... err... you could try err... Hhmm.... if you look at err...

Over to you Neil...
Moose

Postby cultured » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Sammy is a victim of his own success.
cultured

Postby The Fury » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Sammy will be judged, fully, by me at least, presuming we have maintained our Football League status, one season after the new stadium is operational. If, then, his signings have been as weak as this summer's have, and no discernible progress has been made, then he cannot warrant another contract.

For the moment, however, I think he has done enough to justify the extension. But this does not exempt him from criticism. How we fair next season will be extremely interesting to see as we will not have the platform of teams with points deductions to fend off a relegation threat and without the 'pulling factor' the new stadium and its training facilities will have, I would expect the ‘cycle of poor players’ to continue and, therefore, a tough relegation battle to ensue.

No new contract for Mark Lillis though? Intriguing?

Right, after airing that little ray of sunshine, I’m off to continue my volunteer work on the phones at the Samaritans. Only three suicides following conversations with me last week – improvements are being made.
The Fury

Postby Posh » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Neil G wrote:It's dissapointing to see you losing your faith in our players, the chairman, the board and the management team who made the decisions that brought us league football.

Utter and complete bollocks. As someone who works with Morecambe FC in his own time on things like the club website I really resent your remarks.

I've not lost faith in the players, chairman or the board at all and for anything. If you can prove otherwise then say it now. I'm completely and utterly behind the club. I've merely said that we could have waited a week.

It's pretty clear from my previous comments that I'm not sure about Sammy's ability to take us where our chairman wants us to go, .e.g. League 1. That's all.

Now go shout at someone else.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Right, after airing that little ray of sunshine, I’m off to continue my volunteer work on the phones at the Samaritans. Only three suicides following conversations with me last week – improvements are being made.[/quote]

and i bet it's still easier than been on here :lol:
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Christies Child » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:18 pm

Neil G wrote:Still detecting some bitterness in the CC and Posh posts, perhaps you fellas would prefer it if we were still with JH in the 'ever so friendly and lovely day out' Blue Square Premier League ( 4th from bottom )

For two blokes who have been such fervent supporters of the club for as long as I can remember it's dissapointing to see you losing your faith in our players, the chairman, the board and the management team who made the decisions that brought us league football. :(

Perhaps you would like to explain to us all the 'exact science' of football so that every club in the country can win the league and keep it's fickle supporters happy :roll:

To echo Posh....utter bollocks! To even suggest that I'd loose faith in the Board shows you know sod all about me.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Mark S » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Just been looking back at last season and it makes interesting reading.

This time last season in The League we had Won 4, Drawn 6 and lost 5

This season we have Won 2, Drawn 7 and lost 6.

So we have only lost one more and drawn one more than this time last season. Hardly a massive backwards step. Our most successful month was December when we played 4 and won 4. Things would be a lot different if we had drawn the Port Vale Game (and I still wonder how we didnt) and beaten Accrington.

I think that last year we had the Carling Cup success that gave us a false sense of success and a good JPT run.

Sammy deserves a job here as long as he wants one. He got us up his first full season in charge and has given us some of the best footballing days ever (York at home,Wembley, Barnet at home, Deepdale, Molineux, Bradford at home, Peterborough at home). Statistics dont capture feelings.

IMO We should be talking about how we go about getting a statue of him outside the new ground rather than if he deserves a contract extension!

Just my opinion, not aimed at anyone.
Mark S

Postby Christies Child » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Mark S wrote:Just been looking back at last season and it makes interesting reading.

So we have only lost one more and drawn one more than this time last season. Hardly a massive backwards step. Our most successful month was December when we played 4 and won 4. Things would be a lot different if we had drawn the Port Vale Game (and I still wonder how we didnt) and beaten Accrington.

I think that last year we had the Carling Cup success that gave us a false sense of success and a good JPT run.

Sammy deserves a job here as long as he wants one. He got us up his first full season in charge and has given us some of the best footballing days ever (York at home,Wembley, Barnet at home, Deepdale, Molineux, Bradford at home, Peterborough at home). Statistics dont capture feelings.

IMO We should be talking about how we go about getting a statue of him outside the new ground rather than if he deserves a contract extension!

Irrespective of results ??????

Still think it's been a bit too premature.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:42 pm

Christies Child wrote:Still think it's been a bit too premature.

With respect, he proved a lot of his doubters (including your good self) very wrong at the start of his first full season with us, and deserves the chance to do so again.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:05 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Still think it's been a bit too premature.

With respect, he proved a lot of his doubters (including your good self) very wrong at the start of his first full season with us, and deserves the chance to do so again.

Yes he did and all credit to the guy.

My concern however is the future. I genuinely want any manager of our club to succeed....hell I even wanted Eric Whalley to succeed, but I sincerely believe that the award of a new contract is just too soon. For me, it should have waited until February, after the closure of the next transfer window, at which time we will have a better view of the bigger picture.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Christies Child wrote: For me, it should have waited until February, after the closure of the next transfer window, at which time we will have a better view of the bigger picture.

And how many players will see the manager signing them staying until the end of the following season as a more attractive prospect than the manager signing them possibly being gone at the end of the season?
campdave

Postby ezz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:33 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^

good point ;)
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:42 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote: For me, it should have waited until February, after the closure of the next transfer window, at which time we will have a better view of the bigger picture.

And how many players will see the manager signing them staying until the end of the following season as a more attractive prospect than the manager signing them possibly being gone at the end of the season?

Bloody hell, the other day I was in agreement with eez, now I'm in agreement with campdave... I've been in the sun too long!!! :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mark S » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:49 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Mark S wrote:Just been looking back at last season and it makes interesting reading.

Irrespective of results ??????

Still think it's been a bit too premature.

The point is the 'results' havent been much worse than this time last season (a point you are ignoring) and no one would have questioned a contract extension then.

Sammy has been the best manager we have ever had in terms of delivering and I dont understand why we suddenly think that we could potentially do better.

If Jim Harvey deserved 10 years to try and get us to the next level, Sammy deserves 20.
Mark S

Postby mounse mk2 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Completely agree Mark.

Let Sammy continue with the great job he's been doing and i'm sure will continue to do.

We all get frustrated, hell i went to the bar behind the North Stand after 30 minutes against Rochdale because we were that bad.

But Sammy is the man for me. I've almost forgotten he played for Man Utd.
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:05 pm

mounse mk2 wrote:Completely agree Mark.

Let Sammy continue with the great job he's been doing and i'm sure will continue to do.

We all get frustrated, hell i went to the bar behind the North Stand after 30 minutes against Rochdale because we were that bad.

But Sammy is the man for me. I've almost forgotten he played for Man Utd.

Stop bloody shouting Italian mumblings as the players names are read out :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby Neil G » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:47 am

Utter and complete bollocks

Don't swear at me, it's you feckers that started the mischief by being Negative Neds :lol:

Take it easy Posh you'll end up looking like you're avatar.

To echo Posh....utter bollocks! To even suggest that I'd loose faith in the Board shows you know sod all about me

Everybody knows about you CC, because you tell us all about yourself almost every day on here, I also stand between you and the dug out on matchdays so I know exactly how often Sammy gets your advice whether he wants it or not :roll:

If you don't agree with the boards decision that's fair enough but personally I do, I think Mcillroys appointment was the best thing that happened at this football club and I support him because he's given me some of the most enjoyable football days of my life, I'm not going to waste my time trying to justify that belief to a load of old Jim Harvey loyalists (that includes you for sticking your predictable oar in as well Keith :D )

Onwards and upwards, we'll resume at 16:45 today shall we ;)
Neil G

Postby Christies Child » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:09 pm

Neil G wrote:
Utter and complete bollocks

Don't swear at me, it's you feckers that started the mischief by being Negative Neds :lol:

Take it easy Posh you'll end up looking like you're avatar.

To echo Posh....utter bollocks! To even suggest that I'd loose faith in the Board shows you know sod all about me

Everybody knows about you CC, because you tell us all about yourself almost every day on here, I also stand between you and the dug out on matchdays so I know exactly how often Sammy gets your advice whether he wants it or not :roll:
If you don't agree with the boards decision that's fair enough but personally I do, I think Mcillroys appointment was the best thing that happened at this football club and I support him because he's given me some of the most enjoyable football days of my life, I'm not going to waste my time trying to justify that belief to a load of old Jim Harvey loyalists (that includes you for sticking your predictable oar in as well Keith :D )

Onwards and upwards, we'll resume at 16:45 today shall we ;)

Must be an imposter then....as I'm actually one of the grumpy 'old farts' who sit in the stand.

As for giving Sammy advice.....If suggesting we get more men in the box; if suggesting that we don't relinquish midfield; if suggesting we play it on the deck; if suggesting we go for it from the off....then I plead GUILTY.

With regards to being an old Harvey loyalist....once again GUILTY, but that doesn't mean that I want him back. In fact far from it. JH will go down as the manager who raised the profile of our club, but Sammy will be remembered for delivering us into the Football League.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:28 pm

Neil G wrote:...I'm not going to waste my time trying to justify that belief to a load of old Jim Harvey loyalists (that includes you for sticking your predictable oar in as well Keith :D )

Eh? What have I got to do with this? Regarding Sammy's extension, I think this was the right time to sort it out...

Keith wrote:
Posh wrote:Sarcasm aside. I understand and share PMG's comments but signs of improvement surely needed to materialise before announcing an extension. E.g. waiting until after the FA Cup game - our last chance at making some extra revenue this season.

Alternatively, it's the ideal time to announce it, having a positive story before what is actually a big game in terms of importance and one that on current form, we'd expect to win?

Keith wrote:
campdave wrote:

Bloody hell, the other day I was in agreement with eez, now I'm in agreement with campdave... I've been in the sun too long!!! :lol:

The other comment I posted was simply to point out that you asked a question, you got an answer. You then sarcastically responded to a first time poster... 'twas that simple! 8-)

And finally... just to point out to CC...

Christies Child wrote:
Neil G wrote:I also stand between you and the dug out on matchdays so I know exactly how often Sammy gets your advice whether he wants it or not :roll:

Must be an imposter then....as I'm actually one of the grumpy 'old farts' who sit in the stand.

There are people who stand between where you sit and where the management sit... you know, where those paddock trouble makers stand that got so much attention recently :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mark S » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:03 pm

Sooooo......

A better run than last year in The FA Cup already.

Whereabouts shall we put that statue? :D
Mark S

Postby steve mfc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Mark S wrote:Sooooo......

A better run than last year in The FA Cup already.

Whereabouts shall we put that statue? :D

In the North stand where it would be appreciated ;)
steve mfc

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion