Sammy 3 job offers already!

Re: Sammy 3 job offers already!

Postby top trump » Thu May 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Sammy h wrote:There are unpolished diamonds out there, we just have to find them.

Was it Ferguson who signed Boyd and Mackail-Smith? Look at them two now!

Sorry but they were well known on the non-league scene and it wasn't like they were plucked out of thin air. Peterborough spent serious money bringing them into the league, however their investment has paid off as they would probably get double what they paid for them.
top trump

Postby ezz » Thu May 19, 2011 5:57 pm

morecambe mick wrote:A job higher up :?:

Like maybe at international level, that is higher.

How did Northern Ireland do under him? :?

No like championship, there's no reason why he couldn't manage at a higher level.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:52 pm

The only transfer fees Sammy paid were for Carl Baker, Mark Duffy, and a token fee for Charnock. For the first two signings, Sammy got a return that exceeded the investment made by the club. Add into the bargain that he got decent service out of both and it's hard to argue that he did badly when he was actually given money to spend on transfers.

Sammy also brought other players who have prospered here on free transfers; Wilson, Roche, Flemming and Parrish, all of whom would command decent fees (assumes Wilson stays) and/or have time on their side to develop and push the club forwards. Yes he has brought in some players who have not performed well (which he must carry the can for, but in some cases I think the individual players need to look at themselves as they have let him down badly) but that happens when you are dabbling with players who are floating around on free transfers.

Personally I got the impression that the move to the stadium would have allowed us to flex our arm in the transfer market (buying players) and make us a viable club. Perhaps that’s why Sammy stuck around when Shrewsbury showed interest in him before appointing Turner. Now the club are looking to cut the budget, because they got the sums wrong and delivered a stadium that is 3/4 substandard with crowds falling and facilities undersubscribed.
RedRedWine1

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Good post RRW, I actually think sammy will be in work with a bigger budget than ours sooner, rather than later, despite his comments regarding a long break, Jims appointment, if unsuccessful will be hailed on the cheap, if we fail, and a masterstroke if we succeed, I hope it is the latter for both us and Jim, top bloke.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 19, 2011 7:46 pm

RedRedWine wrote:The only transfer fees Sammy paid were for Carl Baker, Mark Duffy, and a token fee for Charnock. For the first two signings, Sammy got a return that exceeded the investment made by the club. Add into the bargain that he got decent service out of both and it's hard to argue that he did badly when he was actually given money to spend on transfers.

Sammy also brought other players who have prospered here on free transfers; Wilson, Roche, Flemming and Parrish, all of whom would command decent fees (assumes Wilson stays) and/or have time on their side to develop and push the club forwards. Yes he has brought in some players who have not performed well (which he must carry the can for, but in some cases I think the individual players need to look at themselves as they have let him down badly) but that happens when you are dabbling with players who are floating around on free transfers.

Personally I got the impression that the move to the stadium would have allowed us to flex our arm in the transfer market (buying players) and make us a viable club. Perhaps that’s why Sammy stuck around when Shrewsbury showed interest in him before appointing Turner. Now the club are looking to cut the budget, because they got the sums wrong and delivered a stadium that is 3/4 substandard with crowds falling and facilities undersubscribed.

Until the next set of accounts are published it's difficult to substantiate what you say. My observation is that the facilities within the Globe are giving an excellent return and has received much praise from those who have used it. However the sporting side of the development ie the 5 a-side pitches and the other areas have not given the return to date that was expected. A reference to this was given at the last AGM when a question was raised by a fellow shareholder about both areas of the Arena.

This I believe is one of the reasons that the playing budget has had to be reduced plus the ever rising costs in travel and overnight accommodation which will not improve by the looks of it next season.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Travel and overnight stays are getting worse CC.

We have lost Chesterfield, Bury (and potentially Accy) and gained in return Crawley, Dagenham, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Argyle, Swindon Town and also of course one of two from AFC Wimbledon or Luton Town.

All (I would imagine/hope) overnight stays.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:53 pm

And of course, lost Stockport County too.

Forgot about them rascals .... !!
Seasider9601

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Travel and overnight stays are getting worse CC.

We have lost Chesterfield, Bury (and potentially Accy) and gained in return Crawley, Dagenham, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Argyle, Swindon Town and also of course one of two from AFC Wimbledon or Luton Town.

All (I would imagine/hope) overnight stays.

That's what I implied in my post!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:04 pm

I know !!!! Believe it or not, ( :? ) I was agreeing with you !!!!!!!!!
Seasider9601

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:06 pm

We are sort of going way off topic now, but excellent return??? The last comment PMG made about the facilities is that they were just about to start picking up.... which leads to the observation that they weren't doing very well prior to that. The bar is hardly open, and I don't know anybody who lives in the area that is a member of the gym (somebody posted on here who is a member that the facilities at the gym are good, but that not many people had joined up). I know people that have been to parties at the Globe and said that it has been really good, so how many functions do they have a week? Are the numerous PLC's based in the area having their annual conferences there yet???

To my mind the only thing that has been a success are the private boxes, which I understand are sold out for next season as well as the season that has just passed.
RedRedWine1

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu May 19, 2011 8:09 pm

when are karrbutseil starting their build on the front :?:
mrpotatohead

Postby Posh » Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 pm

My understanding is that progress is being made on the revenues front. The teething problems with the Globe helped no one but over the last few months things seem to have settled down. As far as I'm aware the function suite is booked up most weekends throughout the summer. Stopping the losses on the bar made a lot of sense and it's now about how it can be better utilised.

The sponsors lounges are a huge success. Additionally match sponsorship is a world apart from Christie with much more revenue opportunities. Also the club shop, which Phil is a doing a great job with is performing way better than Christie.

There are obviously a lot of challenges, most notably the economy, but the Globe is getting there.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ezz » Thu May 19, 2011 9:38 pm

How many people here would use the bar if it was open every night? Supporters club meetings there would probably boost the income a lot but probably only have one meeting a week if that.
Anyone know how much the gym is by any chance?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Bare Ben » Thu May 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Yeah how much is the gym? Brilliant suggestion!

I believe karrbutseil have hired a swedish sub-contractor to start the works - sellinyakrap construction ltd.
Bare Ben

Postby Pandashrimp » Thu May 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Sammy h wrote:There are unpolished diamonds out there, we just have to find them.

I was told soon after his death by a Lincoln fan that it was Keith Alexander that signed these three during a dissappointing time at Posh. If true then these signings have sort of been his legacy to that club.
Pandashrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu May 19, 2011 11:09 pm

selynyakrapp always complete on time, happy days.
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimper » Thu May 19, 2011 11:16 pm

Pandashrimp wrote:

I was told soon after his death by a Lincoln fan that it was Keith Alexander that signed these three during a dissappointing time at Posh. If true then these signings have sort of been his legacy to that club.

Absolutely. Great players those three, Boyd, Mackail and Smith.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:41 pm

RedRedWine wrote:To my mind the only thing that has been a success are the private boxes, which I understand are sold out for next season as well as the season that has just passed.

Done well but there was a vacancy cropped up at the end of the season, could well have been taken by now though 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Posh » Thu May 19, 2011 11:50 pm

shrimper wrote:
Pandashrimp wrote:

Absolutely. Great players those three, Boyd, Mackail and Smith.

Benefit of the doubt I think he meant Boyd, Mackail-Smith and Aaron McLean (who was bought from Grays for £150K and sold to Hull for £2 million).
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Previous

Return to General Discussion