Port Vale 2 Morecambe 1

Re: Port Vale 2 Morecambe 1

Postby Mark S » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Are there any pictures from todays game ??

Plenty, thanks for asking.

Thats a bit of a mean response to an honest question Brian.
Mark S

Postby Phoenix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:06 pm

I was polite the first time the same user asked the same question a few weeks ago.
Phoenix

Postby Smirnoff Please » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:39 am

Keith wrote:I've said this in the past after similar situations, that is a load of bollocks Brian and if that happened as described, it is wrong. If 100% of the people in an area were abusing someone on the pitch, then fine, it's open season, but I'd be amazed if it ever is that case. Even if 90% are abusing someone, the other 10% should not be subject to abuse back from the professional. That's why the complaint should be made to the stewards, they should be doing their job, and if they aren't, the club should be reported to the FA. If I'd been in a section where a group of people were abusing a manager and the manager then sprayed me with Lucazade, I would be furious and damn right, I'd complain.

If I'd been doing the abusing, so be it. But as I wouldn't have been, it would be wrong. As I say, if 100% of the people 'abused back' were guilty, they shouldn't moan. As I recall, the last time this came up foul and abusive language was shouted by a player 'back at the crowd', but in that section were children who heard it directed at them, who weren't involved and that is what made it wrong.

I don't often take issue with what people post on here but I am fuming at the rubbish above.
How you can comment from your armchair in the Isle of Man is astonishing. Throughout the game a minority of home fans were goading Sammy from behind the dugouts. When Port Vale scored the same minority were gesticulating and shouting abuse at Sammy and the rest of the Morecambe bench. When we went up the other end and equalized Sammy celebrated, as he always does, he turned to the fans and put his hands to his ears to say cant hear you now. They didn't like this and a few went to the front and pointed fingers and berated him. After scoring the winner at least 15 rushed to the dugout and were banging on the clear plastic. There were at least 4 stewards stood there who did absolutely nothing. They were like a baying mob, these wern't kids but very worked up adult males who didn't want to shake sammys hand. I didn't see the alledged liquid being sprayed so can't comment, something you might want to consider in future Keith.
Why drink singles when you can order a double.......
Smirnoff Please

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:14 am

Smirnoff Please wrote:
Keith wrote:...if that happened as described, it is wrong. If 100% of the people in an area were abusing someone on the pitch, then fine, it's open season, but I'd be amazed if it ever is that case...

I don't often take issue with what people post on here but I am fuming at the rubbish above.
How you can comment from your armchair in the Isle of Man is astonishing. Throughout the game a minority of home fans were goading Sammy from behind the dugouts. When Port Vale scored the same minority were gesticulating and shouting abuse at Sammy and the rest of the Morecambe bench. When we went up the other end and equalized Sammy celebrated, as he always does, he turned to the fans and put his hands to his ears to say cant hear you now. They didn't like this and a few went to the front and pointed fingers and berated him. After scoring the winner at least 15 rushed to the dugout and were banging on the clear plastic. There were at least 4 stewards stood there who did absolutely nothing. They were like a baying mob, these wern't kids but very worked up adult males who didn't want to shake sammys hand. I didn't see the alledged liquid being sprayed so can't comment, something you might want to consider in future Keith.

I've narrowed my original post down to the key bit.

It's quite a simple concept if you follow it through logically...

For example, 20 people stood together and 15 are abusing a player, manager. The remaining 5 are watching the game, minding their own business.

The player or manager responds by abusing the 20. He has responded to 15 who deserve it and 5 who don't.

Those five people have now been abused by the player of manager and that is just as wrong as the original fifteen. We now have 16 people 'in the wrong', but one of those is a professional. You yourself said this was a "minority" of fans. That reinforces my point that by responding some of the majority are caught up.

Smirnoff Please wrote:There were at least 4 stewards stood there who did absolutely nothing.

And that is the problem.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:17 am

And that is the problem.

Part of the problem. The 5 are probably the ones that might complain about the player or manager but they'll do f'all about the 15. If they complained earlier about the 15, the player or manager would have nothing to reply to.
Phoenix

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:41 am

The five aren't there to be stewards, they are there to watch football.
The five aren't there to be abused by a professional, they are there to watch football.

You are walking with your kids and some yobbos start throwing stones at the police. The police return with a baton charge and smack you and your kids. You have no reason to complain because you should have been helping the police in the first place, rather than just going about your business?

Obviously an extreme analogy, although how often has it happened in riot situations where terrified innocent people have been hit by police? If other people are caught up in this then it is wrong and YES I do think that the professionals have to raise above responding.

And stewards have to do their job, not the rest of the crowd doing it for them. As I said elsewhere, if someone was spouting racist abuse, I'd report them. If I saw someone throwing a coin at the linesman, I'd identify them. People f'in & blindin' at a player, manager or linesman, I won't condone it but I won't stand up to them either... THAT'S THE STEWARDS JOB.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Even if 90% are abusing someone, the other 10% should not be subject to abuse back from the professional.

You credit the 10% with the ability to realise the abuse from the fans isn't aimed at them, surely they have the same intellect to realise the abuse from the manager isn't aimed at them either?
Phoenix

Postby Smirnoff Please » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Keith wrote:
Smirnoff Please wrote:
Keith wrote:...if that happened as described, it is wrong. If 100% of the people in an area were abusing someone on the pitch, then fine, it's open season, but I'd be amazed if it ever is that case...

I've narrowed my original post down to the key bit.

It's quite a simple concept if you follow it through logically...

For example, 20 people stood together and 15 are abusing a player, manager. The remaining 5 are watching the game, minding their own business.

The player or manager responds by abusing the 20. He has responded to 15 who deserve it and 5 who don't.

Those five people have now been abused by the player of manager and that is just as wrong as the original fifteen. We now have 16 people 'in the wrong', but one of those is a professional. You yourself said this was a "minority" of fans. That reinforces my point that by responding some of the majority are caught up.

Smirnoff Please wrote:There were at least 4 stewards stood there who did absolutely nothing.

And that is the problem.

Thats absolute rubbish Keith, where did I say or you hear that Sammy was abusing anybody. I am able to comment because I was there, that is my point. All you are doing is generalising and IMO trying to stir up something that isn't there. :!: :!:
Why drink singles when you can order a double.......
Smirnoff Please

Postby campdave » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Getting back to matters on the pitch, it was a great team performance, but we must keep working to reduce individual errors.

I thought the formation worked really well, and could benefit from a fit Blinkhorn in for Taylor, who although he has done well is still rough round the edges and touch and decision making isn't always the best. Hunter in midfield for either Drummond or Stanley, as McLachlan I felt harrassed their midfield all afternoon, cutting down the time they had on the ball, which is something we'e not done well all season.

Stanley was as bad as he was good yesterday - some great passes, but a lot of wasted possession when he's trying to be a flash harry. Personally, I think his set pieces - there appears to be no precision, just whacks it into the general area. I thought Ryan McCann was very good when he came on, not sure if it was tactical or thorugh an injury to Drummond.
campdave

Postby Valefan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:29 pm

MRH wrote:Not really sure how we came away with nothing today. I think a draw would have been a fair result. Port Vale rarely threatened then suddenly found themselves one up. When Bentley equalised within a minute it looked like we were safe for at least a point.

Was very impressed with McGivern; he looks a class player and settled very quickly.

Many will see today's performance as an indication that all will be well, but there has to be a concern that, no matter what Sammy tries, we can't get a win.

We are hovering desperately close to the drop zone and it's getting increasingly difficult to see where that win will come from. Some say we'll be ok, but there has to be a cautionary warning that it just might not be.

We need to win and we need to win soon.

We rarely threatened? Im sorry but were you at the game? We hit the inside of the post, had one tipped onto the bar and missed a one on one that should have been buried without doubt.

Had we been 2-0 up at half time I don't think you could have said it was unfair.

Saying that, Come the end of the game, I think a draw would have been fair (because we didn't score in the first half) as the second half was pretty even.

I was very impressed with the guy who scored for you, he had Rodgers in his back pocket all day until the 80th minute where he made the mistake and Luke scored. It was very, very dissapointing to concede straight away and especially to a free header 8 yards out.

Our winner was brilliant, And as soon as Davidson skipped past the two challenges I knew we would score from it, I have seen the replay on TV (at the time It didn't cross my mind that it was offside) And from the television replay I do believe that Rodgers was onside, as his run was accross the line, and the benefit goes with the forward anyway so im not sure how you were robbed at all. Brilliant cross and Rico was there for the finish.

Now, this argument about Sammy McIllroy abusing our fans is absolutly ridiculous frankly.

Keith has it spot on, Sam is a professional and it is there in the job description that you should expect to be goaded by supporters, and it happens at every single game week in week out.

There is no excuse for a manager, player or coaching staff to throw liquid over supporters, or deliberatly goad them back, even if they supporters may have deserved it.

I wasn't impressed at all by McIlroy, He was arguing every decision and at one point he physically moved our player back to where the ball went out of play.

If he did throw his drink over supporters, he deserves everything he gets, and i hope the powers that be throw the book at him, However, I didn't actually see the incident so can't comment fully. I do find it unfair that the supporters are presumed guilty and the manager is provoked.

This Smirnoff guy, Were you sat in the dugout, or a box? You seemed to have a brilliant view of the supporters in the wrong, but coincidently didn't see the manager's tort?
Valefan

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 pm

campdave wrote:Getting back to matters on the pitch, it was a great team performance, but we must keep working to reduce individual errors.

I thought the formation worked really well, and could benefit from a fit Blinkhorn in for Taylor, who although he has done well is still rough round the edges and touch and decision making isn't always the best. Hunter in midfield for either Drummond or Stanley, as McLachlan I felt harrassed their midfield all afternoon, cutting down the time they had on the ball, which is something we'e not done well all season.

Stanley was as bad as he was good yesterday - some great passes, but a lot of wasted possession when he's trying to be a flash harry. Personally, I think his set pieces - there appears to be no precision, just whacks it into the general area. I thought Ryan McCann was very good when he came on, not sure if it was tactical or thorugh an injury to Drummond.

Stanners was excellent yesterday. along with Jimbo a candidate for MOTM.
His dead ball kicks have been responsible for at least 3 goals I can think of since he returned to the first team.
No way should he be left out and is forming a decent partnership with Drummy.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Valefan wrote:I was very impressed with the guy who scored for you, he had Rodgers in his back pocket all day until the 80th minute where he made the mistake and Luke scored.

Jim Bentley was the goalscorer, but even tho the commentator on The Championship said it was him making the error with the header, it was actually Henry McStay. Even when Jim scored the goal the commentator said "he has made up for his earlier backheader error" :x
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:13 pm

We rarely threatened? Im sorry but were you at the game? We hit the inside of the post, had one tipped onto the bar and missed a one on one that should have been buried without doubt.

Yes I was at the game but had taken advantage of the local hospitality earlier so maybe my memory is a little impaired :lol:

I remember the second half being more even and the game had a goalless draw all over it during that half. Maybe I should have waited a day before posting :lol:
Martin

Postby Jody » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Thats funny - I'm sure it was a dead ball from Stanley that went straight to Jimbo for our equaliser. He was excellent yesterday.
Jody

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:28 pm

Jody wrote:Thats funny - I'm sure it was a dead ball from Stanley that went straight to Jimbo for our equaliser. He was excellent yesterday.

Yes was a corner kick.... Nice slippers B.T.W. Jody :oops:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Jody » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:35 pm

Haha thanks! Saved me sitting on a minibus all the way home with wet feet :D
Jody

Postby Valefan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:00 pm

MRH wrote:

Yes I was at the game but had taken advantage of the local hospitality earlier so maybe my memory is a little impaired :lol:

I remember the second half being more even and the game had a goalless draw all over it during that half. Maybe I should have waited a day before posting :lol:

Right :lol: I apologise for my rather militant response, And I know we rode our luck a bit, Our keeper made a dreadful error on tuesday and with 5 defeats in 6 home games I suppose it was only a matter of time before he put in a good display and we got the run of the green.

Chins up Morecombe, You have a solid enough team and I don't think you should be talking about relegation (Especially with Luton on -14 and Chester being in this division :lol: )

Only a matter of time until you get the luck and pick up the 3 points.

Good luck

PS - Sorry it was the championship I got that off, So he did actually have a very good game then.
Valefan

Previous

Return to General Discussion