Port Vale 2 Morecambe 1

Re: Port Vale 2 Morecambe 1

Postby valiant » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:14 pm

Sorry to say but the better side won today. Wasn`t the greatest game in the world and there was plenty of possession in the midfield for us but we created nothing in the final third for 80 minutes. Then Luke Rodgers scored after what was a bit of sloppy defending from you, but credit to you for going straight up the other end and equalising.
Then we had 6 minutes of injury time, The only incident that happened in the second half was the linesman pulled up with an injury and had to be replaced, that is where they apparently had the 6 minutes from.
I was sitting right in line with Rodgers when he raced through to set up the winner. Hand on heart, there was nothing in it and the linesman, who had only been on the pitch for 10 minutes seemed to be slightly behind play. There was no daylight between the players though so it could have gone either way. Luke did well though to roll the ball across the area where Richards just had to tap into an open net from 6 yards.
You could have then equalised yet again had it not been for some superb saves from our keeper, Joe Anyon right at the end. Firstly he pulled of a cracking save from a one on one and then from the resulting corner which your bloke had a free header again, he tipped over from 5 yards. Was a bit of a scrappy game which in all honesty, any side could have won on another day.
Good luck with for the rest of the season, there is a very fine line between success and failure, you are now looking over your shoulders at the bottom sides and the relegation zone whereas we are now only 6 points from the play offs. I am sure you will be fine though with the points deductions. Look forward to seeing you at your place for the return :)
valiant

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:21 pm

No doubt the TV will confirm one way or t'other.....but at the end of the day the record books will show 'we lost'.

Just hope that the old addage about 'swings and roundabouts' applies........sooner rather than later!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby valiant » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:27 pm

Christies Child wrote:No doubt the TV will confirm one way or t'other.....but at the end of the day the record books will show 'we lost'.

Just hope that the old addage about 'swings and roundabouts' applies........sooner rather than later!

I`m sure you will be fine mate, you defence looked very solid for 80 minutes and particularly your left back (Blonde hair, dont know his name sorry) had a very good game and looked dangerous going forward. I thought that you lacked someone in the middle with a bit of creativity and a decent target man up front. Apart from that, you looked a half decent side and made it hard for us to break you down.
valiant

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:32 pm

valiant wrote:
Christies Child wrote:No doubt the TV will confirm one way or t'other.....but at the end of the day the record books will show 'we lost'.

I`m sure you will be fine mate, you defence looked very solid for 80 minutes and particularly your left back (Blonde hair, dont know his name sorry) had a very good game and looked dangerous going forward. I thought that you lacked someone in the middle with a bit of creativity and a decent target man up front. Apart from that, you looked a half decent side and made it hard for us to break you down.

You don't have to tell us something we don't already know matey!

But we continue to have faith and will do so, until and if it ever gets that we are down and out.

Hard times and second season syndrome kicking in ..big style!
Last edited by Christies Child on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christies Child

Postby valiant » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:35 pm

Just to add, a lot of our fans were very unhappy with your manager today and thought he should have been sent to the stands.
After you equalised he was goading them in front of the stand and then when we scored the winner he apparently squirted lucozade on them. I didnt see any of this as i was sitting at the other side of the ground but a few complaints have been made to stewards.
valiant

Postby marky » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:48 pm

CC, can I have some of what you're on? Your posts today completely contradict those you made after Tuesday's defeat. Make your mind up man! :P Personally I still don't think we'll go down but ONLY due to deductions for other sides.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:54 pm

marky wrote:CC, can I have some of what you're on? Your posts today completely contradict those you made after Tuesday's defeat. Make your mind up man! :P Personally I still don't think we'll go down but ONLY due to deductions for other sides.

Having listened to the entire game on World I just have to be positive.

At least I'm not calling for heads to roll unlike Paul and his Crew!
Christies Child

Postby valiant » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Just been speaking to me mate who was sitting at the opposite side of the ground today and he has just told me Rodgers looked definitely offside :oops:
Like someone said earlier though, swings and roundabouts, we`ve had no luck with some decisions this season :roll:
valiant

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:24 pm

valiant wrote:...we`ve had no luck with some decisions this season :roll:

Oh, we've had plenty of luck this season... but it's all been appalling luck!

But that doesn't disguise the fact that we can't beat other teams who are struggling or that we wouldn't have won even if the off side had been given, or that we have won only won 5 of the last 39 competitive matches. Mark Lillis was bemoaning the fact that we were robbed by the linesman today, but it would still have only been one point, we still wouldn't have won. Rennie Howe is our top scorer... with three goals. We've kept one clean sheet and have scored more than once... only once.

If we go down this season (and we're far from safe, despite the huge head start) it won't be down to poor linesmen decisions gifting goals, it will be down to our forwards missing great chances and our defence gifting far too many.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:50 pm

Just to add, a lot of our fans were very unhappy with your manager today and thought he should have been sent to the stands.
After you equalised he was goading them in front of the stand and then when we scored the winner he apparently squirted lucozade on them. I didnt see any of this as i was sitting at the other side of the ground but a few complaints have been made to stewards.

I like Sammy because when someone gives him a mouthful he has the bottle to give them a mouthful back. What you won't find is Sammy running to the stewards to complain about the abuse he's been given, unlike the supporters. I bet what they told the stewards was all one-sided and of course completely un-provoked because they'd just been sat there with their gobs shut all afternoon :evil:

Your supporters started goading him long before half time. What they got when we equalized was probably more than deserved.
Phoenix

Postby valiant » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:15 pm

How do you know they started goading him well before half time, were you sat there listening to it?
I was at the other side of the ground so didnt know nothing about.
The supporters did get what they deserved when you equalised but so did your manager when we scored the winner after that.
What is the world coming to though if we cant have a bit of harmless banter at a football match. :D
valiant

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:24 pm

I've said this in the past after similar situations, that is a load of bollocks Brian and if that happened as described, it is wrong. If 100% of the people in an area were abusing someone on the pitch, then fine, it's open season, but I'd be amazed if it ever is that case. Even if 90% are abusing someone, the other 10% should not be subject to abuse back from the professional. That's why the complaint should be made to the stewards, they should be doing their job, and if they aren't, the club should be reported to the FA. If I'd been in a section where a group of people were abusing a manager and the manager then sprayed me with Lucazade, I would be furious and damn right, I'd complain.

If I'd been doing the abusing, so be it. But as I wouldn't have been, it would be wrong. As I say, if 100% of the people 'abused back' were guilty, they shouldn't moan. As I recall, the last time this came up foul and abusive language was shouted by a player 'back at the crowd', but in that section were children who heard it directed at them, who weren't involved and that is what made it wrong.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:25 pm

I thought we played very well this afternoon despite suffering horrible bad luck. The best I've seen us play all season, with a great bouncebackability factor against a team we could have won against today, and we come up against some absolutely worldie saves.

I hope we can take the mentality from the last 20 minutes or so from today into Tuesday's match against Accrington. I would love it, just love it if we beat them!
Harry

Postby Phoenix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:33 pm

I've said this in the past after similar situations, that is a load of bollocks Brian and if that happened as described, it is wrong. If 100% of the people in an area were abusing someone on the pitch, then fine, it's open season, but I'd be amazed if it ever is that case. Even if 90% are abusing someone, the other 10% should not be subject to abuse back from the professional. That's why the complaint should be made to the stewards, they should be doing their job, and if they aren't, the club should be reported to the FA. If I'd been in a section where a group of people were abusing a manager and the manager then sprayed me with Lucazade, I would be furious and damn right, I'd complain.

So you're saying he has to sit there quietly and maybe complain to a steward himself? Sitting in a group of supporters mouthing off at someone knowing they can't answer back is cowardly. Like I say, let them report him to the stewards but I would also like to see them being honest and tell the stewards what they shouted or what else they heard from their own supporters. Did they complain about that as well? Yeah, sure they did.

If I'd been in a section where a group of people were abusing a manager and the manager then sprayed me with Lucazade, I would be furious and damn right, I'd complain.

The real question is would you have reported your own supporters to a steward for the abuse they were giving the manager? Maybe had something done about it so the manager would never think of spraying them with lucozade? Nipping it in the bud is far better than getting soaked.
Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:39 pm

How do you know they started goading him well before half time, were you sat there listening to it?

Watched the animated actions from the bare concrete.
Phoenix

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Phoenix wrote:So you're saying he has to sit there quietly and maybe complain to a steward himself?

Yes, that's exactly what I expect from a professional.

Phoenix wrote:Sitting in a group of supporters mouthing off at someone knowing they can't answer back is cowardly.

Agreed, no argument there.

Phoenix wrote:Like I say, let them report him to the stewards but I would also like to see them being honest and tell the stewards what they shouted or what else they heard from their own supporters. Did they complain about that as well? Yeah, sure they did.

If the stewards are doing their job, there shouldn't be a need to report them, the stewards will also have heard & seen it. It is then their job to either interject, protect & manage, or choose to take action afterwards, for example banning ring leaders.

The real question is would you have reported your own supporters to a steward for the abuse they were giving the manager? Maybe had something done about it so the manager would never think of spraying them with lucozade? Nipping it in the bud is far better than getting soaked.

To be honest, it would depend upon what the abuse was. Likelihood is, I wouldn't, especially if it was foul & abusive language. However, someone throwing coins or racially abusing a player, probably yes, although I may want to wait until after the game. The point is, I don't expect abuse back at me from a professional, be that a player or a manager.

What next? Referees or linesmen shouting abuse back at the crowd? :roll:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:53 pm

I hear the abuse liners get and to be honest, if that came from the manager to the ref or 4th official they'd be straight off. So much for the Enjoy The Game campaign, it's put on hold for 90 minutes every saturday. Usually the liners just smile back and sometimes they'll politely explain why they made the dis-liked decision :lol:
Phoenix

Postby PottedShrimp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:57 pm

valiant wrote:Just been speaking to me mate who was sitting at the opposite side of the ground today and he has just told me Rodgers looked definitely offside :oops:
Like someone said earlier though, swings and roundabouts, we`ve had no luck with some decisions this season :roll:

Also have a friend who was in the Vale end - he thinks it **was** offside. But as you say what goes round comes round. Can't agree about the best team though. We were worth at least a draw
Squillae parvae sed fortes
PottedShrimp

Postby outsider » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Gutted, still can not work out how we came back with nothing. Well done Rene at the end for the clapping and to big Jim for the goal, at the end he just slumped to the ground and was gutted the same as the rest of us. NOBODY and i mean NOBODY had better say defeat does not hurt the players.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby mfc:) » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:09 pm

So guted i was there so anoyed how we lost that bring on the stanley tuesday night come on lets get all behind the team the whole north stand tuesday come on morecambe!!!
mfc:)

Postby scalehallshrimp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:31 pm

we played really well today,the whole team looke balanced and focussed from the off.How we did not get something from the game is beyond me
tuesday looking a massive game against a team with whom we do not have a very good record
scalehall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:46 pm

mfc:) wrote:So guted i was there so anoyed how we lost that bring on the stanley tuesday night come on lets get all behind the team the whole north stand tuesday come on morecambe!!!

Well it'd certainly be a good starting point but expect a battle especially for the poor sod who has the job of marking Mullin out of the game :(
HALMA 1983

Postby i-love-mfc » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Are there any pictures from todays game ??
i-love-mfc

Postby Phoenix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:53 pm

Are there any pictures from todays game ??

Plenty, thanks for asking.
Phoenix

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:50 pm

Not really sure how we came away with nothing today. I think a draw would have been a fair result. Port Vale rarely threatened then suddenly found themselves one up. When Bentley equalised within a minute it looked like we were safe for at least a point.

Was very impressed with McGivern; he looks a class player and settled very quickly.

Many will see today's performance as an indication that all will be well, but there has to be a concern that, no matter what Sammy tries, we can't get a win.

We are hovering desperately close to the drop zone and it's getting increasingly difficult to see where that win will come from. Some say we'll be ok, but there has to be a cautionary warning that it just might not be.

We need to win and we need to win soon.
Martin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion