O/T Man Utd outclassed

O/T Man Utd outclassed

Postby Christies Child » Sat May 28, 2011 9:45 pm

No question about it but my 'second' team have been outclassed in tonights Champion League Final.

I can't think of any team in the Premiership who would have done any better and it shows how successful playing it on the deck with short passes to feet can be.

I'm not expecting anything like that in terms of quality and skill from our lads this coming season, but if we can play it on the deck for sustain periods in a game we know that we can outclass many if not most other teams in our Division.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Man Utd outclassed

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sat May 28, 2011 9:59 pm

There was one moment tonight when Barca had a free kick outside the box.
Most teams either a) have a shot at goal or b) pump it into the box hoping that someone gets a head on it.
They simply played it along the ground at an angle to a player who then flicked it across and they nearly scored. I often think even teams at our level could try different things at free kicks instead of the predictable.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Christies Child » Sat May 28, 2011 10:04 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:There was one moment tonight when Barca had a free kick outside the box.
Most teams either a) have a shot at goal or b) pump it into the box hoping that someone gets a head on it.
They simply played it along the ground at an angle to a player who then flicked it across and they nearly scored. I often think even teams at our level could try different things at free kicks instead of the predictable.

I upset quite a few people in Block C :twisted: when I asked for more variation in our corner routine a few games ago. Same applies to our previous free kick routine.

Jimbo has said that this will be addressed this pre-season.
Christies Child

Postby black morse » Sat May 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Christies Child wrote:No question about it but my 'second' team have been outclassed in tonights Champion League Final.

I can't think of any team in the Premiership who would have done any better and it shows how successful playing it on the deck with short passes to feet can be.

I'm not expecting anything like that in terms of quality and skill from our lads this coming season, but if we can play it on the deck for sustain periods in a game we know that we can outclass many if not most other teams in our Division.

Certainly agree with this...Barca were awesome in accuracy and speed of passing. All their forwards were prepared to take a man on and they showed how effective taking the game to the opposition is....points that our team could take on board, albeit to a much lesser degree.
black morse

Postby Caged Lion » Sat May 28, 2011 10:41 pm

black morse wrote:
Christies Child wrote:I'm not expecting anything like that in terms of quality and skill from our lads this coming season, but if we can play it on the deck for sustain periods in a game we know that we can outclass many if not most other teams in our Division.

Got to agree with you here CC. Tonight Barca had only one 'proper' defender in Pique. Against the best team in England that is outrageous. I hope Jimbo does try to play it on the deck, however, his personal style was often to hump it high and wide?

black morse wrote:Certainly agree with this...Barca were awesome in accuracy and speed of passing. All their forwards were prepared to take a man on and they showed how effective taking the game to the opposition is....points that our team could take on board, albeit to a much lesser degree.

They play the same way throughout every game, even when behind. They draw the oppo in and pass it, of course their players do run into space to receive a pass and most have come through their academy knowing only this way of playing. I have seen every game that Messi has played for Barca (thanks to Sky) and it was obvious right from the first game that he was going to be a star, amazingly he just gets better. Other players like Xavi, Inniesta, Busquets and Pedro are integral to their success, talented young players are introduced all the time. Incredible. It must be rewarding to have such a successful youth policy.
Caged Lion

Postby marky No.1 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:13 am

Errrrr yes BUT this is Champions League, we are League 2. Maybe same principles but ffs get real.

Sexy football at its best
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby black morse » Sun May 29, 2011 6:12 am

marky No.1 wrote:Errrrr yes BUT this is Champions League, we are League 2. Maybe same principles but ffs get real.

I did say to a much lesser degree! As you say...same principles, that's all I was trying to say. How often last season did we take the lead only to sit back and take the pressureoff the opposition?
black morse

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 29, 2011 7:42 am

Barcelona are the best team in the world, rammed full of the best players in the world, saying that we could copy them in some kind of diluted fashion with lesser mortals is funny.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby black morse » Sun May 29, 2011 7:56 am

mrpotatohead wrote:Barcelona are the best team in the world, rammed full of the best players in the world, saying that we could copy them in some kind of diluted fashion with lesser mortals is funny.

Sorry but I did not say that. I said there were two points we could (and should where possible) take on board. We shouldn't be afraid to take men on and we should try to keep the pressure on the other team. I think that is true through all levels of the game. If I gave the impression I expected us to play like Barcelona I apologise. I agree that they are the bestteam in the world.
black morse

Postby marky » Sun May 29, 2011 8:28 am

Spain are a national football team and won the world cup by playing 4-2-3-1. John Coleman saw that and got his team to the play offs. Classic example of how to translate a formation and style of play at the highest level and get success with it at a much lower level.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 29, 2011 8:40 am

it was a good showpiece there football is out of this world i dont think i have ever seen a team pass a ball like that around with such speed.

i was arguing with a most of the pub with the Messi or Maradona talk and for me its Maradona he was kicked to bits back in the day when defenders could tackle without getting booked and tackle two footed studs showing etc if he was playing now in todays game with the protection Messi gets he would have been even better.

what he did in Mexico 86 taking his country to world cup glory with players at that time(apart from Valdano who was playing for Real Madrid at the time) you had never heard of

but i suppose the bottom line is you shouldn't compare past & present
George Dawes

Postby Morectalk » Sun May 29, 2011 9:34 am

Very much enjoyed seeing United killed, buried, dug-up & killed again for fun - thank-you Mr.Messi & friends.
Morectalk

Postby shrimper » Sun May 29, 2011 10:14 am

The danger is that you try to impose some kind of 'ideal' style onto players who just aren't capable. Jim will have an idea how he wants to play and will try to bring in the players to do it. At our level you also have to take into consideration the quality of pitches.

I'll be happy if we can 'mix' it a bit and have players comfortable on the ball, but others who can impose their presence in the air. Then if we can be a bit more imaginative at set pieces, I think there are a lot of goals and points to be had with some good training ground rehearsal.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:51 am

black morse wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Errrrr yes BUT this is Champions League, we are League 2. Maybe same principles but ffs get real.

I did say to a much lesser degree! As you say...same principles, that's all I was trying to say. How often last season did we take the lead only to sit back and take the pressureoff the opposition?

Oops apologies for appearing to bite your head off. It was rather late at the time ;) ..

Expectations can get rather high sometimes :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby AlphaShrimp » Sun May 29, 2011 12:14 pm

marky wrote:Spain are a national football team and won the world cup by playing 4-2-3-1. John Coleman saw that and got his team to the play offs. Classic example of how to translate a formation and style of play at the highest level and get success with it at a much lower level.

What a load of bollocks
AlphaShrimp

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 29, 2011 12:40 pm

marky wrote:Spain are a national football team and won the world cup by playing 4-2-3-1. John Coleman saw that and got his team to the play offs. Classic example of how to translate a formation and style of play at the highest level and get success with it at a much lower level.

...heard Coley discuss this on radio. Seems to have worked for Accy.
Christies Child

Postby dazza » Sun May 29, 2011 12:52 pm

What a surprise your other fav team is man utd,,,,,,,the more I hear the less shocked I become,,,,,that explains a awful lot!!!!..
****dazza****
dazza

Postby Keith » Sun May 29, 2011 1:32 pm

AlphaShrimp wrote:

What a load of bollocks

What a well thought out and presented argument. Thank you for your contribution!

I went in to the game wanting United to win and came out of it delighted they didn't. Even Fergie appeared to acknowledge they were beaten by quality.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Sun May 29, 2011 2:26 pm

AlphaShrimp wrote:What a load of bollocks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2011/05/world_cup_heroics_inspire_accr.html#290325

I suggest you read this excellent blog post by Paul Fletcher. You might actually learn something. The great man himself admits that Spain were his inspiration for the way he set Accrington out to play this season.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 29, 2011 2:38 pm

dazza wrote:What a surprise your other fav team is man utd,,,,,,,the more I hear the less shocked I become,,,,,that explains a awful lot!!!!..

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Sad, very sad!

Could it be that you are jealous of their success earned over the years by an excellent man manager and motivator?
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 29, 2011 2:48 pm

the 4 2 3 1 formation as been popular for a good few years now Mourinho was one of the first coaches to start using it at Porto and introduced it at Chelsea with Drogba tailor made for it and also the Liverpool team who finished runners up in the premiership under Benitez were playing 4 2 3 1 for the majority of that season

its nothing new like is that Spain's secret for there recent success
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Sun May 29, 2011 2:58 pm

George Dawes wrote:its nothing new like is that Spain's secret for there recent success

No, but it was Spain that inspired Coley to introduce it at Accrington. I know Marky talks crap more often than not ;) 8-) but occasionally what he posts doesn't deserve to be questioned! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 29, 2011 3:14 pm

4 2 3 1 could have worked for us at the start of this season just gone with 2 holding players allowing 3 attackers to play a lot closer getting Mullin constant support unlike a 4 5 1 with a big gulf between the midfield and the loan striker

----Scott Stanley
Duffy Fleming Rundle
-------Mullin

but anyway thats past lets look forward with Jimbo :D
George Dawes

Postby Bare Ben » Sun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Christies Child wrote:
dazza wrote:What a surprise your other fav team is man utd,,,,,,,the more I hear the less shocked I become,,,,,that explains a awful lot!!!!..

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Sad, very sad!

Could it be that you are jealous of their success earned over the years by an excellent man manager and motivator?

Is that how you felt about Sammy then? :roll:
Bare Ben

Postby Dragofly » Sun May 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Glad the UNICEF boys won, never had much respect for the Re-Insurance/ Risk management team.
Dragofly

Next

Return to General Discussion