Just not our luck

Re: Just not our luck

Postby slackAlice » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Wigan Shrimp wrote:Strange how we all see the game differently....

At the final whistle last night, although disappointed with the result, I thought we`d played pretty well and certainly deserved all 3 points. Having also witnessed the spirited display at Vale Park, I was feeling fairly positive about the future.

However, despite being a regular for many many years, last night was the 1st game my dad has managed to get to this season....

Discussing the game afterwards, my dad (who sat in the main stand, whilst I was in the North Stand) couldn`t believe how poor the standard of our football was compared to last season, or even seasons before that when we were in the conference. He thought we were terrible.... slow, lacking creativity, no urgency, unable to string passes together, etc...! My dad is usually pretty reasonable in his assessment, so I can only assume that I have become so accostumed to the below par performances that we have generally been served up this season, that my expectations have been significantly lowered. Perhaps lower expectations are a good thing?

It's an interesting point you make Wigan Shrimp. I was at the Port Vale match and felt we deserved at the very least a point - the team effort was first class -and I was really looking forward to last nights match and 3 points to kick-start the season proper. The only caution would be a fully switched on Accy Stan team.

The dissappointment for me was we didn't really work them hard enough - they were poor and I don't think we were much better - YES we it the bar [3 times] and had the greater possession; but that counts for nowt , its another 2 points dropped at home. But getting back to your point about differing opinions , having spoken to half a dozen fellow fans you get a wide range of assessments. I would find myself agreeing with most of what your Dad says , apart from we were terrible, but lacking creativity & no urgency YES. The games are rolling on and we'll get POSTS about the Aldershot match very soon and THIS is a MUST WIN game and get behind the lads etc.

Which is all good stuff, but we are already hoping teams around us are losing & dropping points. Rotherham will overtake us pretty quickly ; Chester had a good win last night - Grimsby seem to be worse than us at the moment - Bournemouth have erratic form but they'll fancy their chances of catching us up [won 3 , drawn 4 and a game in hand now]. I was at Grimsby & Dagenham as well Heysham Shrimp but relative assessments with previous matches ain't going to help neither. You often hear posts saying 'there's no easy games in this League...' possibly not but some are easier than others and I think last nights was one of them .. the other one is 'we've had a tough start ....' we have now played 14 games and have 10 points from a possible 42.

I wouldn't necessarily advocate any changes in the formation or players or God forbid management - I think its time to really dig deep and get at teams from the off ...like the chant ..Attack ..Attack ...Attack , Attack, Attack. Too often we get in good positions and waste ball or more infuriating start going backwards -sometimes from one of our corners it ends up back with Barry Roche.
slackAlice

Postby badger » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:54 pm

I think it would be a good idea to have war dance in front of the opposition,like the all blacks do in rugby union.

we could stick big jim and curts at the front, pulling faces and sticking there tongues out ,that aloane will frighten the opposition.
badger

Postby Posh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 pm

Last night was the first time for me we've looked like a football team this season. The formation works really well and allows us to mix it up a bit. If we play like we did last night then we'll start to pick up the odd result and gain a bit of confidence.

There is a lot missing though. As Sammy has admitted that after losing Thommo and Baker we've lost our cutting edge. Obvious statement but perhaps he should have looked harder in the summer instead of wasting money on players who aren't up to the grade.

Strengths for me were Drummy who is getting better with each game including some good work in the box, excellent harrassing of their midfield and kept possession well; Stanners, superb workrate, spread the play well and linked up nicely; Yates and McGivern good supply, both provided options and could track back; Jimbo and Henry, looked the part together and both did some great covering tackles; Fraser, played well in parts and good to see him back; and Barry R for not having anything to do.

On the weak side we could have lost the game when Danny Adams lost the ball twice in the second half and is making too many mistakes; Aaron Taylor isn't up to pace yet, which is surely no surprise but is an immense talent; Rene Howe (sorry Shrimper) just doesn't do it for me - even Wayne can turn his man but Rene always looks to trap, pass and then never go (over-rated, particularly by himself if you've seen his Facebook page).

Need to keep harrying the opposition into mistakes and give them no time on the ball; cut out some of the silly passes when a simple ball to feet would work better.

Twissy and/or Wayne up front for a game? Michael Howard to add pace into the back three (5)?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:35 pm

I must say it's really good to hear that we're starting to 'play' at last. Just what can happen when you get some pace on either wing, even if it is through wingbacks. Also helps when the player on the left side actually has a left foot as it were. Sounds like we need to keep hold of McGivern for more than the one month (at least until Howard is fit again in the new year). Still all this means nothing until we get that win. We don't want to go on a 'good run' again, keep drawing then get tonked a la Gillingham. 3 points on Saturday is a must and hopefully, barring mistakes at the back, we might just get them this time.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:58 pm

I thought we played as well as I've seen all season last night, accepting of course that I've been to every home game but only 1 away game to date.

But how badly we need proven striker to partner Howe who for me worked tirelessly with very little reward last night. In fact he was my MOM!

I just wish that our midfield would lend more support to the strikers in the box. Too often it was our 2 strikers against 5 defenders.

Accy looked good in midfield knocking the ball about but once again that could have been due to the amount of space we gave them in that area. Having said that, for all their midfeld possession they really created sod all and their goal was another gift.

What suprised me was that with 15 minutes to go and the game coasting to a stalemate, neither manager seemed prepared to gamble by throwing on an additional striker. For me, we should have taken off Adams and put O'Carroll on as the third striker. It's times like this when I find we are too cautious.

Overall a creditable perfomance which would have been 3 valuable points if WC goal had stood, which from my vantage point in the stand was a certain goal. Even the Accrington radio lads sat behind me had to admit that it was.

Oh for a proven striker........maybe another loanee by Saturday??????
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:17 pm

I just wish that our midfield would lend more support to the strikers in the box. Too often it was our 2 strikers against 5 defenders.

What suprised me was that with 15 minutes to go and the game coasting to a stalemate, neither manager seemed prepared to gamble by throwing on an additional striker. For me, we should have taken off Adams and put O'Carroll on as the third striker. It's times like this when I find we are too cautious.

Last night was the first game I have actually enjoyed all season I agree about our midfield CC we never look like creating anything from midfield so thank goodness for Yates & McGiven. When we play 4-4-2 it means the midfield have to create and they don't so we just end up playing dull football and normally hoofing it to byepass the midfield.

I would have gone for the win as well 1 point is 1 point but we are desperate for 3 so I would have taken the gamble.
Gordon strachen used to always throw caution to the wind if his team was drawing as one win and one loss is better than 2 draws.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Christies Child » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:22 pm

What's the odds that a certain individual will find our thoughts a load of bull?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:48 pm

cultured wrote:The only fee we've paid for in years is for Stuart Drummond.

And a club record one for Carl Baker!
campdave

Postby Number 1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Rene Howe's work rate is superb in my opinion. Still can't score more than 1 though and still can't keep a clean sheet. If we could just introduce a bit of guile, we should be ok. Just hope the odd few points here and there is enough, but as it stands, we're not picking up enough to be safe when it's going to matter.
Number 1

Postby OvertheBar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Last night was our most entertaining home performance of the season, and the Port Vale game was our best away performance of the season.

Logically that means Saturday will be our best home win of the season.
OvertheBar

Postby Posh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I agree about our midfield CC we never look like creating anything from midfield.

I seem to recall Drummy having a header a few yards out and two shots held by their keeper. I agree it needs to be more though.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Sammy h » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Posh wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:I agree about our midfield CC we never look like creating anything from midfield.

I seem to recall Drummy having a header a few yards out and two shots held by their keeper. I agree it needs to be more though.

Think we could do with them getting into the box more.

There were too many occasions when both strikers drifted out too far wide and it left no one in the box.
Sammy h

Postby Mr Munnings » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:07 pm

Interesting Quote

"There is a lot missing though. As Sammy has admitted that after losing Thommo and Baker we've lost our cutting edge. Obvious statement but perhaps he should have looked harder in the summer instead of wasting money on players who aren't up to the grade"

How much money was that?

£225,000.............

Get real, the manager has had to make do with his signings cheap as they come.

Ask him about the three players he wanted here but the club wouldnt pay for and they would have had some change too
Mr Munnings

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:26 pm

I thought last night and on Saturday at Port Vale was the best we have played this season
heysham_mfc

Postby slackAlice » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:59 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:I thought last night and on Saturday at Port Vale was the best we have played this season

I agree with the Port Vale , but not last night , we played better @ Wycombe than we did last night and arguably Oldham was better than last night[ especially 2nd half] ; but I missed Lincoln , Bury and Gillingham , Brentford and Rotherham [home]. I don't know perhaps last night was one of the better home performances , after Shrewsbury ????

I thought that particularly 2 half last night after equalising on 50 minutes we should have gone on to win - Accy were pretty clueless and we should of finished them off. Instead we passed it around and went forwards and backwards and did little to press home our advantage.
slackAlice

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:32 am

Christies Child wrote:What suprised me was that with 15 minutes to go and the game coasting to a stalemate, neither manager seemed prepared to gamble by throwing on an additional striker. For me, we should have taken off Adams and put O'Carroll on as the third striker. It's times like this when I find we are too cautious.

Agree with most of your post CC but as to the above if we had'nt gone for it at Port Vale in the dying minutes we would'nt have got caught out in the oppositions penalty area, lost the ball and let them run up the pitch to score at the other end :(
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby cultured » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:05 pm

Mr Munnings wrote:Interesting Quote

"There is a lot missing though. As Sammy has admitted that after losing Thommo and Baker we've lost our cutting edge. Obvious statement but perhaps he should have looked harder in the summer instead of wasting money on players who aren't up to the grade"

How much money was that?

£225,000.............

Get real, the manager has had to make do with his signings cheap as they come.

Ask him about the three players he wanted here but the club wouldnt pay for and they would have had some change too

But what would have plugged the deficit that we run at every year and then the new ground when we get round to building it too?

I do like to hear how tight we are as a football club when we are paying decent full time wages on gates of 2000 or so. Fantastic.
cultured

Postby cultured » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:06 pm

campdave wrote:
cultured wrote:The only fee we've paid for in years is for Stuart Drummond.

And a club record one for Carl Baker!

Sorry, are we now saying Carl Baker was rubbish? Went missing away from home maybe, but rubbish?
cultured

Previous

Return to General Discussion