Right Back?

Right Back?

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Was just wondering do any of you think we need a new right back?

I would like to see us play with two traditional fullbacks attacking ones at that to give us that extra width and pace.

I know we have Parish, Haining and even Scott and Cowperthwaite who can play there so Jim might not see it as a priority and want to spend his budget elsewhere.
For me although Parish is sound enough defensivley at RB the problem is when he gets forward his distribution isn't as good as what a more traditional full back might be so we don't have much of an attacking threat and the same would probably be the same for Haining and Scot.
Maybe the idea might be to develop Cowperthwaite into a right back in the future but I can't see him in the starting line up at the moment.

It's just a shame we can't clone Wilson if he signs.

For me I would like to see Parish at CB with Haining or McCready.
It would be a bit harsh to drop McCready as I don't think the lad did much wrong last season so do we find a way to accomadate all three across the back? or do we stick to playing players in what we feel are their best positions, but then we could debate what their best positions are all day.

Jim has got some tough decissions to make but it's not a bad dilema to have.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Re: Right Back?

Postby Harry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 pm

IMO you can't play 4-4-2 with two wingbacks, it would leave us too light in the middle when defending a break. For me, the Wilson/McCready/Parrish/Haining (in that order) lineup is a solid base to build on, provided the front 6 have a "defend from the front" mentality that we have previously been lacking.
Harry

Postby George Dawes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 pm

i have a feeling Jimbo will see Haining as his main defender and play him at center-back with McCready and will probably play Parrish or Cowps in the right-back slot
Last edited by George Dawes on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George Dawes

Postby Now_Then » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:09 pm

In the Q&A evening, Jimbo mentioned the chelsea formation that jose implemented and which brought success. That system needs a defensive midfielder that just wins the ball back and passes it on to a more creative player. As one of the greatest ever called it, "a water carrier". I can see Will Haining being played in that sort of role. He isnt mobile enough to be played in a centre back partnership but has all the qualities and experience to be the teams holding player! All we need to do now is find a league 2 version of didier drogba!
Now_Then

Postby George Dawes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Now_Then wrote:In the Q&A evening, Jimbo mentioned the chelsea formation that jose implemented and which brought success. That system needs a defensive midfielder that just wins the ball back and passes it on to a more creative player. As one of the greatest ever called it, "a water carrier". I can see Will Haining being played in that sort of role. He isnt mobile enough to be played in a centre back partnership but has all the qualities and experience to be the teams holding player! All we need to do now is find a league 2 version of didier drogba!

funny how people see things different, i think a fully fit Will Haining is timing(tackling) and reading of the game for a center-back is outstanding for L2 level
George Dawes

Postby The Marksman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:27 am

Although I think Parrish is a fine centre back, I actually think he's better as a right back, even if his attacking attributes aren't quite there. I'm not sure he's strong or dominant enough for CB, but he has enough pace to stop most wingers.

I'd play Parrish, Haining, McCready, Wilson in that order. I certainly don't think that getting a new RB is a priority given the options you already listed...
The Marksman

Postby Ntini » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:09 am

The Marksman wrote:Although I think Parrish is a fine centre back, I actually think he's better as a right back, even if his attacking attributes aren't quite there. I'm not sure he's strong or dominant enough for CB, but he has enough pace to stop most wingers.

I'd play Parrish, Haining, McCready, Wilson in that order. I certainly don't think that getting a new RB is a priority given the options you already listed...

Completely agree with what you're saying there. I think Bambi's much better at RB than in the middle. Haining and McCready just have more about them to hopefully not get bullied by the bigger forwards in this league.

Haining, McCready, Parrish, Cowperthwaite, Chranock, Scott and Bentley. That's who we've got. If we get Wilson as well (which I hope we do) then that's surely the defence sorted if we're cutting down the squad?
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby George Dawes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:25 am

Ntini wrote:
The Marksman wrote:Although I think Parrish is a fine centre back, I actually think he's better as a right back, even if his attacking attributes aren't quite there. I'm not sure he's strong or dominant enough for CB, but he has enough pace to stop most wingers.

Completely agree with what you're saying there. I think Bambi's much better at RB than in the middle. Haining and McCready just have more about them to hopefully not get bullied by the bigger forwards in this league.

Haining, McCready, Parrish, Cowperthwaite, Chranock, Scott and Bentley. That's who we've got. If we get Wilson as well (which I hope we do) then that's surely the defence sorted if we're cutting down the squad?

plus on top of that we have in a short term emergency Hunter who can revert to right-back and Drummond to central defence its all about flexibility and avoiding unnecessary spending and being shrewd with transfer dealings
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:38 am

Following our poor defensive record of the past few seasons i would have thought that this area would have needed some new bodies rather than stick with what we've got.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:41 am

Christies Child wrote:Following our poor defensive record of the past few seasons i would have thought that this area would have needed some new bodies rather than stick with what we've got.

Booo!! They will be fine now that they are in a happy, working environment :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby George Dawes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 am

Christies Child wrote:Following our poor defensive record of the past few seasons i would have thought that this area would have needed some new bodies rather than stick with what we've got.

dont worry! will be to busy looking good(going for it) 8-)
George Dawes

Postby Ntini » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:02 pm

I don't wholly agree with that. Yes, the defence has made mistakes this season, but I think that the midfield were poor, especially since we lost Duffy. Sammy kept changing them around, be it Hurst, Brown or Shuker. One week they'd be playing on the right, the next on the left, and the next they'd be on the bench. When you end up playing two defenders in there, I think it shows where we lacked quality.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:24 pm

The defence was poor. Midfield has to take some of the blame, but too often lack of marking and allowing too much space resulted in the opposition being in the position of having a crack at goal.

Lack of concentration...?Too slow to react...? Call it what you want but there's no getting away from the fact that defensively last season we were poor. Hence my thinking that Jimbo needs either some new blood or better organisation.

Maybe a defensive midfielder ie Scotty is the answer.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Posh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Sorry. I completely disagree. Andy Parrish is an outstanding centre back. Clayton Donaldson was the top scorer in the our league last year yet, until he got injured, he had Donaldson in his pocket. He did the same to others, has covered a few times for Charnock and is the best centre back we have. Wasted at right back where his height his wasted.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby james456 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 pm

As others have said, we have 8 defenders at the club plus others capable of playing at the back when needed. Individually, I'd say they're all good enough too. Get the midfield right and focus on instilling a "defend from the front" mentality. Then we'll be fine. :)
james456

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Christies Child wrote:Maybe a defensive midfielder ie Scotty is the answer.

Yes, maybe he could just beam the strikers up to the stands
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:39 pm

Posh wrote:

Sorry. I completely disagree. Andy Parrish is an outstanding centre back. Clayton Donaldson was the top scorer in the our league last year yet, until he got injured, he had Donaldson in his pocket. He did the same to others, has covered a few times for Charnock and is the best centre back we have. Wasted at right back where his height his wasted.

Sorry Mike but i completely agree . this season the defence has got to be built round AP as centre back , because he played so well in all the positions he was played in last season its difficult for people to remember which was his best . But as you said . nearly every game he played at CB he had control of the striker. And if Haining recovers the form of season before last , then Jimbo is going to have some tough decisions to make.
parceldave

Return to General Discussion