Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:49 am

Not sure if this has been posted previously :

http://www.football.co.uk/colchester_un ... 0827.shtml
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Re: O/T Perks gets 4 POTY awards !

Postby Crazeenick » Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 am

Well done Perks !

Wish we'd kept him - he's a player who always gave 100% when he played.
Crazeenick

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:09 am

Well done to Perks. Why is it though that he wasn't very good when we played him as a midfielder (he requested to revert back to left-back but Howard had made the spot his own) yet everywhere else he has been he has proved to be a smash hit? A bit like Stanley who this season has been very average with us, but whilst on loan at Torquay he has been getting rave reviews. Odd.

Do you think Perks would ever come back like Drummond did? Does he still have property in the area? Rumours were rife at the time of his departure that he didn't get on well with Sammy, but obviously that isn't a problem anymore. I can't see him being interested unless we improve dramatically on the field, or he and Colchester start to struggle. You never know though?
RedRedWine1

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:15 am

Seem to remember Keith Hill saying that Perks was the best EVER player he had signed when he took his former Shrimps colleague to Rochdale.

Who knows, IF Keith Hill gets the Barnsley job, he might well make Perks his first signing there perhaps prompting a move into the Championship for him.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby steve mfc » Fri May 20, 2011 11:19 am

As far as Perkins is concerned it is was probably down to perseverance, it takes time to convert a fullback to a midfielder as we have seen with Wilson, as for Stanley i would say it was because he was going into a team that was playing well with great movement and passing, they certainly impressed me when they played at the Globe.
steve mfc

Postby Shrimpy » Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 am

RedRedWine wrote:Well done to Perks. Why is it though that he wasn't very good when we played him as a midfielder (he requested to revert back to left-back but Howard had made the spot his own) yet everywhere else he has been he has proved to be a smash hit? A bit like Stanley who this season has been very average with us, but whilst on loan at Torquay he has been getting rave reviews. Odd.

I can remember at the time he was playing for Rochdale hearing from someone connected to Perks that Keith Hill employed a much higher defensive line meaning that the gap between the defenders and strikers was much smaller. This allowed Perks and other midfielders to be much nearer the attackers than he would have been at Morecambe resulting in him getting far more involved in the game in an attacking sense rather than just shielding the back four all the time, this also meant he had much less ground to cover.

I feel that this is still a common problem with Morecambe sides to this day. It's no coincidence that we've not really had an exceptional talent in the centre of the park for a very long time now yet former players in Perkins and Craney have gone onto achieve this elsewhere.
Shrimpy

Postby Ntini » Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Shrimpy wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:Well done to Perks. Why is it though that he wasn't very good when we played him as a midfielder (he requested to revert back to left-back but Howard had made the spot his own) yet everywhere else he has been he has proved to be a smash hit? A bit like Stanley who this season has been very average with us, but whilst on loan at Torquay he has been getting rave reviews. Odd.

I can remember at the time he was playing for Rochdale hearing from someone connected to Perks that Keith Hill employed a much higher defensive line meaning that the gap between the defenders and strikers was much smaller. This allowed Perks and other midfielders to be much nearer the attackers than he would have been at Morecambe resulting in him getting far more involved in the game in an attacking sense rather than just shielding the back four all the time, this also meant he had much less ground to cover.

I feel that this is still a common problem with Morecambe sides to this day. It's no coincidence that we've not really had an exceptional talent in the centre of the park for a very long time now yet former players in Perkins and Craney have gone onto achieve this elsewhere.

Is that not due to a lack of pace at the back for us over the last few seasons? We've had decent enough defenders such as Bentley, Artell, Parrish, McCready, Haining etc. but none of which can match the pace of some of the Strikers in this league. Therefore you have to play a bit deeper so that Strikers can't get up to full pace and run behind them with a ball over the top.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Shrimpy » Fri May 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Ntini wrote:
Shrimpy wrote:

Is that not due to a lack of pace at the back for us over the last few seasons? We've had decent enough defenders such as Bentley, Artell, Parrish, McCready, Haining etc. but none of which can match the pace of some of the Strikers in this league. Therefore you have to play a bit deeper so that Strikers can't get up to full pace and run behind them with a ball over the top.

You are completely correct but I believe this affects our midfield as outlined above. A pacy back line will improve the midfield.
Shrimpy

Postby Posh » Fri May 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Good question.

RedRedWine wrote:Rumours were rife at the time of his departure that he [Perks] didn't get on well with Sammy

:roll: Ah.

Que Ezz ->
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:53 pm

But Sammy turned Thommo into a consistent performer, so I don't really put Perks below par midfield displays down to the King. He left because he was frustrated at not getting starts, but at the time given Howards form I thought Sammy was right to drop him.

Perks developed a lot whilst at Dale. When he went there they were midtable also rans who could afford the time for him to settle into midfield. We had been pushing to go up for years and given that Harvey had been slung for failing to deliver promotion, couldn't really afford that time. It was the experienced players that Sammy brought to the club that finally pushed us over the line.

I said at the time that a change of scene would be good for both parties, but that ultimately we would miss him in 5 years time when Howard was a spent force. As it turns out the left-back role has been well filled and continues to be so (really hope we can keep Wilson). But we actually could do with Perks in the middle these days, which I doubt many people would have thought when he left.
RedRedWine1

Postby parceldave » Fri May 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Does he still have property in the area
Yep same neighbourhood as me , saw him in town before with Joe S . If Garry Hunter is 6ft tall now Perks must be about 6ft 2". ;)
parceldave

Postby Mike » Fri May 20, 2011 5:16 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Do you think Perks would ever come back like Drummond did?

No.

Great player, but I think by the time the club is at the same level, as he is as a player, then we wont want him. i.e Morecambe are probably beneath him now and when we get there, he'll be too old for us to want him then.

Wish him well though, he was brilliant for us.
"He's got all the time in the world - no he's taken far too long"
Mike

Return to General Discussion