Sorry to say it but

Re: Sorry to say it but

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Sammy h wrote:Great back 4 bar DA. Henry and Yatesy should be in there every week.

If you exclude one of the back 4, then it wasn't that great was it? ;)
Martin

Postby Weetabix Kid » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Give some credit to SM for recalling Yatesy, he is one of the players I like to watch and plays like a proper fullback should with bags of energy unlike uncle festa bless him.

I'd settle for 3rd bottom, we're desperate for the new stadium then we can attract some decent loan signings (which is what most of the others do) and hopefully some bigger named players on their way down the leagues to attract the crowds
Weetabix Kid

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:56 pm

Great back three then.
Sammy h

Postby badger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:11 pm

last season people were saying this season will be a struggle,how did they no that.
none of us new who sammy was going to sell or bring in this year,it is just an excuse and very negative.
badger

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:15 pm

badger wrote:last season people were saying this season will be a struggle,how did they no that.

Because we were dire for the 2nd half of last season and that was before we lost our best two players!
The Red Knight

Postby Abbo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:04 pm

And here is another 1 for you, i know Baker and Thomo have gone into a higher league but why did Sammy let Jon Newby leave ? i think Rene and Jon would have been a great pairing up front.
Abbo

Postby badger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:36 pm

RED KNIGHT
people were saying at the start of last season that the second season in the league is always the hardest.

the real problem why we are struggling this year is sammy bringing in some players who are not league 2 players .i think we need to get someone in who has real good pace up front.
i like howe he has a good touch with the ball but he has no pace.danny carlton was the one player with pace, but we have not got anyone to replace him since he left.
badger

Postby Mr Munnings » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:37 pm

Abbo wrote:And here is another 1 for you, i know Baker and Thomo have gone into a higher league but why did Sammy let Jon Newby leave ? i think Rene and Jon would have been a great pairing up front.

Abbo
Jon Newby wasnt good enough
Aaron Taylor and Rene Howe look to be a good strike partnership
The goal yesterday was superb involving both players
Isn't it great to have another local lad make the grade?
He's featured in three successive matches and impressed many of us in each.
Mr Munnings

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:42 pm

badger wrote:RED KNIGHT
people were saying at the start of last season that the second season in the league is always the hardest.

the real problem why we are struggling this year is sammy bringing in some players who are not league 2 players .i think we need to get someone in who has real good pace up front.i like howe he has a good touch with the ball but he has no pace.danny carlton was the one player with pace, but we have not got anyone to replace him since he left.

I'd be very suprised if fellow SV's and beyond felt otherwise.

Conversation on the way down yesterday was about how the Carlisle fans seem to have taken a dislike to DC. Probably no chance, but I'd have him back tomorrow, if only for his pace!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:37 pm

For me the important word is PACE! Too many of our players don't have enough of it, all of the back four who played yesterday plus Artell, and also Wainwright, Drummond, Curtis and Howe, only Stanley seemed to have any drive, but man of the match?? Shoud have been Roche, outstanding triple save first half and great punch away in second half, kept us in it against a good Rochdale side who frankly out-passed us all afternoon.
This is the reality as I see it, not meaning to be negative but this is obviously turning into a difficult season for us.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:11 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:For me the important word is PACE! Too many of our players don't have enough of it, all of the back four who played yesterday plus Artell, and also Wainwright, Drummond, Curtis and Howe, only Stanley seemed to have any drive, but man of the match?? Shoud have been Roche, outstanding triple save first half and great punch away in second half, kept us in it against a good Rochdale side who frankly out-passed us all afternoon.
This is the reality as I see it, not meaning to be negative but this is obviously turning into a difficult season for us.

If you allow any team so much space in midfield then they will out-pass the opposition. The midfield area is a major problem. Doesn't protect the defence and isn't creative enough to provide the ammunition to our strikers. Maybe this is one reason why Sammy seems so keen to bring in a speedy (?) wide man so that midfield can offer better protection to the defence. Southport's Duffy as we all know is rumoured to be on the managers 'wanted' list. I have doubts about the guy but if he comes and he has only 80% of Thommos potential then if he does the business ....excellent!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Abbo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Mr Munnings in reply to your post. indeed it is great to see another local lad make the breakthrough into the 1st team and i do think that if there good enough they should play never mind there age and i think Aaron has a very bright future ahead of him but like situations that we are in now i do think experience counts. I"m really pleased with the response there has been to my original post, it just shows that people can have a good discussion at times.
Abbo

Postby Posh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:55 pm

Weetabix Kid wrote:Give some credit to SM for recalling Yatesy

No. I don't see he had any other choice. We'll see how Yatesy performs but everyone has suggested he said should be recalled. Perhaps we'd have been stronger at right back and in defence had he played all season. Time will tell.

As the regards the comments about expecting a poor second season. Perhaps we should have but only because as Jody says we've replaced good players with weaker ones. Daggers are flying, Bury with similar crowds are second, even cash-strapped Accy are above us.

PMG has publically stated he wants 1st division football and is putting in place a new stadium and the off-field revenues to deliver it. However on the field it's difficult to see where the foundations are to deliver it.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Mr Munnings » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Posh wrote:
Weetabix Kid wrote:Give some credit to SM for recalling Yatesy

No. I don't see he had any other choice. We'll see how Yatesy performs but everyone has suggested he said should be recalled. Perhaps we'd have been stronger at right back and in defence had he played all season. Time will tell.

As the regards the comments about expecting a poor second season. Perhaps we should have but only because as Jody says we've replaced good players with weaker ones. Daggers are flying, Bury with similar crowds are second, even cash-strapped Accy are above us.

PMG has publically stated he wants 1st division football and is putting in place a new stadium and the off-field revenues to deliver it. However on the field it's difficult to see where the foundations are to deliver it.

Adam Yates was on loan at Burton and that loan spell has ended hasn't it?
It doesn't follow that Sammy has to pick him despite clamour on this forum for his inclusion.
He did pick him and thats his call.I'm with Matt Donlan on his performance
I think he count himself fortunate to start yesterday.

Poor second season..... You're right there I think the downturn in form since January with more scouts watching us and sussing out our style of play has made it harder and that includes our flair players in there.

The Club sold Baker and allowed Thompson to leave we cant do much about that. Lewis was a Norwich player so we couldnt do much about that either. As a minnow club in this league we are not going to attract the top players. Individually these new players have some quality but we're not seeing a consistent balanced 11 playing week in week out which I think is needed.

Peter Mcguigan might well be looking to get us a new stadium and new revenue streams but perhaps he could allow his manager revenue to bring in some quality loan signings like Charnock at Accrington. A club cash strapped as you describe
Mr Munnings

Postby Posh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Mr Munnings wrote:Adam Yates was on loan at Burton and that loan spell has ended hasn't it?

To be exact Adam Yates was on the transfer list. If things had gone the way the management wanted he wouldn't have been here to have been recalled.

Mr Munnings wrote:Poor second season..... You're right there I think the downturn in form since January with more scouts watching us and sussing out our style of play has made it harder and that includes our flair players in there.

Like I said it doesn't seem to have been a problem for the Daggers. What is our style of play anyway?

Mr Munnings wrote:Peter Mcguigan might well be looking to get us a new stadium and new revenue streams but perhaps he could allow his manager revenue to bring in some quality loan signings like Charnock at Accrington. A club cash strapped as you describe

I think Sammy's been given a hell of a lot of money to play with and a hell of a free rein to bring in players. We're right up to our budget limit, have the largest squad we've ever had and brought in a significant amount of players in the summer. If Sammy thinks he still needs to bring in players then contracted players are going to have to be transferred or go on season long loans and then new money found for signing-on fees etc.

Charnock is a good loan deal and an astute move by John Coleman. We on the other hand get Dan Smith who wasn't physically strong enough to play a League 2 match. And at what expense? Would you risk more of your personal cash on month-long loan deals?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:22 am

Posh wrote:
Mr Munnings wrote:What is our style of play anyway?

Try to win home games 1-0 and draw away games 0-0.
Goal keeper to kick the ball as far down the pitch as possible, usually to one of the oppositions wide defenders.
Defence to kick the ball as far down the pitch as possible, usually to their central defenders.
Four players in the middle of the pitch at risk of Repetative Strain Injury as they watch the ball fly over their heads, then try and win the ball back from the opposition.
Two front players who have to come back and look for the ball because they never get a pass to feet if they don't.

Then, once we've gone a goal behind, we sometimes try and play football until we get back to 1-1, at which point, we revert to the plan.

Did I miss much?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Abbo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:20 am

Wow 1,ooo views to my toplc, i cant make the Brenford game but will be paying the rip off price at Port Vale on saturday, so i may have something possitive to say by then (hopefully)
Abbo

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:10 am

Abbo wrote:The first 2 results i now look for are Luton and Bournmouth, because there the only reason that we will stay in the football league. That performance today was rubbish especially the first half'. Which Celtic did we get O Carroll from, Stalybridge, the guy isnt very good to say the least and as for Wainwright i better not say what i think about him cos i would get barred from this site, not a good performance at all today AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!

Have to agree about looking out for the Luton and Bournemouth results, I think we would be in a very real relegation battle if it wasn't for them.

I'd have to agree about O'Carroll and Wainwright too, O'Carroll just doesn't seem to have any pace, he has flashes of skill but is quite regularly a few yards of where he needs to be. Wainwright was largely AWOL on Saturday, I think Yates got further down the wing more often then him.
However I'd have to disagree that the performance on the whole was 'rubbish', fair enough the first half was pretty crap but the second was much more encouraging and had we had the run of the ball may have sneaked a winner.
North Stand Shrimp

Previous

Return to General Discussion