What the hell does Sammy and the lads have to do...

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:41 pm

...to get a win?
:( :( :(

According to Ockers and Matt on World their goal was offside and then their goalkeeper saves 2 certain equalising goals.

:x :x :x

The lads must be absolutely sick.

When you are down at the bottom everything goes against you.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

We'll be there on Tuesday giving 110% support to the lads.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: What the hell does Sammy and the lads have to do...

Postby marky » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:45 pm

You make your own luck. According to Matt Donlon's report, Howe missed a guilt edged chance...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Welshrimp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:56 pm

Howe missed a guilt edged chance...

... or did he feel guilt because he missed a gilt edged chance?

I know, I know, spelling police, blah blah. Precious little else to keep us cheerful. Relegation form and all that. At least we're better than the economy.
I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Postby valiant » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Christies Child wrote:then their goalkeeper saves 2 certain equalising goals.

Isn`t that a goalkeepers job?
What do you expect him to do, let them in! :roll:
valiant

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Christies Child wrote:
...to get a win?

According to Ockers and Matt on World their goal was offside

So if it had been ruled off-side, we'd still not have won?

and then their goalkeeper saves 2 certain equalising goals.

So when we're chasing the game (again), had either gone in, we'd still not have won?

In answer to your question, when we're playing other crap teams, perhaps what we have to do to win, is 'chase the game' from the start rather than after we've gone behind?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:13 pm

valiant wrote:What do you expect him to do, let them in! :roll:

To be fair, he's let them in against everyone else, including palming crosses in to the goal when no attacker is near him, why did today have to be different? :roll: Your keepers best game of the season today?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:17 pm

...must have been listening to different games Keith.

I got the distinct impression that we gave as good as we got.

You are beginning to sound like a distant relation of Negative Ned..... (only joking!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:21 pm

We played superbly today and no Port Vale fan could of complained if we had come away with 3 points. There wasn't one player on the pitch who had a bad game and to lose it at the death was gutting :( The defense were much better today, restricting them to long shots for most of the game. At the end of the day, we were going for the winner and they caught us on the counter attack, we have to win our next two games.
Crooky MFC

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:27 pm

IF we can reproduce todays performance over the next few games we WILL start to climb the table!

The new lad McGivern settled in very well and gave us width and penetration down the left. He should be a very useful addition.

Port Vale shaded the first half but we had the best of the second and with a little more luck could have taken all 3 points. Can only remember 2 Port Vale efforts on target in the second half and both went in, whereas we had 5 very good goal attempts and only came away with the one goal. Can't comment on the suspicions that the winner looked very much offside but I guess when your struggling the luck can turn against you. All in all a draw would have been a fairer reflection of the game overall with in my opinion Morecambes best performance for some time.

Tuesday night now takes on even more added significance and the team need and deserve our support more than ever. Accy will be fired up and are playing well.

Keep the faith and get down to Crusty and support the lads and we can turn this round!!
Burnley Shrimp

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Also, i thought we were very vocal for the number of fans we took today!
Crooky MFC

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:36 pm

I really, really hope that you guys who are saying we played well and can go onwards and upwards are right. What concerns me is when we became the first team to drop points to Barnet, the feedback was we'd played well and that Barnet are a decent team, who were in a false position. Yet Barnet are still struggling, did we make them look good? Today, we went to a team who had the worst home record in the top four divisions and 'played well' but still lost. We've mentioned their keeper pulling off a couple of good saves, but they hit the post in the first half too. Okay, today may have been 'one of those days'...

...but how many of 'those days' do you get in a season before it stops being 'bad luck'?

We made Grimsby look good, something no one else has managed to do. We 'played well' against Brentford... and lost by two goals...

I hope we beat Accrington on Tuesday. I don't care if we play brilliantly or garbage, as long as we get the win. A dreadful referee decision to give us a penalty in the 97th minute will do! But we need a win... quickly.

Keep the faith? Okay... but for how much longer?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby slackAlice » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:48 pm

I suppose it's one of those 'You had to be there' experiences today.

We showed a lot of grit and played some decent football today. The body language was right today and I feel a lot more positive tonight than I did after the Rochdale match. Grimsby was just bloody awful , but we competed from start to finish today and if we play like that , with that mentality , we'll win or draw more than we lose. You could see the team spirit today and after Jimbo scored he appeared very emotional running over to us and kissing the badge arms raised etc. Although we lost and it was heart-breaking at the end - it was a good performance and a good day out.
slackAlice

Postby valiant » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:00 pm

Crooky MFC wrote:We played superbly today and no Port Vale fan could of complained if we had come away with 3 points. There wasn't one player on the pitch who had a bad game and to lose it at the death was gutting :( The defense were much better today, restricting them to long shots for most of the game. At the end of the day, we were going for the winner and they caught us on the counter attack, we have to win our next two games.

I think you deserved to get a point but not 3. You didnt do enough in the final third and our two central defenders had your strikers in their back pockets all day. Luke Rodgers and Mark Richards are good enough to play at a higher level than this and even though they had poor games today, they both took their chances when they were presented.
valiant

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Keith wrote:I really, really hope that you guys who are saying we played well and can go onwards and upwards are right. What concerns me is when we became the first team to drop points to Barnet, the feedback was we'd played well and that Barnet are a decent team, who were in a false position. Yet Barnet are still struggling, did we make them look good? Today, we went to a team who had the worst home record in the top four divisions and 'played well' but still lost. We've mentioned their keeper pulling off a couple of good saves, but they hit the post in the first half too. Okay, today may have been 'one of those days'...

...but how many of 'those days' do you get in a season before it stops being 'bad luck'?

We made Grimsby look good, something no one else has managed to do. We 'played well' against Brentford... and lost by two goals...

I hope we beat Accrington on Tuesday. I don't care if we play brilliantly or garbage, as long as we get the win. A dreadful referee decision to give us a penalty in the 97th minute will do! But we need a win... quickly.

Blimey! I can't believe even you've turned to the DARK side Keith :o
We all know Tuesday nights game is now a must win but it couldn't have been a worse time to be facing a side like Accy who'll be more fired up than ever with us completely extinguished
I'd love to see us win and break this unnatural hoodoo once and for all, it’d certainly lay more than a few ghosts to rest :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby OvertheBar » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:21 pm

Keith said:

Anyone who was at Port Vale today would know the answer.

The team were terrific. Possibly their best performance of the season and I am gutted, absolutely gutted that we didn't get a result.

Some of the players were on their knees exhausted at the end of the game, it wasn't right that we lost. Each one put in a stonking good show and if this continues there is absolutely no chance of us getting relegated...grit, determination, skill, some excellent team play, passing...yep...PASSING not strictly hoof it up the park, shots on goal - off goal. They tried and tried and tried.

The fans (a good number got down there) were on top form...and Jim Bentley expressed it all with his celebration in front of us aftera tonking header.

Bring on Accrington...

...and in answer to your question Keith. Anyone who gives up on Morecambe now is making a huge mistake.
OvertheBar

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Like me, Keith will NEVER, EVER give up on Morecambe.
Christies Child

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:01 pm

OvertheBar wrote:Keith said:

The team were terrific. Possibly their best performance of the season and I am gutted, absolutely gutted that we didn't get a result.

Some of the players were on their knees exhausted at the end of the game, it wasn't right that we lost. Each one put in a stonking good show and if this continues there is absolutely no chance of us getting relegated...grit, determination, skill, some excellent team play, passing...yep...PASSING not strictly hoof it up the park, shots on goal - off goal. They tried and tried and tried.

The fans (a good number got down there) were on top form...and Jim Bentley expressed it all with his celebration in front of us aftera tonking header.

Bring on Accrington...

...and in answer to your question Keith. Anyone who gives up on Morecambe now is making a huge mistake.

well said mate we deserved and played well enough to get three points
im absolutley gutted we didnt get three points today
that performance deserved it the best of the season
We were the better team all day
saves from Anyon and with more luck in front of goal we could have had 3 points
bad luck conceding first goal has to be said henty played well as they all did all game
but their second goal was a travesty
Rodgers was at least two yards offside with clear daylight between him and last man
and richards too
a dreadful elementary basic error thats cost us something from the game

But...this isnt a time to get on the teams back certainly the view from everyone i spoke to after the game
Someone sang morecambe till i die...there you go Keith remember that... its damn frustrating but im sure we will get there.........
we need a big crowd and big support tuesday night and after todays showing the lads deserve it
full commentary tuesday night if you want to tune in
Shrimpsscene

Postby ezz » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:04 pm

It's not about keeping the faith.......just supporting the team even when were crap.......were not always going to be having a good season for the rest of our lives are we. Enjoy football for what it is a game.....one were not very good at :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby mfc:) » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:08 pm

Just remember we are football league and we are having a laugh!
Instead of being in the blue square! i saw bunch of barrow fans at services going to tamworth
and looked like they was having great time.
mfc:)

Postby ezz » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:12 pm

We have a football team to watch thats the main thing.........we could all be Lancaster supporters :cry:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:16 pm

Shrimpsscene wrote:

Bring on Accrington...

well said mate we deserved and played well enough to get three points
im absolutley gutted we didnt get three points today
that performance deserved it the best of the season
We were the better team all day
saves from Anyon and with more luck in front of goal we could have had 3 points
bad luck conceding first goal has to be said henty played well as they all did all game
but their second goal was a travesty
Rodgers was at least two yards offside with clear daylight between him and last man
and richards too
a dreadful elementary basic error thats cost us something from the game

But...this isnt a time to get on the teams back certainly the view from everyone i spoke to after the game
Someone sang morecambe till i die...there you go Keith remember that... its damn frustrating but im sure we will get there.........
we need a big crowd and big support tuesday night and after todays showing the lads deserve it
full commentary tuesday night if you want to tune in

I don't think Keith is necessarily getting on anyone's back or giving up on Morecambe, but he is raising legitimate points.

We did play well today and didn't deserve to lose but, as you point out, a dreadful elementary error cost us the game - not for the first time.

There is a positivity amongst some that is laudable but at times they see any concern, worry or questioning as some sort of personal affront to the club. We all have the right to question what's going on - it doesn't make us any less a supporter. The important thing is to be their for the next game giving all the support and encouragement we can.
Martin

Postby Mark S » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Bring on Accrington...

I agree 100% with that. We did not deserve to lose today. I thought we played the best I have seen us play this season and if we put in performances like that we will be more than OK.

I walked out shell shocked today and felt utterly robbed. Port Vale were obviously also playing for their lives today as well and it was a good contest, but I thought we were the better side (and I would say if that was not the case). Ironically their goal came on a counter attack when we were pushing for the winner. Personally, I couldnt tell it was offside as I was at the other end of the pitch, but it looked like a well taken chance with Port Vale pushing through us.

Their Goalie kept them in it and pulled off two cracking saves, but saying that they had one off the post that was strangely given as a corner. Maybe a draw would have been a fair result but I honestly thought for effort and a season best standard of football, we were going to do it. The new lad McGivern looked good and pushed forward when he got the chance.

Well done lads. Unlucky. Tuesday night beckons. We have never beaten Accrington over 90 minutes. Tuesday will be the first time, I am sure of it.

On a different note, the stewarding was very low key today and although that was possibly a good thing, when in such a tight area of seating I was disappointed that my lad struggled to see due to others standing up without consideration to others. The smoking ban was clearly not enforced and on a 'Lets Kick Racism Into Touch' day I was disgusted at one comment that was shouted at one of their players, and I wasnt the only one. We moved as far away as possible but I wont be taking him again to an away match, which is very sad.

Back to football. Lets make Tuesday night a wall of sound and get right behind the lads from the off. The North Stand were superb last Saturday. Keep it up! Local bragging rights are at stake and if nothing else I would like the win just for Oldhamade! :D
Mark S

Postby Jody » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:22 pm

What do they have to do to stop some people moaning more like??? That was the best performance so far this year for god sake!!!
The whole team were magnificent today from start to finish and I don't think anyone who was there today will have any complaints whatsoever. I feel sorry for Sammy on Monday morning because, in my opinion, even though we lost - we were the better side all over the park, and nobody could be made scapegoat, or even be blamed for anything today. Speaking to Matt after the game (who had a better view than us) their winner was miles offside, and miles into injury time due to a crap ref who couldn't even get his contact lenses in right, never make a right decision.. and as for his linesman who was in line with play in the run up to their second goal- I think he needs to try some of the refs contact lenses.
Much improved performance, yes it wasn't a win, and on a better day we would have got (at least) the draw we deserved, and most of us who have watched us this season would have taken that before the game.
There won't be many games where we play like that and get beat, and I for one am extremely happy with the massive improvement all over the field. The effort was there, the drive was there, there were attacks along both wings from the full backs, there were more chances than I've seen all season, fantastic saves from the goalkeeper, midfield were chasing, and closing down everything (Stanley MOM today for me)
So I'd just like to say, I appreciate the effort the team made today, and I know how gutted they must all be feeling, you could see how tired they all were after giving everything plus a little bit more.
And I'll be in the North Stand on Tuesday still waiting for that win. But most of all, NO COMPLAINTS from me.
Jody

Postby OvertheBar » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:48 pm

I don't think Keith is necessarily getting on anyone's back or giving up on Morecambe, but he is raising legitimate points.

I think Keith and others are struggling like me with the frustration of being at the wrong end of the table. Somehow it seemed as if everyone pulled together at Port Vale, players, fans and management, yet we still came away empty handed.

At the beginning of the season I quickly moaned about the lack of bite and pace in the team. Since Barnet, buoyed by a fighting performance at Lincoln and delighted with the lads today I feel a few wins will soon be ours and everyone will begin to :D again.
OvertheBar

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:13 pm

It is the frustration of not winning.

It'd be typical if we kick started with a win against our nemesis Accrington!

(typical and bloody wonderful!!) :D
Martin

Next

Return to General Discussion