Painting the Barriers

Painting the Barriers

Postby shrimpinho » Wed May 25, 2011 6:36 pm

With regards to the MBW barriers do you think the club will put on a sort of fan day?

in the sense that fans can come down and volunteer to help out. it can almost create a sort of fan bonding session ahead of the new season, get everyone excited.

maybe even the players can join in and create a stronger relationship with the fans.
(although I know painting barriers won't be the top priority in pre-season).

just a thought. it could work.
shrimpinho

Re: Painting the Barriers

Postby morecambe mick » Wed May 25, 2011 7:29 pm

You mean a bit like clearing the snow off the pitch?

;)
morecambe mick

Postby Morectalk » Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Might be a idea to have them painted properly. A bunch of lads slapping paint on metalwork may not work so well for the longevity of the barriers - no offence gents !!!!!!!
Morectalk

Postby morecambe mick » Thu May 26, 2011 4:27 am

Morectalk wrote:Might be a idea to have them painted properly. A bunch of lads slapping paint on metalwork may not work so well for the longevity of the barriers - no offence gents !!!!!!!

Umbro stand seemed to last ok :!: :evil:
morecambe mick

Postby Morectalk » Mon May 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Oh well, what do I know - apart from 20 odd years in the industry. :roll:

As I said, no offence, although the Umbro Stand was probably paint on paint so you could maybe get away with slapping it on, & that was also the away end so it didn't matter so much. If the MBW is going to be painted for the first time it should at least be done right & not grin through all over the place.
Morectalk

Postby thegentlegiant » Mon May 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Morectalk wrote:Oh well, what do I know - apart from 20 odd years in the industry. :roll:

As I said, no offence, although the Umbro Stand was probably paint on paint so you could maybe get away with slapping it on, & that was also the away end so it didn't matter so much. If the MBW is going to be painted for the first time it should at least be done right & not grin through all over the place.

Maybe you should volunteer and show us how its done if you have 20 years experience ????
thegentlegiant

Postby George Dawes » Mon May 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Morectalk wrote:Oh well, what do I know - apart from 20 odd years in the industry. :roll:

i see what your saying about it being done properly with the proper primers and two pack top coat paint in order for the paint to key(stick) to the metal steelwork

you gonna put a cheap price or better still run the job as a favour with volunteer's over a couple of weekends seeing its the club you support ?
George Dawes

Postby Paul_Talk » Mon May 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Yes you have to allow the primer to dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours, so it would have to be done on different occasions if there was to be any fan involvement.

I myself have 37 years in the industry.
Paul_Talk

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon May 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Paul_Talk wrote:Yes you have to allow the primer to dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours, so it would have to be done on different occasions if there was to be any fan involvement.

2k primer dont need 24 hours to cure :shock:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Crooky MFC » Mon May 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Ive got an art gcse, does that count?
Crooky MFC

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon May 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Send ya cv to Morectalk :lol:
shrimpnsave

Postby George Dawes » Mon May 30, 2011 6:10 pm

i use driers drop a bit of that in and paint drys twice as quick its reet

George Dawes

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon May 30, 2011 6:15 pm

George Dawes wrote:i use driers drop a bit of that in and paint drys twice as quick its reet

A lot of wind drys paint quicker as well :roll:
shrimpnsave

Postby Crooky MFC » Mon May 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Just a basic guide to painting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSnlX3H194
Crooky MFC

Postby ockers » Mon May 30, 2011 6:37 pm

ockers

Postby outsider » Mon May 30, 2011 6:46 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:

We could make it a Shrimps-voices day out and all the hot air would dry it even faster
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Paul_Talk » Mon May 30, 2011 6:55 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
Paul_Talk wrote:Yes you have to allow the primer to dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours, so it would have to be done on different occasions if there was to be any fan involvement.

Well give or take an hour or so, that was just a rough estimate. I would of given a more precise quote if I'd of known you where going to be so persnickety about it.
Paul_Talk

Postby Harry » Mon May 30, 2011 7:16 pm

outsider wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:

We could make it a Shrimps-voices day out and all the hot air would dry it even faster

And even have spare to fly some kites!
Harry

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon May 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Paul_Talk wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:

Well give or take an hour or so, that was just a rough estimate. I would of given a more precise quote if I'd of known you where going to be so persnickety about it.

sorry mate :oops: the 2k primer that i use is dry within 2 hours..no offence meant :)
shrimpnsave

Postby Why no t » Mon May 30, 2011 8:14 pm

The problem may be with the galvanised steel barriers rather than the paint.

Galvanised steel needs a couples of years to weather or it needs to painted with an acid, so the paint will key and not peel off after short amount of time.
Life without football is.......
Why no t

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Why no t wrote:The problem may be with the galvanised steel barriers rather than the paint.

Galvanised steel needs a couples of years to weather or it needs to painted with an acid, so the paint will key and not peel off after short amount of time.

self etchin primer :?:
shrimpnsave

Postby Loyalsupporter » Mon May 30, 2011 8:29 pm

You would firstly need to key the surface, then degrease the surface, then ensure the degreser is fully removed

then you could A) powder coat or B) paint

for painting you would use an etch primer followed by a durable colour coat, paints used would be one of the following, cellulose or 2K

although you could get a few buckets of hammerite smooth and paint straight onto the metal work

Powder coating would be a better option but probably better done before being installed as it needs baking in an oven
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby George Dawes » Mon May 30, 2011 8:35 pm

before attempting to paint metal surfaces, rather than use acid wash it's a lot quicker and safer to use a acid-based metal etching primer then its 2 birds with 1 stone

and once the metal surface is primed, you can just about use any paint(red gloss)
George Dawes

Postby jmatkinson » Mon May 30, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth going through all this hassle! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jmatkinson

Postby George Dawes » Mon May 30, 2011 8:48 pm

as a apprentice i use to paint the railings on Morecambe promenade and the council insisted we started using Hammerite(more expensive) instead of the standard oil based "primer u/c gloss paints" we were using because the rust just use to come through after 3 months or so after being done with because of the salt air

so we used Hammerite on one section and this 2 pack stuff on another section as a sample and guess what ? the rust still come through after 3 months all the same

point being a lot of the stuff out on the market is bollox to con your average DIY'er paying more money thinking its better ie. like that one coat paint white will never cover black in one coat! then you get this base coat for putting on plaster before painting with emulsion just give it 2 coats of contract emulsion! watch who you talk to people who serve behind tills dont know the trade and dont know what there talking about
Last edited by George Dawes on Mon May 30, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
George Dawes

Next

Return to General Discussion