Manager predictions

Re: Manager predictions

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 9:52 am

Ntini wrote:
Jolly rog branch wrote:Eddie Howe is a great example of giving an inexperienced manager a chance to show his worth

A perfect example of an inexperienced manager doing a great job, and many would hope Jim could do the same. But the problem for me is thta Jim hasn't played at a higher level than where we're at. As much as I love the guy and think he'll make an excellent manager, the likes of Eddie Howe played much higher. Sammy and Mark both played at the highest level in English football and that gets you respect and helps you sign players. As much as think Jim will demand respect, much as he has done in the reserves, I just have a niggling suspicion that he'll struggle to sign players from a higher level.

It's certainly not an easy decision...

Thats my problem with Jim Bentley being the manager. Its more likely that a decent player will sign for a manager who's a household name like Sammy McIlroy than for someone who's not as well known. I think Jim is the ideal assistant , a bit like Mark Lillis was.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Fri May 13, 2011 10:02 am

Passion wins the day every time.

The guys got that in abundance. I'm not so sure about the lack of contacts. Only time would tell. But for me his passion for the club would convince many to be part of his revolution.

I'm not in favour of employing a manager who has been sacked from a previuos club. Too much possible baggage.

Fresh start is the order of the day AND a united fan base behind Jimbo would be superb!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Ntini » Fri May 13, 2011 10:07 am

Christies Child wrote: I'm not so sure about the lack of contacts. Only time would tell.

I don't really think that's the heart of the problem, it's more about 'been there, done that', and Jim hasn't. That doesn't make him any less of a manager or a coach, I just think it makes things harder when players are thinking whether to play under him or not.

It's pure speculation in my thinking, but I'm not so sure whether Phil Jevons would have come here from Huddersfield if Jim was managing. He was at a League One club, but dropped down a division to play under a former Man U striker. With all due respect to Jim, playing under a League Two defender doesn't quite have the same appeal, as good a man manager as he is.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 10:15 am

Christies Child wrote:Passion wins the day every time.

The guys got that in abundance. I'm not so sure about the lack of contacts. Only time would tell. But for me his passion for the club would convince many to be part of his revolution.

I'm not in favour of employing a manager who has been sacked from a previuos club. Too much possible baggage.

Fresh start is the order of the day AND a united fan base behind Jimbo would be superb!

Just suppose we get off to a bad start like we have in the last 3 seasons or even worse.

What would the board do then ?

I think that Jim would be better placed as a second in command learning the ropes of management. It may have come too soon in his career.

People mention Eddie Howe but he had a career in higher divisions until injury cut it short.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Lloydie » Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 am

What level did Mourino and Wenger play at?

So don't really think that matters
Lloydie

Postby marky » Fri May 13, 2011 10:48 am

Time to nail my choice to the post. Graham Alexander is man for me. Everything I read about him suggests quality manager in the making. He's local enough to be attracted to us. He's well known at a higher level and should have contacts. However, if we can't get him or someone very similar to him then I would have no problem with Jim Bentley as long as we can get am experienced number 2 or coach from a higher level to work alongside him. None of this Stewart Drummond or Dickie Danson crap.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:30 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Just suppose we get off to a bad start like we have in the last 3 seasons or even worse.

That's my biggest fear, Heysham. Would HATE to see fans getting on Jim's back .....
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby mfcbro » Fri May 13, 2011 11:36 am

Here we go again negativity,We didnt get off to a great start when we got promoted or last year when we finished 4th.Lets be positive give Jimbo the job and lets all get behind him and he would have a good start.
mfcbro

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:41 am

Jim is an absolute GOD at Morecambe FC and WILL get the support of everyone in the ground ALL the time should he be given the job (as he deserves a stab at).
Seasider9601

Postby shrimpinho » Fri May 13, 2011 11:41 am

mfcbro wrote:Here we go again negativity,We didnt get off to a great start when we got promoted or last year when we finished 4th.Lets be positive give Jimbo the job and lets all get behind him and he would have a good start.

I agree, not totally that its a negative comment, just that some fans will have concerns results for Jim but that is all talking of If and Maybes

what will happen...will happen
shrimpinho

Postby Christies Child » Fri May 13, 2011 11:43 am

mfcbro wrote:Here we go again negativity,We didnt get off to a great start when we got promoted or last year when we finished 4th.Lets be positive give Jimbo the job and lets all get behind him and he would have a good start.

Excellent!

After all the negative crap served up under the previous managment this past season, it would be a freshing change to have some positive, attacking and attractive entertainment at The Globe.

Jimbo knows exactly how the fans feel and more importantly knows what we all want.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Fri May 13, 2011 11:45 am

Latest odds make intresting reading there is now some daylight between Jimbo & GA, Jimbo has gone out to 1/6 favourite and GA down to 6/1.

Ian Eyre is now 3rd favourite at 12/1
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:46 am

P/T Indie wrote:Ian Eyre is now 3rd favourite at 12/1

Who mate? Sorry ?
Seasider9601

Postby shrimpinho » Fri May 13, 2011 11:47 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Ayre
:lol: i am really hungover this morning and not with it.apologies
Last edited by shrimpinho on Fri May 13, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
shrimpinho

Postby jmatkinson » Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 am

How on earth is Tony Capaldi still 25/1 :lol:

I think they must have put it on as a joke because they had noone else to fill in the gap! :lol:

http://www.skybet.com/betting/football/ ... 7878.html#
Last edited by jmatkinson on Fri May 13, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmatkinson

Postby P/T Indie » Fri May 13, 2011 11:50 am

sorry I meant Steve Eyre :oops: having a bad day

Under 21 coach at city I think.
Last edited by P/T Indie on Fri May 13, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby shrimpinho » Fri May 13, 2011 11:50 am

jmatkinson wrote:How on earth is Tony Capaldi still 25/1 :lol:

quality banter from the bookies, I saw that on skybet
shrimpinho

Postby Pobble » Fri May 13, 2011 11:57 am

ezz wrote:I've got a feeling we'll resign Mcilroy

I knew there was a reason I love you.
xxx
Pobble

Postby shrimper » Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Ntini wrote:
Christies Child wrote: I'm not so sure about the lack of contacts. Only time would tell.

I don't really think that's the heart of the problem, it's more about 'been there, done that', and Jim hasn't. That doesn't make him any less of a manager or a coach, I just think it makes things harder when players are thinking whether to play under him or not.

It's pure speculation in my thinking, but I'm not so sure whether Phil Jevons would have come here from Huddersfield if Jim was managing. He was at a League One club, but dropped down a division to play under a former Man U striker. With all due respect to Jim, playing under a League Two defender doesn't quite have the same appeal, as good a man manager as he is.

I don't want 'name' players and I don't want players who are merely attracted by a manager's lofty reputation in the game.

I want players who are hungry and eager to do a job, consistently, for THIS club and are attracted here by the manager's personality, ambition and ideas for how he's going to take the club and those individual players forward.

And I want a manager who looks beyond a player's past reputation and identifies those with the ability and, just as importantly, the attitude and desire to give everything they've got each week.

I'm sure Graham Alexander would be that type and I applaud the board for pursuing him. IF he doesn't come then I hope they stick with that strategy and look for someone else in that mould (or a manager at a club slightly lower than us but who is definitely on an upward curve) rather than just giving the job to someone who's chucked his hat in the ring because he's unemployed.

Otherwise I'd be happy to put my faith in Jim and let him bring in an assistant he thought could add anything he may need help with - be that contacts or tactical experience.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby MfcChris » Fri May 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Eddie Howe got the permanent position for B'mouth and left after just under 2 years. Do we really want Alexander who will probably do the same if successful to leave after just 2 years. Stability is everything, even though the modern game changes managers every six months. I think Jimbo would stay a lot longer.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Shrimpy » Fri May 13, 2011 1:03 pm

MfcChris wrote:Eddie Howe got the permanent position for B'mouth and left after just under 2 years. Do we really want Alexander who will probably do the same if successful to leave after just 2 years. Stability is everything, even though the modern game changes managers every six months. I think Jimbo would stay a lot longer.

Yes, because if he does leave then that means he'll have been successful with us and that's what we all what surely?

From what you're saying we should just appoint a mediocre manager who will happily keep us at the level we're at for the next 20 years but won't do well enough to get other clubs interested in him (you could argue we should have just given Sammy a lifelong contract).
Shrimpy

Postby MfcChris » Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Shrimpy wrote:
MfcChris wrote:Eddie Howe got the permanent position for B'mouth and left after just under 2 years. Do we really want Alexander who will probably do the same if successful to leave after just 2 years. Stability is everything, even though the modern game changes managers every six months. I think Jimbo would stay a lot longer.

Yes, because if he does leave then that means he'll have been successful with us and that's what we all what surely?

From what you're saying we should just appoint a mediocre manager who will happily keep us at the level we're at for the next 20 years but won't do well enough to get other clubs interested in him (you could argue we should have just given Sammy a lifelong contract).

Or do you want what PV had and 2nd place looking like real promotion candiates, to having their manager picked off and then finishing 11th. I don't want that. I am happy with 4th-11th every year :D
And no Jimbo is not a mediocre manager. He is not even a manager yet. Jimbo is our leader.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Shrimpy » Fri May 13, 2011 2:27 pm

MfcChris wrote:Or do you want what PV had and 2nd place looking like real promotion candiates, to having their manager picked off and then finishing 11th. I don't want that. I am happy with 4th-11th every year :D
And no Jimbo is not a mediocre manager. He is not even a manager yet. Jimbo is our leader.

If we appointed Graham Alexander as manager and he got us to 2nd place before moving on to a bigger club I'd be bloody delighted!

We should appoint the manager we feel is best for the job, not who we think won't move on to bigger and better things in the future. If we took that approach with players then we'd never sign anyone under the age of 30 just incase they improved and we lost them to a bigger club.

I never said Jimbo was a mediocre manager either.
Shrimpy

Previous

Return to General Discussion