Was JH right?

Was JH right?

Postby Ned » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:59 am

At a MFC fans forum Jimmy Harvey once said that there was a not a lot of difference in standard between the majority of players in league 2 and those in the top half of the conference. The real difference in the teams was down to the few quality players in each team.
He went on to say the top teams usually have 3 or 4 with those in the chasing pack a min of 2 and those further down with 1. A team with no quality players is in a no win situation. I suppose you could define quality as a match winner in which case perhaps on this occasion Jim was right as MFC do not have any quality players.
Ned

Re: Was JH right?

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:21 am

A bit harsh NN on players like Jim Bentley; Michael Twiss; Stewart Drummond and Craig Stanley of the current CONTRACTED players. They have proven their quality over the seasons. Maybe it's the system (or lack of?) that's at fault.

It's often said that Attack is the best form of Defence.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby baldrick » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:33 pm

I think we should of kept harvey.

Look at the players he brought through the ranks thommo, curtis, perks, drummond, hunter and many more. Plus it was his team who got us promoted and now its been dismantled. I like sammy and should give him more time but who has been good signings stanley and blinkhorn the rest are average. Hes brought alot of players in this season and none have impressed me.
baldrick

Postby Jody » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:36 pm

But he managed to get us into the Football League, something Harvey tried and failed to do on a number of attempts. I know which manager I'd rather, and where I'd rather watch my team play football. We are a more stable team now, yes we aren't winning every game, but we aren't going 3-0 up and going on to lose games either.
Jody

Postby baldrick » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:42 pm

i read your other post Jody which was probably spot on.
I thought harvey was a good coach and had a good eye for a player but maybe he lacked what sammy has which is a good motivator.
A few years before sammy came to morecambe i was wanting harvey and sammy both managing morecambe together like at ireland that would of made a good team. Maybe Harvey could come back to morecambe as a director of football with sammy and mark doing what they do now. if they can sort out their differences?
baldrick

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:11 pm

baldrick wrote:I think we should of kept harvey.

Look at the players he brought through the ranks thommo, curtis, perks, drummond, hunter and many more. Plus it was his team who got us promoted and now its been dismantled. I like sammy and should give him more time but who has been good signings stanley and blinkhorn the rest are average. Hes brought alot of players in this season and none have impressed me.

I think that is a bit harsh.

Barry Roche looks like the nearest thing we will get to having Joe Lewis.

Andy Parrish is only 20 and can develop into a good full back.

Neil Wainwright is a good player but MUST start the games and not be a sub.

Rene Howe again if he gets good service is one of the best strikers in league 2.

Other Sammy signings such as Craig Stanley , Dave Artell etc are league 2 standard.

I don't believe Sammy has signed any of the Turkeys that Jim Harvey signed such as Chris Lightfoot , Kelly , O'Connor and Ruffer who all came here on astronomical wages (at the time) and hardly played any meaningful games. Also remember that keeper Jim signed from Scarborough who couldn't catch the ball !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby ezz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Were just going to have to be patient for youth players to come through and hopefully attract some bargain freebie's because were not the club nor ever have been to atrract and pay for big players, but we do offer the prospect of football league football so we should in my opinion be looking at the quality in conference players, young not big headed and will not want a hugh pay check. Along with looking to loan young promising players from bigger clubs this is what Sammy is doing at the moment but the signings just arn't paying off yet
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:54 pm

just looking at youth and pace issues discussed on the board

gillinghams key players yesterday

Andy Barcham 21
Barry Fuller 24
Simeon Jackson 21
Curtis Weston 21
Gary Mulligan 23

yet they had nicky southall 36 mark mccammon 30 mark bentley 30 John Nutter 27 and keeper simon royce 37

the pace came from the youngsters in the key areas upfront and midfield

The key players for us who come out with some credit yesterday
Aaron Taylor 18 id start him saturday
Andy Parrish 20 continues to improve
Barry Roche 23 motm and not a plodder as some would described he kept it to 5
Rene Howe 22 needs a strike partner worked hard
Neil Wainwright 30 good attacks on the flank should start

back to the drawing board tomorrow and lets hope we can get it right for Rochdale........

noone got hurt yesterday
noone died some of us lost money(daft £25 bet on us to win from our lot that will teach us lol) it was only a football match after all lets keep the humour on here intact
Shrimpsscene

Postby badger » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:01 pm

is that right shrimpsscene, we got beat five nill and barry roche was motm,how depresing.
what could the score have been if it wasent for roche.
badger

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Negative Ned wrote:At a MFC fans forum Jimmy Harvey once said that there was a not a lot of difference in standard between the majority of players in league 2 and those in the top half of the conference. The real difference in the teams was down to the few quality players in each team.
He went on to say the top teams usually have 3 or 4 with those in the chasing pack a min of 2 and those further down with 1. A team with no quality players is in a no win situation. I suppose you could define quality as a match winner in which case perhaps on this occasion Jim was right as MFC do not have any quality players.

seems jim has enough problems........ 1 point in last 18 available and seven defeats in 9
attendances well down at the lawn too
think theyve got problems there

theres a distinction between quality players and match winners
i do believe we have some quality players here but we lost our only real match winner in Garry Thompson and havent replaced him although I believe Neil Wainwright is a quality player
Rene Howe Diarmuid and Aaron could yet to prove to be matchwinners given time
Shrimpsscene

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:04 pm

badger wrote:is that right shrimpsscene, we got beat five nill and barry roche was motm,how depresing.

could have been double figures
Shrimpsscene

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:09 pm

badger wrote:is that right shrimpsscene, we got beat five nill and barry roche was motm,how depresing.

I didn't get to Gillingham but Barry Roche was MOTM at Chester without a doubt.

A save in the last minute from Ellison to get us to pens and then 3 great penalty saves.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:24 pm

so there you go Barry was a match winner Tuesday add him to the list!!
Shrimpsscene

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Double figures by all accounts.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion