Re: A view on Bentley's appointment.

Postby ezz » Sun May 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Wonder what it'll take to inspire Ned?
The ghosts of footballs past?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky » Sun May 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Whilst Ned's views are, perhaps, the ultimate extreme I must say I share some of them to a certain extent. Jim Bentley is going to be a steep learning curve next season and it does have the potential to go wrong. He does need an experienced head alongside him. The hardest task for him will be telling players who were team mates less than 4 days ago that they are not part of his plans. We do need an overhaul of our squad. It's going to be a very interesting summer.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby ezz » Sun May 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Of course it'll be a large learning curve, the experience of his number 2 will be key!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sammy h » Sun May 15, 2011 6:41 pm

ezz wrote:Of course it'll be a large learning curve, the experience of his number 2 will be key!

Announced tomorrow apparently.
Sammy h

Postby Gnasher » Sun May 15, 2011 6:45 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:the guy i was accused of bullying a while back, who, in my opinion comes on here to take the p1 55.

Ned's no angel, are you Robert?
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Toby_Greenwood » Sun May 15, 2011 7:22 pm

"No probs with the appointment and I wish him all the best"

Posted by Simply Ned 24 hours before this post....

What view will he be taking tommorow?
Toby_Greenwood

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 15, 2011 7:48 pm

ned is no angel gnasher, and i am no robert :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun May 15, 2011 7:52 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:ned is no angel gnasher, and i am no robert :lol:

you are my potato :lol: :lol: X
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby The Fury » Sun May 15, 2011 7:54 pm

marky wrote:Whilst Ned's views are, perhaps, the ultimate extreme I must say I share some of them to a certain extent. Jim Bentley is going to be a steep learning curve next season and it does have the potential to go wrong. He does need an experienced head alongside him. The hardest task for him will be telling players who were team mates less than 4 days ago that they are not part of his plans. We do need an overhaul of our squad. It's going to be a very interesting summer.

That's the crux of it. Lurking behind Ned's hyperbole and innuendo is usually the basis for a decent constructive criticism.
The Fury

Postby Posh » Sun May 15, 2011 7:58 pm

marky wrote:Whilst Ned's views are, perhaps, the ultimate extreme I must say I share some of them to a certain extent. Jim Bentley is going to be a steep learning curve next season and it does have the potential to go wrong. He does need an experienced head alongside him. The hardest task for him will be telling players who were team mates less than 4 days ago that they are not part of his plans. We do need an overhaul of our squad. It's going to be a very interesting summer.

Yes he does need a good number 2 - durrr! (No let's get a shite one)
Yes it's going to be tough - durrr! (Eight players on contract)

It isn't the patently obvious points he makes that people are criticising it's the abject negativity, the presumptions that Jimbo won't do things and won't deal with issues when Ned hasn't got a clue and Jim has barely started in the job.

P.S. The release of Neil Wainwright, a good friend of Jim's, shows that he's very quickly getting on with the job and making tough decisions. Everyone bar a bitter Ned is behind Jim.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 15, 2011 8:08 pm

The appointment is what it is, realistic, and fan pleasing, our fan base governs our budget so we were never going to pay compensation to a succesful managers team elsewhere, out of work managers at our level are thus because they are failures, a local legend who knows what he is working with has a head start on anyone, I would argue, given budget etc, there is no one in a better position to do the job than Jim Bentley, I have talked to him many times but do not profess to know him, I do not think he will have any trouble trimming his squad as he sees fit man to man, I do not know wether he will be a good manager or not, but he will not hide, he will give 100 percent and i think he will get off to a good start.
mrpotatohead

Postby Plain Peter » Sun May 15, 2011 8:09 pm

I've got a mint condition programme for the Morecambe v Telford game on 4 September 1999.
Has Jim Bentley's appointment increased the value of that programme?
Plain Peter

Postby Raeyes » Sun May 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Posh wrote:Yes he does need a good number 2 - durrr! (No let's get a shite one)

Marky says 'experienced', not 'good'. There seems to be a quelling on here for Drummond to be number two. Personally I don't think that would be a good idea, given the amount of work (which you have identified) Jimbo has on his plate.
Raeyes

Postby morecambegeek » Sun May 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Simply Ned wrote: Statistically the majority of first time internal football manager appointments are not successful but it depends on what the club considers successful.

Any chance of sharing your calculations with us?
morecambegeek

Postby MancShrimp » Sun May 15, 2011 9:04 pm

So what Bentley is inexperienced!! Every football manager has to start somewhere and in any proffesion you gain experience by doing the job . I have witnessed a few gutless performances this season, Macclesfield away for example, im pretty sure that will not happen under Bentleys management. If your not pulling your weight you wont play. Personally i'd rather watch players who are 100% commited to the cause and not that technicaly gifted, than ones who fancy themselves and just turn up for their money.
MancShrimp

Postby bigreddog » Sun May 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Nobody knows whether Jim will be a good manager, we can have a discussion about that this time next year. But I trust the judgement of the board absolutely and I know they have a lot of faith in Jim. All I can say is that I wanted Jim and so did a lot of other supporters; we now need to get right behind him from the first whistle of next season. He is as honest as the day is long and will work every waking hour for our club, he is a workaholic, cares passionately about the club and the fans, and he’s done his coaching badges and is a leader who is respected right around the club. It seems that the major doubt from some is his lack of experience, but if you're the right man for the job, you're the right man for the job. Never mistake longevity for achievement. Jim will do everything he can to make sure we progress and so will his new assistant.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby Posh » Sun May 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Raeyes wrote:
Posh wrote:Yes he does need a good number 2 - durrr! (No let's get a shite one)

Marky says 'experienced', not 'good'. There seems to be a quelling on here for Drummond to be number two. Personally I don't think that would be a good idea, given the amount of work (which you have identified) Jimbo has on his plate.

I wasn't criticising Marky just Ned. Experienced / good it's just semantics. Jim needs to choose someone he can trust and knows who he can work with. Someone mentions Drummy and you're paranoid. Just let him get on with it. It seems several people are underestimating him already.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby stevanshrimp » Sun May 15, 2011 11:36 pm

mrpotatohead wrote: he will give 100 percent and i think he will get off to a good start.

Sadly, something Sammy didn't do for some reason which he openly admitted on occasions.
I still believe!
stevanshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Mon May 16, 2011 5:39 am

Posh wrote: Just let him get on with it.

"Hear, hear...!".
Plain Peter

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 am

Neds post is a fair one in parts. Jim is an appointment with a lot of heart as opposed to the head. It could also be argued to be a "cheap" appointment. However, as I have posted earlier, and the more erudite of this board have suggested also, for Morecambe to get its identity back as a small progressive, well run, small family club. It is only with that base that we will get players young or old alike to buy in to our way of thinking, our way of playing football and getting the job done. My own personal opinion was that we made a rod with own back getting journeymen in like Capaldi, Scott etc who are happy to take their money, turn up to sub standard training sessions and bugger off home.

Craig Stanley for example, has his faults but wanted to win badly. We need more players like that and if we get more players with his work ethic in this cannot be a bad thing. This will enable the more shrinking violets that we recruit to express themselves as they have the backing of leaders on the park. A lot has been made of the captaincy this year, my issue wasn't that it went to Roche, more the fact that the only one suitable to take it was Barry Roche. League 2 football is in the main percentage based. Set pieces and organisation are the order of the day and although you need some creativity it will be no use without some 'orrible units and leaders to do the hard work - something which was sadly lacking this year.

If we are to finish 20th next season, so be it, but surely with Jim involved it will be with the likes of Cowperthwaite and Wraighte given a chance, the club turning over at somewhere near break even and a united fan base. Oh, and set up a proper academy with League accreditation!
SupermarketShrimp

Postby shrimpinho » Mon May 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I know it is a totally different scene but the talk of Manchester United and how senior players who have been there for their careers, (Giggs, Scholes etc) "police" the dressing room, in terms of keeping the new boys and young lads in check and understanding their football club's way.

it makes me wonder if something similar can and will happen here, with obviously Jimbo as manager now, who bleeds Morecambe FC, Drummie, Carlton, Hunter or Stanners if he stays. they are all senior players who show passion for the club, hungry for success and knows what it means to play for our club;
which in turn can make any young lads coming through or new lads being brought in grow into our own little way. ???
shrimpinho

Postby MfcChris » Mon May 16, 2011 12:44 pm

All this BS about inexperience. We have all been inexperienced at things we are now experienced in. Every manager has to have a 'first' job.

I remember when I was trying to get a job after being qualified and it was swings and roundabouts. Most jobs wanted someone with experience but for me to get experience I needed a job. Some employer has to take a 'chance' on me. They never regretted it ;)
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby SimplyRed MFC » Mon May 16, 2011 8:44 pm

It is a brave decision by the board and happily accept PMG's statement that Jim Bentley was the best candidate for the position based on the clubs current criteria and of course we all wish Jim Bentley all the best for the new season which I certainly do.

I think a degree of patience and realism will be required by everyone and it is certain that some mistakes will be made. Realistically, I would take a mid-table finish next May under the current circumstances

Regarding inexperience, new managers do have to learn somewhere and I'm sure that the Accrington board and fans thought precisely the same thing when they appointed John Coleman all those years ago - and he hasnt turned out so bad has he ?

For me, two key areas must be the player recruitment policy ( like a Dagenham style under John Still ) and a new emphasis on youth development and hopefully Jim has wider club contacts than has recently been the case and instigates a scouting network if possible

Good luck Jim !
SimplyRed MFC

Postby marky » Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Except John Coleman wasn't inexperienced when he took the reigns at Accrington, having previously managed Ashton United...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon May 16, 2011 10:36 pm

it will be reet, jim bentley has balls, and a lot of spunk, nobody could doubt drummers, ken has seen it and done it on a budget, appointments look realistic, fans happy, DO IT.
mrpotatohead

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion