O/T Scam Warning

O/T Scam Warning

Postby Christies Child » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Anybody who uses PayPal be warned that a new scam is out and about suggesting that a payee has put some money into your account but needs you to log into your account.

What happens next...you can guess for yourself!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T SCAM WARNING

Postby campdave » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:06 pm

I get about a hundred scams in my email inbox everyday, but I don't need to post them all on here.
campdave

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:10 pm

campdave wrote:I get about a hundred scams in my email inbox everyday, but I don't need to post them all on here.

You could do a daily scam digest?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby John L » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Christies Child wrote:Anybody who uses PayPal be warned that a new scam is out and about suggesting that a payee has put some money into your account but needs you to log into your account.

What happens next...you can guess for yourself!

It isn't new, Neil, it's ages old. The simple thing to remember is that PayPal always address their e-mails to account holders by name, whereas the spam messages obviously don't. ;)
John L

Postby ezz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:40 pm

campdave wrote:I get about a hundred scams in my email inbox everyday, but I don't need to post them all on here.

At least CC is being helpful about telling us what not to do.....your just a bitter old forum hag.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Child » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:18 pm

That's the last time I'm going to warn fellow SVs

Nice one campdave!

:( :( :(
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Mark S » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:25 pm

Nice one campdave! :D

Only kidding CC! ;)
Mark S

Postby Mr Munnings » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 pm

I'd be worried if it was an SVer putting money into my paypal account though :?
Mr Munnings

Re: O/T Scam Warning

Postby Phoenix » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:09 am

I'm with campdave on this one. You'll find plenty of warnings from me amongst others in the past that you will never be asked to confirm your details by a genuine company and that no one will give you money for nothing. My own bank, Smile, even repeat the warning on their login screen.

If new scams were to be posted on the forum you'd struggle to find football items. Since 7pm last night my mailbox contains at least 1 phishing email from each of ebay, paypal, Lloyds, Barclays and Smile. All look quite genuine and the link takes you to a credible site but they all have one thing in common, they ask me to confirm my details. None of the genuine companies would ask that.

And now some useful advice;

With a lot of email readers, if you hover the mouse over a link in the email it will tell you what the actual link is. If you check the link between the http:// and the first /, reading backwards from the / you should, for example ebay, see ebay.com/. If it's a fake you'll probably find something like ebay.com.fakesite.getyourmoney.com/

If you really aren't sure whether an email is genuine, let's say you get a message from Barclays and you have a Barclays account. Don't click the link in the email. Use your browser to go to your usual Barclays address, login as normal and see if they've left you a message.
Phoenix

Postby Sammy h » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:05 pm

You agree with Campdave on this one yet waffle on about other scams?
Sammy h

Postby Phoenix » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:33 am

Aren't we being a bit picky sammy h? I didn't start a new thread and I tried to give some helpful advice. I won't bother next time, OK?
Phoenix

Postby Aspers » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:22 am

NEVER Never give any information out on the Internet, it is not private.
Only give out info you don't mind people having.

My phone number is 8323 6666
Aspers

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:26 am

An alternative view of course is, when the title to the thread says "O/T Scam Warning", people who don't need warning, simply don't read it? Personally, I think that 99.99% of people who use this forum are experienced enough to not fall for any scams, there may be that one in ten-thousand who have only recently gone on the internet and aren't aware. For that person, you really haven't won a lottery that you didn't enter and that god fearing person who trusts you to help them by banking $50,000,000 is actually hoping to get your life savings, not give you $10,000,000.

Finally, a good rule of thumb is that your bank will never ask for your password and don't give any details out that you don't want the whole world to know. Oh, and I think Aspers phone is faulty because when I tried it an Asian sounding lady suggested she would love me long time and started to tell me "prices by the hour"...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Aspers » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:30 am

Oh, and I think Aspers phone is faulty because when I tried it an Asian sounding lady suggested she would love me long time and started to tell me "prices by the hour"...

That would be the maid ;)
Aspers

Postby Phoenix » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:40 pm

That would be the maid

I tried the number and got someone calling themselves Elaine :o
Phoenix

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Phoenix wrote:
That would be the maid

I tried the number and got someone calling themselves Elaine :o

That's what Aspers calls himself every Thursday :lol:

Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion