Manager predictions

Manager predictions

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm

So who does everyone actually think it's going to be? To be honest I've got no idea!
Little Shrimp

Re: Manager predictions

Postby shrimpnsave » Thu May 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:So who does everyone actually think it's going to be? To be honest I've got no idea!

Nobody knows nowt, closely guarded secret....... :(
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimper » Thu May 12, 2011 5:40 pm

I bet we've already had lots of applications but, to be honest, unless any of them are from people our board has already thought about as the right profile for our club and discussed as targets, I'd ignore them all and give it Jim.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 12, 2011 5:41 pm

no idea

i think GA will have his sights set higher than L2 although everybody as to start somewhere

i would say the board are now exploring every avenue knowing if there's nothing they fancy they do have dependable Jim Bentley in the waiting
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 12, 2011 5:59 pm

For me it's got to be Jimbo.

Darren C made an excellent suggestion on the radio the other night. Why not a Director of Football to take all the crap off Jimbo and to allow him to concentrate purely on the coaching of the team? Dickie Danson as Director with Drummy as Assistant Coach?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Wild Bill » Thu May 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Christies Child wrote:For me it's got to be Jimbo.

Darren C made an excellent suggestion on the radio the other night. Why not a Director of Football to take all the crap off Jimbo and to allow him to concentrate purely on the coaching of the team? Dickie Danson as Director with Drummy as Assistant Coach?

Or why not just have an experienced manager and let Bentley do the coaching as assistant?

As much as I love Jim I hope the club does not just go with the general consensus on here. He would be too inexperienced and I feel he also may have too few connections with the higher leagues to get the clever signings we would need to compete. Inspirational to have around the club, yes, but too risky to have complete control IMO.
Wild Bill

Postby shrimper » Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm

I can see the argument, Bill, but I do think Jimbo would put the legwork in and go out and 'make' new contacts, scout for players, generally put himself about and work hard to bring players in.
And he DOES have connections of his own at lower league level as well as at Everton and other places where people he's worked with and under have moved to.

Or he could bring in an assistant who maybe has all the connections he's seen to lack.

Anyway - like any job interview, it's his job to go and convince the board he's the man.
Last edited by shrimper on Thu May 12, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Dragofly » Thu May 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Do the OFMAAFNMA(M) have a veto, and if so will we be having a secret ballot?
Dragofly

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu May 12, 2011 6:20 pm

shrimper wrote:I bet we've already had lots of applications but, to be honest, unless any of them are from people our board has already thought about as the right profile for our club and discussed as targets, I'd ignore them all and give it Jim.

What if theres one from A Ferguson in Cheshire :lol:
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Okay, yes we may get a surprise 'exceptional applicant' so I should have said... 'unless it's someone blah blah... OR someone we hadn't targeted but fits the profile we've set out..'.
shrimper

Postby MfcChris » Thu May 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Dare I say Jimbo should manage Telford as his first club, them being small and all that? :o

PS: Thanks for all your info about your tea. I am now happy you answered. Maybe CC will learn eventually.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:03 pm

All talk of Coley seems to have died down.

I'm most concerned about the suggestion being Steve Burr of Kiddie could be in the frame ???

Personally, I'd like Graham Alexander with Jimbo as his number two (until such a time he IS ready to step up). Alexander was someone I had not given a thought to til someone on here brought it up, but it now sounds like a masterplan.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Wild Bill » Thu May 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:All talk of Coley seems to have died down.

I'm most concerned about the suggestion being Steve Burr of Kiddie could be in the frame ???

Personally, I'd like Graham Alexander with Jimbo as his number two (until such a time he IS ready to step up). Alexander was someone I had not given a thought to til someone on here brought it up, but it now sounds like a masterplan.

There are two big advantages to Alexander. One - he could still be a decent player at our level. Two - he is likely to have a hell of a lot of connections, including our near neighbours, Burnley and Preston.

Other than that though I see him as as big a gamble as Bentley due to his lack of experience. Having them both would probably not work.
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Seasider9601 wrote:All talk of Coley seems to have died down.

There are two big advantages to Alexander. One - he could still be a decent player at our level. Two - he is likely to have a hell of a lot of connections, including our near neighbours, Burnley and Preston.

Other than that though I see him as as big a gamble as Bentley due to his lack of experience. Having them both would probably not work.

Two of the better managers we've had in Ken Waterhouse and Jim Harvey had no experience but they didn't do too badly.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Jolly rog branch » Thu May 12, 2011 7:30 pm

The Jim should manage Telford as his first clubis the worst thing i have heard.
I know its a matter of opinions but what if Jim did go Telford and got them promoted to football league( they could be in conference premier next season) and then the Morecambe job became available i dont really believe Jim would be the type of man o leave to come to Morecambe, being a footballer seems to be about being given a chance and a little bit of luck and i am sure same goes for a manager.
I am almost certain that if Jimbo was given the job he would certainly improve on this season and build and build after that, Eddie Howe is a great example of giving an inexperienced manager a chance to show his worth, and i dont think anybody could deny he has done a fantatstic job at Bournemouth and is looking good at Burnley too.
For me its Jimbo all the way, he has the badges and the experience of managing reserves this season and when you watch the reserves all the players seem to want to play for Jim and give their all. 12 month contract to start with option of further 2 years sounds like a plan but i am sure we will all find out soon enough
Jolly rog branch

Postby Keith » Thu May 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Christies Child wrote:Darren C made an excellent suggestion on the radio the other night. Why not a Director of Football to take all the crap off Jimbo and to allow him to concentrate purely on the coaching of the team? Dickie Danson as Director with Drummy as Assistant Coach?

A bit like when I suggested on Monday...

Keith wrote:Jimbo as manager, Dickie Danson assistant manager with Drummie taking on the coaching of the reserves as he develops his skills with a view to taking over as assistant manager?

Or even... if Sammy & Mark don't have something else lined up, Jimbo as manager with Mark being the steady father figure as assistant?

:roll: 8-) 8-) 8-)

Jolly rog branch wrote:I am almost certain that if Jimbo was given the job he would certainly improve on this season and build and build after that, Eddie Howe is a great example of giving an inexperienced manager a chance to show his worth, and i dont think anybody could deny he has done a fantatstic job at Bournemouth and is looking good at Burnley too.

Spot on!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu May 12, 2011 9:03 pm

looks like heres one we can knock off the list :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 482906.stm
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby ezz » Thu May 12, 2011 9:28 pm

I've got a feeling we'll resign Mcilroy
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Joel Ninety » Thu May 12, 2011 9:38 pm

ezz wrote:I've got a feeling we'll resign Mcilroy

Is this known as the "Fabio Aurelio Law"?
Joel Ninety

Postby ezz » Thu May 12, 2011 9:40 pm

You heard it here first, he hasn't even left yet
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sammy h » Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Just saw him at the Globe, maybe he has had a re think?
Sammy h

Postby ezz » Thu May 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Director of football? Solely in charge of transfers?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Joel Ninety » Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 pm

ezz wrote:Director of football? Solely in charge of transfers?

He can stand in the bar, ironing them onto t-shirts.
Joel Ninety

Postby nasher22 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:32 am

Did someone really say Dickie Danson? WOW thats a step forward
nasher22

Postby Ntini » Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 am

Jolly rog branch wrote:Eddie Howe is a great example of giving an inexperienced manager a chance to show his worth

A perfect example of an inexperienced manager doing a great job, and many would hope Jim could do the same. But the problem for me is thta Jim hasn't played at a higher level than where we're at. As much as I love the guy and think he'll make an excellent manager, the likes of Eddie Howe played much higher. Sammy and Mark both played at the highest level in English football and that gets you respect and helps you sign players. As much as think Jim will demand respect, much as he has done in the reserves, I just have a niggling suspicion that he'll struggle to sign players from a higher level.

It's certainly not an easy decision...
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Next

Return to General Discussion