A view on Bentley's appointment.

A view on Bentley's appointment.

Postby Ned » Sun May 15, 2011 9:36 am

With local support driven down to 1700 regulars and many season ticket holders threatening not to renew, it was surely no surprise to see Bentley appointed without an application or full board interview. Despite having no managerial experience he was the people’s choice which should insulate the board from any criticism should it not work out and should ensure season tickets are renewed. Statistically the majority of first time internal football manager appointments are not successful but it depends on what the club considers successful. Realistically I believe this club and fans would accept survival as long as it was a comfortable survival i.e. in the bottom half of the table throughout the season without a serious threat of dropping into the bottom 4.
Had Jim gone through the process of interview with the board along with other applicants I suspect (judging by his interview with the Bay) that he may have had difficulty convincing the panel of his way forward. Listening to him on the Bay I found his emphasis on having players who would run through brick walls naïve, outdated and unrealistic. It was primarily a reference to the way he plays which supporters like, but is not reflective of a lot of modern players which if it was would exclude players like Ryan Lowe and Jimmy Ryan from Bentley’s team. Agreed you would prefer players who give 100% commitment but creative players don’t always appear to do that but in essence are more likely to win you matches than some one directional midfielders who’s main contribution is running around giving needless free kicks away (no names necessary). I was also disappointed to hear that Jim had not given any thought about strengthing the team as his priority was to recruit his backroom staff. He obviously believes there is plenty of time to recruit players which may be true. However as the best ones are usually cherry picked early I assume he must have decided we can’t attract them and has resigned himself to the usual lucky dip of released failures. The appointment of his assistant will be interesting and perhaps vital depending if it is an experienced head or a young ex player looking for a start in management. Either way they are unlikely to have any input on which of the current players to retain and as such I see no reason why Jim cannot release this list during next week. I believe the release of this list would be a positive statement of his intent. The list should include players who are out of contract who are not being renewed, loan players no longer required and players still in contract who are being made available as they don’t figure in the new manager’s plans. If he delays the release of this list it may well send out the wrong message, alternatively if he needs any assistance on which players to be given directions to Giant Axe I will gladly assist.
Ned

Re: A view on Bentley's appointment.

Postby Mark S » Sun May 15, 2011 10:16 am

Every silver lining has a cloud! :roll:

Congratulations on a new all time low Ned! :(

Jim's appointment is popular for a reason. The majority believe that it is the best option. Your arrogance is astonishing in that you actually believe yourself to be superior to the majority of people.

I used to believe that you were a fan of the club and wanted the best, but anyone who is pouring cold water over this fantastic appointment is not a supporter of my club.
Mark S

Postby chrise27007mk2 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:39 am

Are you for real? Go and spout your negativity elsewhere, you're boring.
chrise27007mk2

Postby CASS » Sun May 15, 2011 10:52 am

Crap on the Radio..Head feeling like it has been in a vice ...Fire up the Dell for a look at SV..
And guess what..Ned...Not even read it Feel crap enough with out subjecting a sponge of a brain to the ramblings of Morecambe Magpie (2 for joy etc)..Off back to bed.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun May 15, 2011 11:13 am

Yawn! Apart from being completely negative, it just dragged on and on and on!
Little Shrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Sun May 15, 2011 11:34 am

A thoroughly negative post from the only man who could. Still, it adds some balance to the Bentley love-in!

I do though take on-board the comments about the lack of an interview process. It would have been interesting if Jim would have still got the job had he had to compete against some experienced managers with successful CVs.

Don't agree with the Bay Radio interview. Jim has laid his stall out like you would expect and I see it being an end to the conveyor belt of over-paid journeymen looking for a cushy pay-packet. If we are to have any chance of success we need a squad of 20 players fighting for the right to get a start for Saturday.

I am not going to judge Bentley the manager before I have seen what he can do but I feel with a bit of luck and some clever signings we might just surprise a few next season.
Wild Bill

Postby Keith » Sun May 15, 2011 12:17 pm

I asked Ned to say who he would like to get the job before the appointment was made. He declined to do so. As ever, Ned would rather snipe than be constructive. When an equal opportunity was there when all of us were speculating, he decided he'd keep his powder dry. Success and he was right behind Jim from the start, failure and he'll point to this post as 'I told you so'. What a bitter little man.

Oh, and the 'run through walls', look at Liverpool. Dalglish has basically the same players but they now know that they have to be 100% committed or they will be dropped/out. Suddenly the same players were at the top of the form guide. The 'problem' in modern football is too many with an 'I'm better' attitude. We've had a few of those this season. If those players are allowed to remain, they will be leaving their ego's at the door.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Hell I know that I can annoy people with some of my posts but Neds has sunk to the lowest depth ever. Yesterday I was in support of some of his comments. Today the complete opposite.

I've got every faith in the Board and PMcG to have looked at all options before deciding to offer it to Jim.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Scotty » Sun May 15, 2011 1:02 pm

I think Jim's experience, relative of course to those other individuals whose names have been banded about, is a general concern to some. For me it's more of a concern for Jim himself, as I would hate to see his legendary status put at risk by a section of the support that might expect immediate results.

I for one am glad that the situation has been resolved quickly. We have a man who *wants* the job and has the desire at the genetic level to want to succeed, a bit like the Dalglish situation as Keith has already mentioned. The alternative is a drawn out process of what you have likened to a normal interview process, taking us close to the start of pre-season, resulting in the appointment of the individual who 'ticks most of the boxes', with still no guarantees of success.

I don't really get the argument of people refusing to renew season tickets for reasons of protest. For simple economic reasons, I myself will probably be getting a season ticket for the first time and would have been considering doing so regardless of what was happening with the management. I'm sure there are others in the same position.

I wish Jim all the best for this new chapter and hope that the supporters get behind him 100% and don't expect some magic wand solution.
Scotty

Postby jon MFC fan » Sun May 15, 2011 2:19 pm

ned is not a morecambe fan
jon MFC fan

Postby Posh » Sun May 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Some people accused me of being critical of Sammy McIlroy. I thought I was very restrained and only made comments, positive or negative, when it could be based on some evidence - concrete criticism, debating using valid points to reach a more positive outcome.

Ned's post is based on supposition, guesswork, innuendo and negativity. It doesn't account for the fact Jimbo's been in his post for THREE days and the previous manager left only SIX days ago. It is wholly negative, poorly argued, undermining and shambolicly worded. As a view on any aspect of this club I don't think I've ever read anything worse on this messageboard. It's not the post of a supporter.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby MfcChris » Sun May 15, 2011 3:15 pm

I think we all understand that next year is a bit of a transitional and learning year and we will be happy with a lower half finish, but I bet we all can't help thinking just maybe we will have a shout at the play-offs again :o
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Ned » Sun May 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Christies Child wrote:Hell I know that I can annoy people with some of my posts but Neds has sunk to the lowest depth ever. Yesterday I was in support of some of his comments. Today the complete opposite.

I've got every faith in the Board and PMcG to have looked at all options before deciding to offer it to Jim.

Of course PM looked at all options and all I have done is explain to you why he reached the decision. I have more experience on PM's decison making than any of the current SV posters. If you choose incorrectly to believe it as negativity then you and the rest of the no brainers bring a whole new meaning to naievity. I do resent any suggestion that I am not a supporter as my family has put more finance into the club then any of you `flat world believers'. I will accept misguided criticism from most of the no brainers on here except that fool from the IOM.
Ned

Postby Peckishparrish13 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Ned just bloody cheer up, bet if Jose Mourinho came you still would'nt be happy!
JIMBOS BARMY ARMY!
Peckishparrish13

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Simply Ned wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Hell I know that I can annoy people with some of my posts but Neds has sunk to the lowest depth ever. Yesterday I was in support of some of his comments. Today the complete opposite.

Of course PM looked at all options and all I have done is explain to you why he reached the decision. I have more experience on PM's decison making than any of the current SV posters. If you choose incorrectly to believe it as negativity then you and the rest of the no brainers bring a whole new meaning to naievity. I do resent any suggestion that I am not a supporter as my family has put more finance into the club then any of you `flat world believers'. I will accept misguided criticism from most of the no brainers on here except that fool from the IOM.

Even more of a mystery as to Ned's real identity after reading that.

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Raeyes » Sun May 15, 2011 4:01 pm

To be fair, although Ned goes way too far he does make some valid points.

