Welcome to Priestfield

Welcome to Priestfield

Postby Triggers broom » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:37 am

Having looked at another thread here which then links to football forums I thought I might bring it up to date a bit.

Firstly the away pub. The Livvy has changed hands this season. It is still regarded as the 'away pub' though you will of course find Gills in there as well pre-game. Contrary to the other thread, the police are not eager to shut the pub down on match days. It is of course handy for them to know where the main bulk of the away drinkers are and if the weather's decent and fans are drinking outside they (the police) will happily hang around and have a chat with you. The old landlady Michelle used to put spuds and sausuges (sp?) on the bar but i'm not sure if the new guv'nor still does this as I get in at about 2:15 by which time it had all gone anyway. They always have plenty of staff on pre-match so even if the pub is busy you won't wait long. The bar ceiling used to be covered in shirts, some Gills, but mostly oppo, which had been donated by pissed up away fans in celebration of a victory at Priestfield (there were quite a lot). In fairness most of the shirts were yellowed with fag smoke and the new folk have redecorated. There are 4-5 tellys dotted around showing the early prem game. The pub is just 200 yards from the away turnstiles. There is one chippy across the road and another chippy come kebabby between the away end and the pub. The chippys are geared up for match days and if there is a dozen people queuing out the door, you'll still get your pie within 3-4 minutes.

Away End

It is a temporary affair the like of which you see on the 18 green at the Open. According to any visiting fans forum it will apparently fall down if you fart. It has been in place for at least 3 seasons and has yet to fall down. In this time it's highly probable that many fans have farted, especially Swindon who are very tatty folk. As of this season you no longer have to share this stand with home fans. They have been moved elsewhere (unfortunately). Those who enjoy spending 90 minutes gurnning at oppo fans and giving the winker sign (you know who you are) now have to do it over the length of the pitch. In the away case your closest oppo fans are in the corner to your left, but it is the family stand so apart from the odd throwback you may experience little resistance.
As reported there is no roof. Today it's sunny here, yesterday it was pissing down, Saturday? who knows. If it does rain the cabin attendants (or whatever we call the arseholes now) will wander along the front hurling the 'rain-macs' amongst you. These are of questionable quality and there is currently no known scientific instrument in existence that can measure material so thin. If it is raining and a bit windy, please bear with us as marvel at your vain attempts to put these body johnnys on. Such is the piss poor quality of the football of late, it is generally the highlight of the day watching you lot struggling like a bunch of demented chimps only to emerge with something resembling a cling-film scarf flapping in the breeze. Adults should make a hash of their own rain macs before assiting children to make a hash of theirs.

Opposite you is the Rainham End Stand. Traditionally the singers and the shouters. However, at the moment, we just can't be bothered.

Singing. Please do, but try not to spark up suddenly as this may startle the old folk in the Gordon Road Stand to your right and they might knock their flask off their blankets.
If you're struggling (as we are at the moment) for singing inspiration, then the staples are generally, "You live in a caravan", "you're just a bunch of pikeys", "the wheels on your house go round and round". If it helps we will feign surprise at your originality and clap you with the utmost sincerity. We may respond with something about "dirty Northern barstewards" or some witty "sea-side ditty" but frankly creativity is at an all time low.

Admission.
Too much. Same for us.

Enjoy the game. Safe trip down and up.
Triggers broom

Re: Welcome to Priestfield

Postby shrimper » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:49 am

Cracking post, mate. That's the spirit we like. Thanks for the info about the 'away' pub. Nice to know that it's not exclusive. We've never gone for the 'aggro' route so always appreciate a beer and a craic with the home fans wherever we go.

Sadly I won't be able to make it Saturday as I have a 'do' on Sat night but rest assured those who do make the trip will give it loads in the ground.

I reckon 'You're French and you know you are!' will get an airing at some point.

Cheers Triggers
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 pm

I reckon 'You're French and you know you are!'

I'd better not sing that one Glen :lol: :lol:
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Mark S » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:26 pm

Quality post. :D

Do you have Northern roots?

Triggers Broom wrote:Those who enjoy spending 90 minutes gurnning at oppo fans and giving the winker sign (you know who you are) now have to do it over the length of the pitch.

I just spit my tea down my shirt at that! :lol:

Nice one! There will only be good natured banter from our lot. They are a good bunch.

For £22 I would expect an umbrella and someone to hold it, if it rains!
Mark S

Postby Triggers broom » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:44 pm

'You're French and you know you are!'

That's quite good.

In a word yes.

Here's a link to the pub. Bear in mind that it was from Michelle's time. Also info about parking just across the road from the ground at the Sikh temple. That's not a pub name by the way.

http://www.gillinghamfc.co.uk/Livvywelcome.htm
Triggers broom

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:57 pm

Mark S wrote:Quality post. :D

Triggers Broom wrote:Those who enjoy spending 90 minutes gurnning at oppo fans and giving the winker sign (you know who you are) now have to do it over the length of the pitch.

Nice one! There will only be good natured banter from our lot. They are a good bunch.

Not if you buy your ticket in advance at our club shop, I've just paid £17 for mine.

Still too much for an uncovered "stand" (no doubt we'll have to sit in this "stand" :? )
morecambe mick

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:04 am

morecambe mick wrote:
Mark S wrote:Quality post. :D

Not if you buy your ticket in advance at our club shop, I've just paid £17 for mine.

Still too much for an uncovered "stand" (no doubt we'll have to sit in this "stand" :? )

Glad you got your tickets Mick -we can now spend our fivers on something else :lol:
I heard of your early start for Saturday morning I think we won't be far behind you so keep looking over your shoulder :o

Agreed great post but I still cant get a reply from the Livingstone Arms :x

Has Trigger got a phone number by any chance as the one on the website does'nt work :?:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Triggers broom » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 am

Marky

I see what you mean about that phone number. No idea why it's not working but rest assured the pub is very much open. I stumbled upon this google map thingy http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=380439&t=k&om=1 which shows the pub on the corner, chippy directly opposite on the mini roundabout, the Sikh Temple and car park just North by about 50 yds (you can see the open entrance gate between the silver and red car). To get to the ground come out of the pub and turn right, on the corner of the first road to the right is the chippy/kebbaby, the second road on the right just past the white transit van leads to the away end and turnstiles.
Triggers broom

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Thanks for that Trig. I was hoping to pre organise a bit of a do with them before the game but alas it looks like we won't be having bubbly unless they keep it in stock :lol: dont suppose they will let us drink our own? Will have to do with beer, lager, cider, pork scratchings and our own balloons and crackers! Aiming to be there for 1pm anyway. Wont be near a p.c. from now till then so won't reply. Cheers ;)
marky No.1

Postby Triggers broom » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:59 pm

"...unless they keep bubbly in stock" :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys :lol: :lol: :lol:
Triggers broom

Postby Triggers broom » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:03 pm

So did they have any Champers on tap?

Hopefully you had enough booze pre-match to dull the senses.

Know the feeling. 4 weeks ago, stuffed 7-0 at Shrewsbury, last week 3-0 at Exeter.

2nd Worst team to play at Priestfield this season? Port Vale (we scraped it 1-0). Saturday they beat Shrewsbury away.

Funny old game.
Triggers broom

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Hiya sorry its been a longggg weekend :cry:
Yes I wish to publically thank Mark the Landlord at the Livingstone Arms. He decorated the walls with birthday banners and balloons, yes he supplied us with the bubbly and a cake complete with candles. He even went out of his way to get the birthday girl flowers - she was reduced to tears at one point :o
Talking about tears this pic summed it up for me and this was only half time!
peter2s.JPG

We then presented the landlord with a M.F.C. shirt for his ceiling. All in all a great day out in the sunshine on the "kerplunk" stand. We were determined not to let the football spoil our day 8-)
gills7handover.JPG

gills4shirts.JPG

Thanks to all the MFC for joining in, i'm just glad we celebrated before the match :lol:
marky No.1

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:39 pm

,,,,,Even found this one in the back room :shock:
gills9carlisle.JPG
marky No.1

Postby Triggers broom » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:04 pm

Delighted to hear you had a good day (apart from the football).

A few years ago the Grauniad did a piece about the 10 worst away grounds. We come top (or bottom). Worst away ground in the whole Football League. Whilst this piece was inevitably followed up by a fair degree of gloating from the usual suspects (Swindon, Millwall, Charlton) we were surprised to receive lots of support from all over the country. The article seemed to concentrate not on the football but on the surounding area, which frankly is a Khazi. Many oppo fans came onto the boards to say how much they enjoyed their trips to Gillingham and how it was on their 'awayday' list.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/10/newsstory.sport2
Triggers broom

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Yeah we had a great time down there. I will agree with the roughness of the area but as that write up says - "its not the football clubs fault". Those back alleys through the terraced houses near the ground had to be seen to be believed (no offence intended) - it made our "barbary coast" look quite respectable. We found the people very friendly and managed to stay over near Rochester, had an enjoyable meal and sat near a couple of lads who are programme sellers and they could'nt believe they scored 5 in one game! They wanted to be away from the town centre before it went dark :o

Anyway thanks for the good luck wishes - reading some of the stuff on here at the moment it looks like we may need every bit we can get ;)
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion