Neil Wainwright

Neil Wainwright

Postby jmatkinson » Fri May 13, 2011 7:14 am

His contract is up next month and he hasn't been approached by the club yet. Would you renew his contract? Personally, I would.
jmatkinson

Re: Neil Wainwright

Postby morecambegeek » Fri May 13, 2011 7:15 am

No. Good player, but too injury prone.
morecambegeek

Postby Duffman » Fri May 13, 2011 7:25 am

1 start and 5 sub appearances this season, that's not good enough. We'd be mad to give him another year, especially at his age.
Duffman

Postby jmatkinson » Fri May 13, 2011 7:28 am

Duffman wrote:1 start and 5 sub appearances this season, that's not good enough. We'd be mad to give him another year, especially at his age.

He was injured though don't forget.
jmatkinson

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri May 13, 2011 7:30 am

his best years are behind him, but getting injured as opposed to being injury prone is different, he actually clocked up a lot of games in a good spell for us a couple of years ago, i think a one year deal would suit us and him, letting him go to bring in another journeyman would be pointless, we all know that on his day he can be a class act.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Duffman » Fri May 13, 2011 7:39 am

jmatkinson wrote:
Duffman wrote:1 start and 5 sub appearances this season, that's not good enough. We'd be mad to give him another year, especially at his age.

He was injured though don't forget.

True, and I do think he could do a job for us but we had too many players that went missing for large parts of the season with injuries such Wainright, Scott, Haining. All 3 are good players but I'd prefer to gamble on Haining and Scott. Our squad is too big and it's common knowledge we're cutting back next season, therefore we can't go giving away contracts.
Duffman

Postby jmatkinson » Fri May 13, 2011 7:46 am

Duffman wrote:
True, and I do think he could do a job for us but we had too many players that went missing for large parts of the season with injuries such Wainright, Scott, Haining. All 3 are good players but I'd prefer to gamble on Haining and Scott. Our squad is too big and it's common knowledge we're cutting back next season, therefore we can't go giving away contracts.

True. I would definitely keep Haining having seen his performances at the end of the season.
jmatkinson

Postby Keith » Fri May 13, 2011 7:49 am

I like Wainwright but I think it's a season too far. He'd need to get back to full fitness and League quality. Unfortunately, I think he missed too much this season, so I'd be letting him go. Hopefully he'd pick up a decent Conference contract for a couple more seasons and remain injury free.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Duffman » Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 am

Keith wrote:I like Wainwright but I think it's a season too far. He'd need to get back to full fitness and League quality. Unfortunately, I think he missed too much this season, so I'd be letting him go. Hopefully he'd pick up a decent Conference contract for a couple more seasons and remain injury free.

Perhaps his old club Darlington? Would be perfect for both.
Duffman

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:15 am

Or Barrow even.

He has had a good couple of loan spells there both last season, and the season before.

Sad to see him go IF that is what is decided, but we have to move on.

Fond memories of Neil in a midweek home game against Brentford during 2008/09 season on a cold night at Christie. He literally tore the Bee's defence to utter shreds.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Wild Bill » Fri May 13, 2011 8:50 am

Good luck to Wainwright - he's a decent bloke, but should have really gone last summer.
Wild Bill

Postby Pobble » Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 am

I have a great memory of him scoring an excellant goal at Christie Park, and a little voice behind me calling out "well done Daddy". It was one of his delightful children. Lovely memory. Good luck to him.

Wild Bill wrote:Good luck to Wainwright - he's a decent bloke, but should have really gone last summer.
Pobble

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:16 am

Pobble wrote:I have a great memory of him scoring an excellant goal at Christie Park, and a little voice behind me calling out "well done Daddy". It was one of his delightful children. Lovely memory. Good luck to him.

That's a good story, Pobble. He is a top bloke is Neil.

I also remember him being applauded by Darlington fans at Christie too, where he is also fondly remembered.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Pandashrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 11:00 am

Seasider9601 wrote:
Pobble wrote:I have a great memory of him scoring an excellant goal at Christie Park, and a little voice behind me calling out "well done Daddy". It was one of his delightful children. Lovely memory. Good luck to him.

That's a good story, Pobble. He is a top bloke is Neil.

I also remember him being applauded by Darlington fans at Christie too, where he is also fondly remembered.

Yeah first season he signed a darlo mate gave me his views. Not a great crosser of a ball for a winger but works hard and a real good guy too (as he'd met him a few times). After three years I'd agree with all of that.
Pandashrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Go he will only be a sqaud player if he's given a new deal hope the club can help him get set up at a new club though. Barrow would be an ideal move for him as he lives in Morecambe so he wouln't have to up sticks and move again.
heysham_mfc

Postby George Dawes » Fri May 13, 2011 2:33 pm

not for me.

although i think he as been unlucky with injury and loss of form because he was never used properly by the previous management constantly played out of position when he was fit

id give Shuker a contract over him for the right-wing spot
George Dawes

Postby Suffolk Shrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 3:39 pm

I think he's currently doing his coaching badges, so maybe retain him in a player-coach role similar to Jim's last season.
Suffolk Shrimp

Postby ezz » Fri May 13, 2011 4:30 pm

If his wages are one of the lowest i'd keep him.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Suffolk Shrimp wrote:I think he's currently doing his coaching badges, so maybe retain him in a player-coach role similar to Jim's last season.

I thought that too. Theres a vacancy for reserve team manager and he's a top guy who loves the club.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 4:49 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:Go he will only be a sqaud player if he's given a new deal hope the club can help him get set up at a new club though. Barrow would be an ideal move for him as he lives in Morecambe so he wouln't have to up sticks and move again.

You surely wouldn't wish Barrow on a decent lad would you :lol: :lol:
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby outsider » Fri May 13, 2011 4:55 pm

A top man, and a good roll model for younger pro's, may not be the quickest of players but would always give 100%, unlucky with his achilles this season. I hope a place within the new set up can be found for him.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby keepthefaith » Fri May 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Totally agree with Outsider. Neil Wainwright is a top bloke, and if there is any way Jim can fit Neil into his squad somewhere I am sure he will.
I for one, wish we had more players like Neil last season. Yes, he was unlucky with injuries but he is a professional of the highest calibre. He is hard working, honest and never gives less than 100%. If, as someone mentioned before he is doing his coaching badges, then maybe a similar role to the one that Jim fulfilled this last season would be suitable for both parties. He is gentleman, and I'm sure sets a fine example to the younger players around the Club, and in my opinion would be a valuable asset.
Maybe another 12 month contract, providing he works hard in the close season to get himself as fit as possible - which I have no doubt he will.
keepthefaith

Postby jonnythedog » Fri May 13, 2011 5:43 pm

He's always talking to the younger players during the warm-up before the game, a very useful asset to have around the changing room.
jonnythedog

Postby markedman » Fri May 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Suffolk Shrimp wrote:I think he's currently doing his coaching badges, so maybe retain him in a player-coach role similar to Jim's last season.

Yes he tweeted he was starting his badges this summer. Could be an idea for the club to support him with a coaching role.
markedman

Postby Keith » Fri May 13, 2011 11:58 pm

markedman wrote:

Yes he tweeted he was starting his badges this summer. Could be an idea for the club to support him with a coaching role.

yes, that may swing it, keeping him on for his value off the field as much as on it?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion