Southport's Duffy update

Southport's Duffy update

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:03 pm

Sammy has made no secret that he's keen on signing him.

Well from their perspective, it seems as though the majority want rid of him especially as they suggest that the £50K that's been mentioned would be 'the sale of the century'. Opinion seems to suggest that he likes to beat his marker; time and time again, rather than put in the telling cross.

IF he comes and I for one am not that convinced he's what we need, he'll have to be worked on by the management to rid himself of some bad habits by the sounds of it. His discipline for instance sounds a bit poor!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Southport's Duffy update

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:07 pm

Christies Child wrote:Sammy has made no secret that he's keen on signing him.

Well from their perspective, it seems as though the majority want rid of him especially as they suggest that the £50K that's been mentioned would be 'the sale of the century'. Opinion seems to suggest that he likes to beat his marker; time and time again, rather than put in the telling cross.
IF he comes and I for one am not that convinced he's what we need, he'll have to be worked on by the management to rid himself of some bad habits by the sounds of it. His discipline for instance sounds a bit poor!

Frustratingly, Carl Baker had the same tendancy (certainly during the latter stages of the season). Eventually he'd get outnumbered.
Martin

Postby Howe Magic » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:26 am

just read southports website and it looks like duffy had a decent game yesterday against boston united in the fa cup - taking on the full back time and time again and putting some decent crosses into the danger zone ....certainly sounds like a good player to me but we will have to watch this space to see if he signs for the shrimps
Howe Magic

Postby DTSJim » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 am

MRH wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Sammy has made no secret that he's keen on signing him.

Frustratingly, Carl Baker had the same tendancy (certainly during the latter stages of the season). Eventually he'd get outnumbered.

My First thought when I read that line was Carl Baker as well, at least if he can take people on that's probably doubles the amount of players we have who can take people on with current confidence levels.
DTSJim

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:00 am

Southport have just signed Michael Barnes a left sided wide player.

Maybe he has been signed to replace Duffy.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby nobbyshrimp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:57 am

I would love Duffy to be the answer to all our worries but one player doesn't make a team and there is such a big difference between that league and the football league. Its a massive jump up! Its a gamble that paid off with Baker but lets keep our feet on the ground. If he were that good, especially after so much speculation in the press about a possible move to Morecambe, he would have been signed by someone else. £50,000 might not sound alot but it bloody well is and we go back to the old 'if we had decent facilities, we could attract decent players for next to nothing, but we don't, yet'! We should be very grateful to our board of directors for backing Sammy like they do because most clubs our size would only be able to sign this type of player at the end of his contract and not pay it off. I just hope, if it does happen, that he is the right player and not money wasted but saying that I back Sammy and Mark to do what is right.
nobbyshrimp

Postby campdave » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:12 am

Is it possible the £50k isn't upfront, but based on appearanced etc?

Often the media seem to report the potential value of the deal, rather than the initial value.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37 am

There's a suggsetion I understand that we might take the guy on laon until January which would give us time to evaluate his potential and then, if he proves his worth, pay a pre-agreed fee with the usual conditions attached.

This seems to be an arrangement (if true) that would, on the face of it, be the ideal solution for all concerned.

I have my doubts about the guy, BUT if he comes and he proves to be worthy of the red shirt than I will be more than delighted to accept that I got it wrong ( for once! :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby John L » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:41 am

John L

Postby shrimper » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:17 pm

Anyone actually seen him play?
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:31 pm

bear in mind, this story is almost two weeks old now

shrimper wrote:Anyone actually seen him play?

Southport fans! Most of whom think £50,000 is excellent business for them.

That said, most Northwich fans were gutted to see Carr go and thought he would set Division 2 alight so that just proves, what do fans know? :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby John L » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:54 am

Keith wrote:

bear in mind, this story is almost two weeks old now

That's very strange! Seriously, when I first saw that article yesterday, the published date definitely said 14th October! I think I need to lie down!!! :? :lol:
John L

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby james456 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:44 pm

marky No.1 wrote:The saga continues:

http://www.lep.co.uk/nonleague-football ... 4648570.jp

I hope we get players off our wage bill soon so we can bring him in on loan... If you read that article, it says he's 23. He was 22 in the last one - hurry up Sammy! :)
james456

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:26 pm

Keith wrote:That said, most Northwich fans were gutted to see Carr go and thought he would set Division 2 alight so that just proves, what do fans know? :roll:

Yeah but this guy looks like Scholesey 8-)
maybe Sammy see's him that way ;)
HALMA 1983

Return to General Discussion