North West Tonight

North West Tonight

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:53 pm

(or Granada if you're MarkS! :roll: )

"have the fans fallen out with Morecambe" "some of the fans have turned on the players and manager"...

Hasn't this been blown out of all proportion? Two or three people were vocal enough to be heard on the pitch. Certainly, the North Stand were pretty loud considering there wasn't a huge amount happening on the pitch!

Add to that, attendances were always likely to drop after the first season, when away fans aren't visiting a new ground, a 'credit crunch' and huge increases in petrol etc, surely we should be putting out positive messages not focussing upon a significant minority? It was bad enough that it dominated this forum for too long, let alone making it on to the BBC local news, who incidentally, didn't interview anyone who had anything negative to say!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: North West Tonight

Postby Mark S » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:42 pm

Typical BBC. 'News' that is three weeks late.

Should I have a word with my mate Tony? :D
Mark S

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Mark S wrote:Typical BBC. 'News' that is three weeks late.

Should I have a word with my mate Tony? :D

I've got his e-mail address if you need it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Shrimpsscene » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:49 pm

what did he say exactly Keith?
Shrimpsscene

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:17 pm

Rather than risk me misquoting, watch it now...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northwesttonight/l ... ndex.shtml

Then click "See the latest programme in full"

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Shrimpsscene » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm with Margaret from Atkinsons Chippy
"We'll turn it round"!!!!
disappointing when this sort of thing is getting reported but to be fair there were positive comments from all the supporters interviewed and Rod too
a winning team will help but lets be honest these are tough times everywhere at the moment
unless youre rich billionaires trying to recruit players at £200k a week...obscene..........rochdale should bring a good crowd next week and with a good win tomorrow and a home drawin the jpt things should look a little brighter
im still getting over seeing yozzer in full cry at the back of the north stand :lol: :lol:
Shrimpsscene

Postby Mark S » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:15 pm

I am absolutely gob smacked at that. What a hatchet job. I cannot believe that the four or five idiots that shouted abuse have led to that.

I am utterly speechless. What are they basing the lack of attendance on? Some factors to consider.

A - we havent played any of our 'Big' local rivals yet that traditionally bring a big crowd and bump up the average attendance.

B - We are in the grip of a national (some - me- might say media induced) panic over the economy and personal spending

C - The price of fuel has gone up 30% in the last 12 months and has an effect on long distance travelling

D - The first year of Football League is always going to be a peak of local interest (We have been on a downward curve after Barnet at home).

E - Stockport, MK Dons, Peterbrough, Wrexham & Hereford all brought decent away numbers last season to boost attendance numbers. Gillingham, Luton, Bournemouth, Aldershot and Exeter are hardly likely to match that.

A decent cup run and one or two wins and we are right back at last years average.

There is no story here. At least not a story that is worthy of Regional TV. I wonder if the club knew what kind of slant this was going to take.

Forget 'negative' Shrimpsvoices and its negligible effect, this is TV to a big audience and it makes us look small and stupid. All very well going into the streets and speaking to locals. If they wanted to get a balanced view after talking about fans getting on the clubs back, why didnt they speak to fans who are behind the club instead of random folk and an old dear in the chippy? (apologies if she is a season ticket holder, but I doubt it)

Feck me, I am pissed off about this.

I cant help but wonder if the e mail I sent and Keiths subsequent e mail to Tony Livesey linking this message board ( and he has had a nosey around) has triggered this. If it has then shame on The BBC for its gleeful approach at Journalism. You only have to look at the Granada 'Accrington Stanley - exactly' programme to look towards a club in chaos. We have a great Club, A great set of fans and a great future. We beat preston and Wolves last season and got to the Northern final of the LDV Trophy. We are having a good run again after beating Oldham and Chester in recent games. Why not run with that? Too easy and not newsworthy. Thats why.

Sod 'em!
Mark S

Postby Shrimpsscene » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:35 pm

On the other side of the coin there wouldnt be a worthy story over a 7 match unbeaten run our best in our second season to be honest
all the local media have covered this overblown news story which personally i think is more detrimental

to be honest look north west at that time of night is a small filler and i think Tony Livesey hasnt done that to knock the club in any way its publicity that were still here and might serve a reminder to some to come down and give us some support

I would think Tony feels the disappointment many of us have that a small minority can throw it back in the face of the manager and the team
hes done some very positive things about the club and the town in the last couple of years.

Tony works for lancs and will talk to the sports team im sure so he may have picked it up from there i wouldnt think hes going to spend too much time on here
the attendances down is more to do with the state of the local/national economy and to a degree the performances on the pitch

I wouldnt get too upset about it mark if we wanted to get the gates up perhaps again we should offer season ticket holders some free tickets for a couple of matches to entice people back or buy one you get one free....just a thought and i know this has been well covered

I wouldnt blame this forum for that piece on the tv tonight

hope you can make gillingham

must get to bed :D
Shrimpsscene

Postby Mark S » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Agreed Sean. You must get to bed! :lol: ;)
Mark S

Postby Shrimpsscene » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Mark S wrote:Agreed Sean. You must get to bed! :lol: ;)

:lol: :lol:

night night then
Shrimpsscene

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:56 pm

In my limited experience, regional radio and tv stations seem to have decided what angle the story, or filler item they are going put out, means they will just tailor whoever they speak to to fit their script, ie we are now down to a paltry 1700 fans and have a huge number (6 or so) detractors, BURN THE WITCH, sounds better than, local team unbeaten in seven games, another cup win and 2 league wins puts things in an altogether different perspective, marks comments seem on the button,
alot of people around here are very wary of their futures jobwise at the moment and scaremongers like the tv are contributing towards this in my opinion!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby CASS » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Filler item it was,you can bet your life if the Prem and L1 had been playing we would not have seen the clip. Problem is now all we are going to hear from fans of other teams is "Morecambe are f!$£&d" I was expecting a post or two from those six fingered cretins from over the Pennines by now.You might be able to put a bit of spin on the story, but you cannot get away from the fact that the story has done us no favours at all.What is ironical for me is the fact that I have allways poured scorne on the BBC in the north west for not giving us enough coverage,Radio in particular has never blown my skirt up,yet here we are 3 min's on the telly and it's the next best thing to an obituatry.
If there was ever a reason to sing and cheer V Rochdale, It's that report
If there was ever a reason for the Sunday papers to report
MORECAMBE V ROCHDALE
Att 3.000
It's that report.
The root cause of this story without doubt started on here, which reminded me of a wartime poster.
not that I am in anyway against anyone saying what they feel they have to, but things do get miss represented as the story gets passed on.
Anyway BBC North West and Tony Livsey get my seal of dissapproval.
And yes I have had a Drink. So feckin what !!
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:24 pm

CASS wrote:Filler item it was,you can bet your life if the Prem and L1 had been playing we would not have seen the clip. Problem is now all we are going to hear from fans of other teams is "Morecambe are f!$£&d" I was expecting a post or two from those six fingered cretins from over the Pennines by now.You might be able to put a bit of spin on the story, but you cannot get away from the fact that the story has done us no favours at all.What is ironical for me is the fact that I have allways poured scorne on the BBC in the north west for not giving us enough coverage,Radio in particular has never blown my skirt up,yet here we are 3 min's on the telly and it's the next best thing to an obituatry.
If there was ever a reason to sing and cheer V Rochdale, It's that report
If there was ever a reason for the Sunday papers to report
MORECAMBE V ROCHDALE
Att 3.000
It's that report.
The root cause of this story without doubt started on here, which reminded me of a wartime poster.
not that I am in anyway against anyone saying what they feel they have to, but things do get miss represented as the story gets passed on.
Anyway BBC North West and Tony Livsey get my seal of dissapproval.
And yes I have had a Drink. So feckin what !!

Good lad! :lol:

Feel free to rant a bit more before bed! :lol:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby CASS » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:50 pm

Ok...Despite Quinny's and others best efforts we are the poor relations when it comes to Radio coverage,and for the BBC tv (same company different tossers) to use some negative blown up story to fill the gap normally reserved for the Pre maddona League has really pissed me off.
Well from now on Gordon just for men Burns and the "Colgate" crew can piss off.
I am watching "Border News" from now on. That is until those greedy twats at ITV do away with
it and force Tyne Tees down our necks.( "Dance to yer Daddy my little lassy") and when that
happens.I guess there is always the Sausage. :D
"Bed".Yelled the catering Manager "Yes Sir" said the drunk
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:11 am

CASS wrote:Ok...Despite Quinny's and others best efforts we are the poor relations when it comes to Radio coverage,and for the BBC tv (same company different tossers) to use some negative blown up story to fill the gap normally reserved for the Pre maddona League has really pissed me off.
Well from now on Gordon just for men Burns and the "Colgate" crew can piss off.
I am watching "Border News" from now on. That is until those greedy twats at ITV do away with
it and force Tyne Tees down our necks.( "Dance to yer Daddy my little lassy") and when that
happens.I guess there is always the Sausage. :D
"Bed".Yelled the catering Manager "Yes Sir" said the drunk

now you see, that's what we expect from those who've arrived home from an evening of drinking! Well done Cass! 'See' you in the chatroom this afternoon!

Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion