FreeviewO/T

FreeviewO/T

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed May 18, 2011 7:40 pm

I have a samsung tv with intergrated freeview(also sky hd box)

Does anybody have any problems with the picture braking up on freeview and making funny tweaking noises :?: like i have especially when the wind blows

My analog ariel is pointing towards winter hill :?: :?:

and please dont say i need a digital ariel :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Re: FreeviewO/T

Postby Squaddie_Shrimp » Wed May 18, 2011 7:58 pm

probably just a bad signal, the tiniest of things can affect it, even the wind

Maybe try getting a new TV antenna ;)
Results are temporary... Shrimps Pride is Forever
Squaddie_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Wed May 18, 2011 8:08 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:My analog ariel...
and please dont say i need a digital ariel :lol:

Is there any other answer to give?
Who will need a new TV aerial?

Only those who want to get their digital TV service via Freeview may need a new aerial. If you want to watch TV via a Virgin Media cable TV service or a satellite TV service such as Freesat or Sky, you won't need one.
Which? Local aerial installer

Which? Local can help you find a reputable aerial installer

Regulator Ofcom estimates that only 5-10% of homes will need a new TV aerial to receive Freeview after the switch to digital.

If you currently receive a good Freeview signal, your existing TV aerial should still work afterwards. Even if you can't pick up a Freeview signal right now, don't assume you'll need to buy a new aerial.

The current Freeview signal is too weak in some areas of the UK for TV aerials to pick it up. The digital switchover will strengthen the Freeview signal so that after the switch, many households will be able to watch Freeview for the first time without having to buy a new aerial.

If you were on Lancaster you may have been okay but Winterhill is a long way away! Freeview arials are longer than the old pre-digital era ones.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed May 18, 2011 8:16 pm

When you say lancaster do you mean never kellet :?:

Is so would i be able to re-position my ariel to nk and retune????
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Keith » Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:When you say lancaster do you mean never kellet :?:

Is so would i be able to re-position my ariel to nk and retune????

It's the Lancaster transmitter at Nether Kellet, only locals called it that.

From a dim and distant memory, the broadcasts from Lancaster are the opposite polarity and a different frequency, so basically, no, not if you want a decent picture (you can use the aerial in the opposite polarity by turning it 90 degrees but the length of the 'arms' is different). Have a look at other people's aerials and you will see that depending on if they are pointing at Winter Hill or Lancaster, they will either be 'flat' or 'upright'. If you are happy going on the roof yourself, it is simple enough to do and any shop in the area that sells aerials will sell you the correct one. It's the height that would stop me doing it and I'm not sure there is much on there that you can't get through the Sky box/Freesat bar even more re-runs on Dave (which isn't on Freesat).
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Group 'A' Vertical polarity.

The 'longer' struts on your Winter Hill aerial may cause 'shadowing' problems because the signal strength will be too strong... apparently!

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 3017308/11

Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion