The Future

Re: The Future

Postby campdave » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Posh wrote:Interestingly he started the season as another Sammy reject but has forced his way back into the side because Sammy's preferred players weren't as good as he thought.

Could part of that be down to Drummond's indifferent form last season though? he hardly set the world alight after he signed for us.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Not only Drummy but Stanley, Yates, Twiss and possibly Howard could all be in the same situation. All contracted players. Wanted last season but not this...initially.

Ironically all except Howard have come back into the reckonong, which suggests that their replacements are not as good as was thought.

Which begs the question, is potential signing (?) Duffy rumoured to be a £50K target another gamble?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Jody » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Posh wrote:
shrimper wrote:Unfortunately we have only been able to replace them with players who have not been more consistent and who, by any measures - including Sammy's own - are clearly not as much use.

Take Neil Wainwright for example, he was released by a club in our league who thought he was past his best and who their fans, almost universally, thought had clear and major weaknesses to his game. This information was available at the time yet we signed him and it hardly inspired me at the time (the same for Andy Parrish).

I think the situation with Parrish was that Bury had 2 very similar players. (and by similar I mean in ability, age, position) One had another year left on his contract, and one didn't, so Parrish, being the one out of contract was released.
In regards to the Drummond situation I think he has been a useful player, since he signed. But him and Stanley struggle to play together (as you have no ball winner) and Sammy has tried Stanley, Drummond and Hunter, which in my opinion hasn't been too successful. I think it always has to be Hunter, plus another in the centre, and for me Stanley has the effort, drive, and ability over 90+ minutes, whereas Drummond, for me, seems to fall off the pace around the 70 minute mark. Plus Stanley's passing seems to have improved this season, and is now looking for more forward balls to play people in.
I said it last week after the Gillingham game, and I'll say it again. I think Sammy deserves the chance to turn things around. He doesn't become a bad manager overnight, and he is still the same manager who guided us out of the Conference, and started us off in the League so magnificently last season. Yes he has signed some players, who arguably, aren't any better than what we already had/released. But he has brought in Howe, and Roche who have been 2 of our best players this season, so it isn't all bad. In my opinion also, we struggle to attract players to Morecambe at the minute, never mind managers, and I think we would struggle to replace Sammy.
A few wins would fire us right up that table, and all this hoo ha will be forgotten, so fingers crossed we can kick start that on Saturday. Any moaners on here, get yourself to Port Vale and channel some of this negativity into positive support and encouragement for the team you support. And if I'm not mistaken, support means through the rough patches and the smooth. ( the latter of which we had our fair share of last season) And remember, we owe a lot of that, and respect to the guy in charge.
Jody

Postby campdave » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Which begs the question, is potential signing (?) Duffy rumoured to be a £50K target another gamble?

We won't know unless he actually signs for us, no matter how many times you ask the bloody question!
campdave

Postby marky » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Christies Child wrote:Ironically all except Howard have come back into the reckonong, which suggests that their replacements are not as good as was thought.

Howard has been very unlucky with injuries, though, and would probably have more than come back into the reckoning by now.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:37 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

We won't know unless he actually signs for us, no matter how many times you ask the bloody question!

Of course he is a gamble, as is any player. We don't know for certain how/if they will perform for us.
Harry

Postby Posh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:04 pm

campdave wrote:
Posh wrote:Interestingly he started the season as another Sammy reject but has forced his way back into the side because Sammy's preferred players weren't as good as he thought.

Could part of that be down to Drummond's indifferent form last season though? he hardly set the world alight after he signed for us.

That's the same with every team Drummy's joined including ourselves both times. At Chester they wanted him out after six games but ended the season captain and player of the season. Not much different at Shrewsbury.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Neil G » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:39 am

Posh wrote:
campdave wrote:

That's the same with every team Drummy's joined including ourselves both times. At Chester they wanted him out after six games but ended the season captain and player of the season. Not much different at Shrewsbury.

You really can tell he's your mate though Posh, remember my rant about " Drummy spitting out his dummy" that upset you so much all those years ago and then when we finally decided to meet at Farnborough Town for a beer you refused the pint of peace that was on offer ;)
Neil G

Previous

Return to General Discussion