Matt Donlan on topical issues..

Matt Donlan on topical issues..

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: Matt Donlan on topical issues..

Postby Mark S » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Disappointed with that Matt

You started the article stating that less than 1% of the fans 'Abuse' Sammy and the team, and that is the basis of a story that makes us look collectively like chumps.

The real story is that despite a really poor run of results, most fans are still very optimistic, right behind the manager and the players, upped the level of support and noise at the last home game and are planning indroves to get to the next game (which is 100 miles away) and continue to show their support. Many Supporters have supported this club through thick and thin since the NPL days and even further back, and we hurt when we are reported as not understanding Sammys budget constraints.

Doesnt grab the attention that though.

No story there, just more shame heaped on the fans.
Mark S

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Mark S wrote:Disappointed with that Matt...

...No story there, just more shame heaped on the fans.

Have to say, I agree 100% with Mark. I read Matt's article earlier and decided not to respond initially because I was unsure how best to word it.

This forum talking about nothing else for far too long was a pain in the arse, how much attention do these people deserve?

BBC News making a couple of gobby people sound like "everyone" was bad enough, we know they are incompetent tits. Local press doing the same...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby steve mfc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:01 pm

Likewise i read it and thought not again, it gives anyone that doesn't attend the games the wrong impression, maybe these reports do state that its only a small majority but its the negative image of Morecambe supporters that people will remember.

The fact is the support has been excellent considering the results this season, at most other clubs it would be much worse.
steve mfc

Postby Number 1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:46 pm

steve mfc wrote:
The fact is the support has been excellent considering the results this season, at most other clubs it would be much worse.

I don't think I fully agree with that. Whilst the overwhelming majority of support has been excellent, the fact is, we're about 1000 home fans down on last season...so how can that be excellent? It shows supreme fickleness and a complete lack of support if you ask me. Fair play to the supporters who do attend, but where are the missing 1000? Probably in NegativeNedville I shouldn't wonder.
Number 1

Postby Posh » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Sorry but that's a dreadfully pisspoor article.

The abusers start as 'a few misguided souls', quickly becomes 'a handful', then its 'the fans'. No sense of perspective whatsoever.

In my view criticism must be well-thought through, anchored by logic and without malice. One or two go beyond that as they do at any club having a bad run. However its clear that Matt hasn't been anywhere near the North Stand this season where I haven't heard a single boo or shout of negativity. Instead its been a bastion of reason where irrespective of opinions we've all got behind our team.

It's time Matt got out of the plastic box and got reacquainted with what's really going on.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby steve mfc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:35 pm

Number 1 wrote:
steve mfc wrote:

I don't think I fully agree with that. Whilst the overwhelming majority of support has been excellent, the fact is, we're about 1000 home fans down on last season...so how can that be excellent? It shows supreme fickleness and a complete lack of support if you ask me. Fair play to the supporters who do attend, but where are the missing 1000? Probably in NegativeNedville I shouldn't wonder.

Its the people who have been attending and getting behind the team that i am referring to when i say excellent, after all the article was about abuse not the lack of support.
steve mfc

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Hardly "topical" either.

Maybe it was topical a couple of weeks ago, old news that was hardly worthy of that title to start with.

Sounds like someone desperate for a story.

Sorry Matt but this "story" stinks.
morecambe mick

Postby Harry » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:58 pm

Number 1 wrote:
steve mfc wrote:

Last season we were about 1000 fans up on the season before - most people will have come last season to see Morecambe playing at a higher level, and to see what all the fuss is/was about. We have probably gained a fair few fans season on season but not everyone is a diehard, season ticket supporter, will show up no matter what. People want to see a team win and if Morecambe aren't, they'll go back to whoever they supported previously, quite possibly a larger club in the top division.

We aren't trying to attract Morecambe fans to the games, Morecambe fans are already there. Who we are trying to attract and subsequently convert is the English public, those of whom live in the area. They may be slightly fickle, I wouldn't say supremely so, but what do they owe the club? They pay to see a football match and if the quality isn't to their requirements they'll go elsewhere, and in my opinion shouldn't be made to feel guilty for doing so.
Harry

Postby Number 1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:42 pm

Harry wrote:
Number 1 wrote:
steve mfc wrote:

Last season we were about 1000 fans up on the season before - most people will have come last season to see Morecambe playing at a higher level, and to see what all the fuss is/was about. We have probably gained a fair few fans season on season but not everyone is a diehard, season ticket supporter, will show up no matter what. People want to see a team win and if Morecambe aren't, they'll go back to whoever they supported previously, quite possibly a larger club in the top division.

We aren't trying to attract Morecambe fans to the games, Morecambe fans are already there. Who we are trying to attract and subsequently convert is the English public, those of whom live in the area. They may be slightly fickle, I wouldn't say supremely so, but what do they owe the club? They pay to see a football match and if the quality isn't to their requirements they'll go elsewhere, and in my opinion shouldn't be made to feel guilty for doing so.

I have to disagree in part I'm afraid Harry. Whilst I appreciate what you're saying (and you make a good point) my viewpoint is that whilst you might think that people perhaps don't owe the club anything, do the Morecambe public really want a Football League club? If so, they DO owe it to the club to support it and boost the attendances. As a fan, you don't go to a football match for the quality, you go to support your team, win lose or draw. It's keeping the element that you describe and turning them into Morecambe fans which is the hard bit. The board and other staff at the club work really hard to bring in more support, investment and sponsorship (as well as promotion to the FL) to the club, but you have to wonder what they're thinking when, despite all that, the public of Morecambe turn their back on the club when they're needed most, just over a year after 12,000 travel to Wembley to "Support" MFC. That's why I described them as being supremely fickle.
Number 1

Postby campdave » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:16 am

Number 1 wrote:
steve mfc wrote:

Happens football over - how many of the people at MK Dons on the last day of last season do you think were there for the first time? Their attendances have dropped now they're winning less often in a higher league.
campdave

Postby The Fury » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:25 am

Can't you miscreants just let the man do his job without hurling abuse at him!?

Matt's come along way in a short space of time. If he doesn't write something that is Pullitzer Prize winning don't you think he hurts more than anyone?

:mrgreen:
The Fury

Postby Howe Magic » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:18 am

Totally agree with the fury about matt - matt is paid to write a weekly column in the local paper which i really enjoy reading,If we dont all agree with what he writes then tough,do we all agree with what is put in the daily mirror or the times or the express no i dont think we do so let please let matt get on with is job which personally i think he does really well..... In my humble opinion the citizen sports column as come a long long way in the last 5 years and i look forward to reading it week in week out....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MATT
Howe Magic

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:24 am

He also does some good work on the website with good updates through the week.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Mark S » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:45 am

I think Howe Magic has missed the point completely

I was not criticising Matts Citizen column or any other work he does. Always a decent read (if my copy comes on time before the next match! :lol: ). I am taking issue with that particular article from a Football League Website that regards us, The Fans.

That article is nothing to do with any weekly newspaper column.

If you didnt see Fury's tongue sticking out of his cheek, you need glasses!

Take a chil pill and stop telling others what to do and please dont tell me that I cant voice my opinion on a Football League website article. Matts a big enough boy to either stick up for himself on here or when we see each other face to face.

Look whats happened. We are all 'Hurting' :cry:
Mark S

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:09 am

marky No.1 wrote:http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/ColumnistsDetail/0,,10794~1428473,00.html

WOW Certainly got a few bites there!
It was me that advertised the article as "topical" as it has been in the news recently and I apologise for bringing it up again. I thought it was a good thing that one of our local journalists had got a full page on the Football League website and good luck to Matt for getting the exposure.
HOWEVER it is a shame that he has had to dig to the bottom of the pit for an article. I've been called a few things :o but I for one do not like being introduced as a "strange beast". Matt states 1% let the side down but at Morecambe on the one occasion he refers to it was more like .003%

Last season we visited every town, village, city and industrial park in League 2 and were greeted with "who are ya", "where", "who", "what" together with sniggers, jibes etc.
This season we are proud to return to these places as there is more of "how ya doing", "new stadium", "must visit the Midland as my grandad used to go there", "you trained the England goalie", "you're the friendly club!" "well done to ya mate"

These people now know who we are and where we come from. Morecambe F.C. are now firmly on the map, let's not forget that and let ourselves down.

Matt i hope you respond ;)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Jody » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Funny how people read things differently.
The view I got from reading Matt's article that the first section was discussing fans in general. In my opinion he then goes on to discuss a 'few' Morecambe fans being disgruntled, he doesn't generalise, and the 1% of fans wasn't aimed at Morecambe I don't think?
It comes across to me that Matt is slating purely the fans who have voiced abuse at Sammy and his team, and the article didn't offend me in the slightest.
And with regards to Matt 'getting out of the box' in my opinion he is probably further out of the box than most of us, travelling to almost every game a season, speaking to the fans, manager, and players on a daily basis - I'm sure they will voice their opinions on what they have heard.
Jody

Postby badger » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:38 pm

IAGREE JUDY.
well said
badger

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:18 pm

badger wrote:IAGREE JUDY.
well said

Badger, you are asking for a slap! :shock:

Can I be next Judy, please :?: :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby Sammy h » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:39 pm

Top report Matt.
Sammy h

Postby Mark S » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:10 am

Sammy h wrote:Top report Matt.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Report :lol:
Mark S

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:14 am

morecambe mick wrote:Can I be next Judy, please :?: :lol: :lol:

You're taking it in turns to be Judy and you want to be the next one? You want me to change your user name to Morecambe Judy for a while??? :lol: :lol:

badger wrote:IAGREE JUDY.
well said

Yeah, but who are you to Judge Judy?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:00 pm

Mark S wrote:

Picky fans always trying top be smarter than the next ones.
Sammy h

Postby Mark S » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Sammy h wrote:
Mark S wrote:

Picky fans always trying top be smarter than the next ones.

And you make it so easy Sam! 8-)

Sincere apologies. Posted at daft o'clock after too much wine.
Mark S

Return to General Discussion