I'm a big Bentley fan, but as he himself openly admits it is going to be a learning curve. Personally I think we need an experienced number two alongside Bentley that is not connected with MFC in any way shape or form. Somebody with fresh ideas and hopefully good contacts within the game.

Perhaps the most encouraging aspect of the Bentley appointment is demonstrated with his management of the reserves, going down to the college watching the youngsters train and even throwing them into the action if he felt that they were ready. Too often there have been players come and go without being given an opportunity. The first season we came into the league we had one of the best reserve set-ups in the football league, winning a cup final against West Brom if I remember rightly. We need to get back to that, to keep those already in the first team on their toes. The first 11 should not be a closed shop, which you could argue it has been for large parts of the Sammy's tenure.

keeping Stanley would be a great coup, and to be honest given that Craig has property and is relatively settled in the area should still be achievable, after all that is ultimately why Drummie came back to us.
Raeyes

Postby Sharpy » Sun May 15, 2011 4:02 pm

there are going to be a hell of a lot of people banned from the forum after this thread! Bullying is rife throughout the content of all but Ned's posts.
I would highly recommend this bullying is looked into as it would certainly seem unfair that certain users are banned for bullying while others of the perceived "in crowd" escape with immunity.
Morecambe and District Kite and Tins Society. Official Kite Owner
Sharpy

Postby Mark S » Sun May 15, 2011 5:31 pm

So which are you Sharpy? A 'flat earther' or a 'No brainer'? :lol:

Ned is a Wind Up merchant who looks for opportunities to stir it up for a reaction.

Ned is no more a mystery benefactor of the club than Richard Branson is! If we had trusted his insightful acumen previously over PMGs we would have sacked Sammy & Mark in the November of 2006, just 6 months before they got us promoted when he first called for their heads! Simply Ned was called 'Robert' then :lol:

Well done Ned, you got some more bites, including me! :D
Mark S

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun May 15, 2011 5:54 pm

So which are you Sharpy? A 'flat earther' or a 'No brainer'?

Are you calling my mate not the sharpest tool in the box :?: :evil:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby ezz » Sun May 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Simply Ned wrote:

Oh you're family has given more money, that must mean your correct when spouting a load of bollocks :lol:
I may make a massive donation just so I can look down on veryone here and show how correct I am!
All I need is lots of money.....
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Sun May 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Simply Ned wrote:I do resent any suggestion that I am not a supporter as my family has put more finance into the club then any of you `flat world believers'. I will accept misguided criticism from most of the no brainers on here except that fool from the IOM.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Does that mean you do accept misguided criticism from me then?

The fact remains Ned, you were asked your opinion at a time when all opinions were equally valid, but you chose not to share your insider insights with us mere plebs. Then within days, you start taking snipes.

At least this fool on a wet & windy Isle of Man sees no reason to hide from his opinions.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Sun May 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Keith wrote:Oh, and the 'run through walls', look at Liverpool. Dalglish has basically the same players but they now know that they have to be 100% committed or they will be dropped/out. Suddenly the same players were at the top of the form guide. The 'problem' in modern football is too many with an 'I'm better' attitude. We've had a few of those this season. If those players are allowed to remain, they will be leaving their ego's at the door.

Did you nick that from my post in another thread?? :lol:
Fully agree though, if the players aren't happy or dont believe in the manager you'll never see the play to their full potential. If the players will play for Jimbo, or he is as good a motivator as a manager as he was a captain he's won half the battle already!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Mark S » Sun May 15, 2011 6:03 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:So which are you Sharpy? A 'flat earther' or a 'No brainer'?

Are you calling my mate not the sharpest tool in the box :?: :evil:

Can I suggest that you read the whole thread before wading in? It wasn't me that was suggesting the mass proletariat were a bit on the thick side. It was Ned that coined both phrases aimed at us lesser beings. This is the guy who Sharpy was concerned about being bullied. :lol:
Mark S

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 15, 2011 6:23 pm

the guy i was accused of bullying a while back, who, in my opinion comes on here to take the p1 55.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Sun May 15, 2011 6:27 pm

ezz wrote:Did you nick that from my post in another thread?? :lol:

I was inspired by you! :D

Keith
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion