Jon Newby

Jon Newby

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Oh what i wouldn't give to have him available at the moment.

Is he getting a game at Burton...if not ?????????????

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Jon Newby

Postby cultured » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:23 pm

So, now we'd like to sign someone who can't get into the front line of a conference club?

I'm sure Ryan Sugden is available if we want him too and want to go the whole hog.
cultured

Postby Duffman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:26 pm

Get Rogan on!............ :o
Duffman

Postby Abbo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Newby should not have been let go in the first place, Howe and Newby up front would have been a good partnership.
Abbo

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:35 pm

cultured wrote:So, now we'd like to sign someone who can't get into the front line of a conference club?

I'm sure Ryan Sugden is available if we want him too and want to go the whole hog.

Last seasons top goal scorer.....!!!!!!!!

Sammy keeps on about getting a loan player in ......well at least we know what he can do.

With only 2 strikers available until RH and WC return in 2 / 3 weeks JN would be the ideal solution.

Yes????????
Christies Child

Postby Pandashrimp » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:51 pm

No!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong he did a job last year but he's gone now, and in the end i believe rightfully so. We are short of options up top but O'Carroll should now be given a fair run in the team, his link up play is far better than Newby's and although our one other fit striking option is unexperienced, i don't think bringing back a journeyman who isn't playing for Burton and was thrown out by Southport is the right option.

Mcgivern was the best bit of business Sammy has done sinced Baker. More of the same please. There must be loads of hungry higher league forwards desperate for a few run outs, who we could afford a months salary of. FORWARD NOT BACK
Pandashrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Pandashrimp wrote:No!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong he did a job last year but he's gone now, and in the end i believe rightfully so. We are short of options up top but O'Carroll should now be given a fair run in the team, his link up play is far better than Newby's and although our one other fit striking option is unexperienced, i don't think bringing back a journeyman who isn't playing for Burton and was thrown out by Southport is the right option.

Mcgivern was the best bit of business Sammy has done sinced Baker. More of the same please. There must be loads of hungry higher league forwards desperate for a few run outs, who we could afford a months salary of. FORWARD NOT BACK

Welcome to the Forum Pandashrimp.
Christies Child

Postby Pandashrimp » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:23 pm

:lol: My good friend negative Ned advised me to register. ;)
Pandashrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Pandashrimp wrote::lol: My good friend negative Ned advised me to register. ;)

You must be his ONLY friend then....????

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Christies Child

Postby Number 1 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:43 pm

Jon Newby has gone. Get over it. He hasn't gone anywhere higher, and isn't knocking them in for anyone else at the moment, so the decision to release him was obviously the correct one. Why do people suddenly think that all of a sudden he's a world beater? He had a good goals ratio, but over a full season, didn't really cut the mustard.
Number 1

Postby thegentlegiant » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Jon Newby was a good player 4 us but we require a better striker someone who will demand the ball up front...Lets get a player from championship or prem.!!!
thegentlegiant

Postby campdave » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:52 pm

thegentlegiant wrote:Jon Newby was a good player 4 us but we require a better striker someone who will demand the ball up front...Lets get a player from championship or prem.!!!

Carlos Tevez isn't playing much at the minute
campdave

Postby Abbo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 pm

I havnt seen Howe, O'Carroll,Taylor or Blinkhorn (when fit }banging the goals in this season and i think Newbs would have done a job for the team
Abbo

Postby cultured » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:40 am

Christies Child wrote:
cultured wrote:So, now we'd like to sign someone who can't get into the front line of a conference club?

Sammy keeps on about getting a loan player in ......well at least we know what he can do.

With only 2 strikers available until RH and WC return in 2 / 3 weeks JN would be the ideal solution.

Yes????????

No.

Last season - 11 appearances(21 as sub) 6 goals - 3 againsta Rotherham side that hadn't been paid in months and had tossed it off, 3 goals the other 30 - one against Darlo (OK did well) Wrexham (relegated) Grimsby (after season was over)

This season - 6 starts 8 as sub between Morton and Burton - 1 goal.

Hardly the prolific striker we need. Surely we can borrow someone who might turn out to be not good enough, rather than hire someone we know isn't good enough.

I'm sure Jim McLuskeys free also, tell him to bring his boots?

Again I'll say this. Trust Sammy. We've not released anyone who's turned out to be of any use, yes we're bringing in a few more that aren't much better, but I'd much rather try players than stick with the same ones that aren't good enough.
cultured

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:07 pm

[quote="thegentlegiant"]Jon Newby was a good player 4 us but we require a better striker someone who will demand the ball up front...Lets get a player from championship or prem.!!![/quote]

Are you on the right bus??? :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby The Fury » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:12 pm

cultured wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Yes????????

No.

Last season - 11 appearances(21 as sub) 6 goals - 3 againsta Rotherham side that hadn't been paid in months and had tossed it off, 3 goals the other 30 - one against Darlo (OK did well) Wrexham (relegated) Grimsby (after season was over)

This season - 6 starts 8 as sub between Morton and Burton - 1 goal.

Hardly the prolific striker we need. Surely we can borrow someone who might turn out to be not good enough, rather than hire someone we know isn't good enough.

I'm sure Jim McLuskeys free also, tell him to bring his boots?

Again I'll say this. Trust Sammy. We've not released anyone who's turned out to be of any use, yes we're bringing in a few more that aren't much better, but I'd much rather try players than stick with the same ones that aren't good enough.

Your stats suit your own agenda. You neglect to include goals in all competitions which, the last time I checked, were still classed as competitive games. In that case, he scored 10 goals in a total of 16 starts.
The Fury

Postby cultured » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Yes, I didn't include the Johnstone Paints Trophy. Whilst competitive games, it is rare that these are the same intensity as a proper league tie, and often against weakened sides. You can have the wolves goal.

Shouting that he is our top scorer last season with ten (the majority against poor or weakened sides) is like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

Neil Mellor would score a few, does he get a game at Preston? Is that where he still is? As I say, get someone in who may or may not be good enough, not someone we know isn't good enough.
cultured

Postby Moose » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 pm

11 Goals last season for Mr. Newbs.
Moose

Postby campdave » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:38 pm

The Fury wrote:
Your stats suit your own agenda. You neglect to include goals in all competitions which, the last time I checked, were still classed as competitive games. In that case, he scored 10 goals in a total of 16 starts.

But that means your stats are also flawed - he definitely scored aganist Wrexham as a sub, so how many of his 10 goals came in his 16 starts?
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:55 pm

cultured wrote:Yes, I didn't include the Johnstone Paints Trophy. Whilst competitive games, it is rare that these are the same intensity as a proper league tie, and often against weakened sides. You can have the wolves goal.

Shouting that he is our top scorer last season with ten (the majority against poor or weakened sides) is like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

Neil Mellor would score a few, does he get a game at Preston? Is that where he still is? As I say, get someone in who may or may not be good enough, not someone we know isn't good enough.

Purely a personal opinion, but JN is as good if not better then any of our present options for this coming Saturday's game.
Christies Child

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:57 pm

I fully agree and said it at the time, Newby should have stayed

There's a few others i'd of offloaded before him or never bought in the first place!
HALMA 1983

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:37 pm

we need another Amr Zaki :roll:
heysham_mfc

Postby BHmfc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:24 pm

I would have Newby back today, never mind tomorrow. If i was a betting man (which i'm not) i would wager a bet that nobody in our current squad will hit double figures in all competitions this season, so like him or not, Mr Newby, with so few starts last season, must have been doing something right.
BHmfc

Postby cultured » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:25 am

Christies Child wrote:
cultured wrote:Yes, I didn't include the Johnstone Paints Trophy. Whilst competitive games, it is rare that these are the same intensity as a proper league tie, and often against weakened sides. You can have the wolves goal.

Purely a personal opinion, but JN is as good if not better then any of our present options for this coming Saturday's game.

You don't seem to getting my point. That's a bit like saying that because I'm better than you I should play for Morecambe when neither of us are good enough.

None of the options other than Howe and Taylor in 3 years times we currently have are good enough. Jon Newby may or may not be better than the other options we have, but he isn't good enough either. So why sign someone who isn't good enough, because he's a bit better than what we've got?
cultured

Postby Abbo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:46 pm

Cultured wrote,
Jon Newby may or may not be better than the other options we have, but he isn't good enough either. So why sign someone who isn't good enough, because he's a bit better than what we've got ?
I think you aswered your own question there, anything is better than what we have this season, and as i have said in previous posts Newbs did a good job last season a i do believe he would have carried on this season playing alongside Howe.
Abbo

Next

Return to General Discussion