Loan Signings

Loan Signings

Postby dford » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:11 pm

I know this may not be the answer but can sammy bring in a few loan signings for 1/2 months. maybe some from league 1 or championship, im not a big fan of completly kitting out the team in loan players.

I know sammy tried with the lad form Plymouth but that didn't work. surely teams like leeds, leciester and carlisle have many many players some who could do a desent job for us, other teams around us sign loan players we dont seem to. is this due to the wage budget again? or just nobody willing to come to morecambe.

Thoughts please.......
dford

Re: Loan Signings

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:41 pm

Think it's due to money we're up to the limit of the wage cap noone can come in unless someone goes out. So we are stuck with what we have I am afraid.

A couple of loan signings can make all the difference look at hereford. The problem arises when you have hardly any contracted players for the next season as they are finding out now.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby <3 Morecambe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:01 pm

The team doesn't work well together that's the problem
Morecambe Til I Die
<3 Morecambe

Postby nobbyshrimp » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Its paying off for Shrewsbury new boss Paul Simpson :!: I'm not a lover of loans myself but if it gets you the results you need (as it is doing in Shrewsbury's case and did for Hereford) I know which I would rather have.

Luke Daniels - GoalKeeper - Season long loan from West Brom (Signed just after new boss Simpson arrived even though already had 3 other keepers, 2 of which have now been sent out on loan).
Saen Thornton - Midfield - 1 month rolling on-loan contract from Leyton Orient. Now returned as Orient wanted Shrews to pay 100% wages.
Gylfi Sigurdsson - Young Icelanic midfielder - Drafted in from Reading after Thornton returned to Orient. Scored on his debut via Bournmouth in 4.1 win last Saturday.
Richard Walker - Striker - Season long loan from Bristol Rovers.
All the above are excellent players :!:

James Constable - Striker - Out on loan to Oxford.
James Meredith - Defender - On-loan to AFC Telford
nobbyshrimp

Postby parkyboy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Agree with Nobby Shrimp it is the way we should be going, The current crop of players will not take us up the table without the help of some strong and pacey help in defence and mideield and a rel sharpshooting striker
parkyboy

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:45 pm

I don't think its a case of no-one wants to come to Morecambe more a case of we are at the top of our wage bill and Sammy can't bring anyone in untill he off loads a few players
heysham_mfc

Postby admiral47 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:47 pm

I think Sammy needs to have a long hard look at his self, he is largely to blame for the where we are in the league. Cant understand some of his signings -did he not have a proper look before he comitted the clubs funds??? Yet he can let Newby go, try to get rid of stanley and Yates.
admiral47

Postby seasonsinthesun » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Seem to remember a Morecambe player scoring a Right foot, Left foot and Header hat trick last season in the league, but he's not here now :? :(
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby campdave » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:32 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:Seem to remember a Morecambe player scoring a Right foot, Left foot and Header hat trick last season in the league, but he's not here now :? :(

Was it the same player who look indifferent in plenty of the matches he played in?
campdave

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:56 pm

campdave wrote:
seasonsinthesun wrote:Seem to remember a Morecambe player scoring a Right foot, Left foot and Header hat trick last season in the league, but he's not here now :? :(

Was it the same player who look indifferent in plenty of the matches he played in?

Is this the same player with the best time on pitch to goals ratio?
morecambe mick

Postby nobbyshrimp » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:57 pm

admiral47 wrote:I think Sammy needs to have a long hard look at his self, he is largely to blame for the where we are in the league. Cant understand some of his signings -did he not have a proper look before he comitted the clubs funds??? Yet he can let Newby go, try to get rid of stanley and Yates.

Steady on now :!: Sammy + Mark are Morecambe through + through and this is why the board back them 100%. Yes they are to blame for where we are, because they are the management team and they are honest enough sort of blokes to admit that they pick the team and therefore they carry the can for success or not in this case. They got us promoted at Wembley and I for one was amazed when we did. They did brilliant in our first season in the league, again better than I expected. This season was always going to be the hardest as all the other teams now know us. We had to let Thommo go as he wanted to try at a higher level and subsequently refused to sign another contract. We had to let Baker go because if we had of stopped him we would have ruined his football career and his best would have gone as he also wanted to try at a higher level. Jon Newby, well we all have mixed feelings about this one but if he were to have stayed he would have needed a minimum 1 or possibly 2 year contract and although I still think he had something to offer us, I don't think he is as good as Howe who we wouldn't have got if Newby had of stayed. Basically we are stuck with a team of players, most of which are under contract. This is one of the reasons that Sammy was reasonably happy for Twissy to go because he is another on our books under performing but stopping us from getting a younger, fitter player in. Don't get me wrong Twiss has been an ambassador for Morecambe FC but times are a changing and we need to move on and freshen things up. WE NEED TO GET SOME OUT ON LOAN AND OFF OUR WAGE BILL ASAP!! If not, we're stuck with what we've got. Stanners is another who obviously crossed the line and thought that they made the team, when in fact no one player does. Hopefully he has resolved his differences but if not and even though I rate him highly, let him go and bring someone in who wants to wear the red of Morecambe FC with pride :!: We'll get out of this but be a bit more patient, we're towards the bottom yes but we've only lost 4 games :!: :!:
nobbyshrimp

Postby steve mfc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Personally i don't think clubs should be able to make loan signing at all, except if all your goal keepers are injured.

I know we have gained in the past and you could argue we wouldn't even be in the football league without loan signings, but it just seems all a bit false.

I would prefer teams to sink or swim with the signings they make than be able to use a get of jail card.

Its not even a fair system, some clubs can get a better quality of loan player than a club like ours can attract. Geographical factors also come into play if you are near several clubs in a higher league then you have a distinct advantage.

Maybe there should be a limit too the amount of loan signings a team can make in a season, at the moment i think it is getting out of hand.
steve mfc

Postby Mark S » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:15 pm

I blame Mark & Sammy for where we are too!

Playing in the Football League! :roll: :D

We have been spoiled.
Mark S

Postby marky » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:18 pm

steve mfc wrote:Maybe there should be a limit too the amount of loan signings a team can make in a season, at the moment i think it is getting out of hand.

The only reason the loan market is so well used these days is down to the ridiculous transfer window. I think it should be scrapped.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby thegentlegiant » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm

I do feel that we should bring in a few loan signings but we do need to get a few out on loan first!!!
thegentlegiant

Postby campdave » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:21 am

morecambe mick wrote:
campdave wrote:

Is this the same player with the best time on pitch to goals ratio?

The same player that set Scottish first Division and now the Conference on fire?
campdave

Postby sgt major » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:10 am

It's very harsh to blame the team management.

Players all want to play, when they are not picked they sometimes throw teddies out of the cot and demand transfers etc. So, when the management team pick these players and show some faith its then up to the players to perform and keep their places.

I've always said that we DO have the players - they have to prove they can do the business. Sammy does not lose the ball in midfield or miss from 5 yards out or doesnt get the tackle in - the players do that after a week of full time training.

Time, I think, to all pull together - just like the Spurs players are saying - they have let their manager down.
sgt major

Postby bops73 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:24 am

I think they've put to many new players in the team straight away and there not working well together at the moment, they need time to gel but fans are fickle and want instant success. :D
bops73

Postby cultured » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:53 am

Howe > Newby

Blinkhorn > Newby

As Newby is not a pacy forward, in fact, he's not much of a forward, as he currently resides on the bench at Burton. Watching the Rochdale game, everything looks alright, but we are woefully short of pace on the flanks. Only goal came when Howe got into a channel behind the back 4 and was the only time we did it.

We used to have some bloke called Thompson who was brilliant at that. I believe Carlisle have a pacy forward who I think would couple with Howe brilliantly up top that they use sparingly.

I assume the problem that Sammy has in player recruitment is as follows.

1. Pace is now seen as a premium must have attribute in the modern game.
2. Therefore everyone is falling over themselves to sign any tom dick and Dean Howell that can run quite fast and kick a ball.
3. We are an outpost in football terms, and players looking for a start in the lower leagues can play at a lot more fashionable lower league teams than us. We used to be able to bypass that by having a moneybags set of directors in the conference. With a new ground to finance and only getting 2000 a week, we're now in a scenario that we can't attract the better players.
4. Therefore there are not many suitable players to pick from.

All we need is one or two players and the team would look substantially better on the pitch. We're not scoring enough goals, and given an injection of pace, we'd pin the opposition back a bit which would reduce the against column also.

Rather than bemoan the options that Sammy has brought in, surely the combined footballing knowledge of this messageboard can think of some diamonds in the lower leagues or in the reserves of the local Championship sides we can have a borrow of?
cultured

Postby marky » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Leeds tend to send their youngsters to sides closer to home (Guisley seem to have a steady stream at the moment) so I think they're out as an option.
marky

Postby cultured » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:45 pm

Leeds are a League One outfit, their cast offs probably wouldn't make it in League 2, Vauxhall Conference North/National would be their level.
cultured

Postby parkyboy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:52 pm

Guiseley have a goal scoring striker called BROWN who is quite speedy and knows where the goal is, he came to them this season from Bradford City , well worth a look.
parkyboy

Postby marky » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:11 pm

cultured wrote:Leeds are a League One outfit

They may be in League 1, but they have a top class academy (there won't be many sides who have two 17 year olds starting regularly and receiving many plaudits in the process). They've also recently been cited by none otherthan Sepp Blatter as an example for other teams with financial troubles to follow (i.e. invest in youth).

We're not talking about cast offs, but players who either aren't ready to play in League 1 or are being kept out by others in top form. Leeds have a good left-sided player in Ben Parker who spent a bit of time with Darlington last season who could do a very good job for us. He's currently being kept out of the side by one of the 17 year olds.
marky

Postby shrimper » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:20 pm

cultured wrote:Watching the Rochdale game, everything looks alright, but we are woefully short of pace on the flanks. Only goal came when Howe got into a channel behind the back 4 and was the only time we did it.

All we need is one or two players and the team would look substantially better on the pitch. We're not scoring enough goals, and given an injection of pace, we'd pin the opposition back a bit which would reduce the against column also.

Nice post, cultured. Without the pace from somewhere, as you say, teams are not being put on the back foot. With Thommo and Baker they knew they couldn't push too far forward or they may get caught on the break. Now there's not that threat and we see just how their full-backs get forward more to help out in attack.
Despite what others have said, Howe does have good pace and power and he does give his markers a problem. But Wayne (though he contributes in other ways) doesn't give them that problem and Wainwright hasn't done it for a few games now (though he looked good early on and in pre-season).

Without that pace we'll have to grind out results, get the ball pushed through to Rene on the deck more often, try to get Aaron on the ball in the box more and really look to exploit Stanley's free-kicks and corners.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:42 pm

cultured wrote:Leeds are a League One outfit, their cast offs probably wouldn't make it in League 2, Vauxhall Conference North/National would be their level.

Where is league played?

Is it in this country?
morecambe mick

Next

Return to General Discussion