Jimbo! Jimbo! JIMBO!!!

Re: Jimbo! Jimbo! JIMBO!!!

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 12, 2011 5:34 am

shrimper wrote:
George Dawes wrote:for me realistically Ronnie Moore or Jimbo or even better both?

need to forget about Colman just for now for obvious reasons.

Ronnie Moore? One of the list of journeyman managers I hope we DON'T look at. May as well have stuck by Sammy if we're thinking on those lines.

For me, we either need someone who has very recent contacts within the modern game, preferably in the north west and who may offer a fresh approach (Alexander would fit that bill); someone who has a record of decent success in a lower league and is looking to bring that to a higher level (Gary Mills, Steve Burr); or I'd give it to Jimbo.

i see your point about recently playing in the modern game, GA just seems to quiet and mild mannered for me maybe if he took Jimbo on as his right hand man he could leave him to do the shouting side of things
George Dawes

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu May 12, 2011 6:31 am

so quiet that he has on a few occasions skippered burnley in the prem :lol: :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 12, 2011 11:25 am

mrpotatohead wrote:so quiet that he has on a few occasions skippered burnley in the prem :lol: :lol:

and so what?
George Dawes

Postby Shrimpy » Thu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm not a big fan of coaching badges being needed to manage a football club but does anyone know which ones Jimbo has?
Shrimpy

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 12, 2011 2:58 pm

George Dawes wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:so quiet that he has on a few occasions skippered burnley in the prem :lol: :lol:

and so what?

David Beckham just captained England leading by example but doesn't strike anybody in football he's Management material in order to stamp his authority on a group of new players in a dressing room when times are hard

throw Gary Lineker & Bobby Charlton in there aswell
George Dawes

Postby morecambe mick » Thu May 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Shrimpy wrote:I'm not a big fan of coaching badges being needed to manage a football club but does anyone know which ones Jimbo has?

Old school :!:

Professional Football players are able to fast track through the badge tiers. I do know that Jim starting some years ago doing his badges, choosing to start at Level 1. Would think he's into UEFA B, possibly A badge now.
morecambe mick

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Thu May 12, 2011 10:42 pm

I have read all of this thread completely to this point. I can only say that I would aggree with Shrimper. Jim's the man for the job. What a bold and brave thing for the board to do, but will they have the strength to do it. I would suspect that the board know very well what sort of commitment Jimbo will give to the club. Well respected at board level, by the fans and by the team. Look what he has done in the reserves. He will get all the management support that he would need from the board, he will give his all for the club, and everybody of sense reading this knows.

The risk of appointing someone else and still have Jim as assistant is that the new man and Jim don't see eye to eye. Clearly he and Sam/Mark did, mutual respect and so on. That may NOT happen with a new man, with his own agenda. May want his own man...Jim may be out, may see his future elsewhere...Once he's gone he'll be gone for good.

The greatest strength that Liverpool ever had was the boot room mentality...a felling that still pertains I would suggest given the success that the reappointment of Kenny Dalgleish has been.

Morecambe is a small club, with a highly devoted following...with a great sense of continuity, something that I think we appear to have lost this season. (Low pont of the season for me...Loss of Stanners to Torquay, a high point...the re-emergence of Danny Carlton and the emergence of two of Jims protoges in the 1st team). That sense of continuity is a great strength, it is what a football club should have, what it should be, we should play to that, and in my opinion that Jimbo is the man to maintain and develop that continuity.

So go on Board, take a bold decision, be brave, be inspirational, give the man all the support that that you can, give a passionate (adopted) Morecambrian (...remember that Churchillian speech here on SV's before the D&R second leg last year? It had a friend of mine...a lifelong Birmingham fan...reduced to tears) the once in a lifetime chance that he has at Morecambe to lead a club that clearly he cares for, something that you all know. We may not have instant success, but the club will be heart and soul MORECMABE FC. And what more do we want than that.

That being said...how like Keith is it to come up with something out of the left field...Hope Powell, what a fascinating suggestion. Now that WOULD be a bold decision.
Bradford_Shrimp

Postby morecambegeek » Fri May 13, 2011 7:11 am

So we've had 40 applicants for the job. Assuming a large portion of those 40 are journeymen managers who'll apply for any job under the sun, we either go for a tried and tested manager, but who is looking for a job because they failed in their last appointment, or we go for as yet untested manager like Alexander or Jimbo.

Any manager in their first post will be a risk. I can't see the logic in appointing Alexander over Bentley just because he's a higher profile player - it doesn't automatically mean they'll be a better manager. There have been plenty of high profile ex-Premier League players who have flopped in management - Sutton, Shearer, Ince to name three. Bentley has the advantage of GETTING Morecambe and what it means to the fans. We also stand a better chance of holding onto Bentley for longer should he be successful as he has an emotional attachment to the club and won't just be using us as a springboard to loftier perches.

The other risk with not appointing Bentley is we might not get another chance. It's clear he wants to move into management. The next manager of Morecambe could be in post for 1,2,3 years or longer. Realisitically, I can't see Jim sticking around managing the reserves for much longer than a couple of years. I'd hate for us to appoint someone and miss the chance of Jim managing Morecambe completely.
morecambegeek

Postby Keith » Fri May 13, 2011 7:38 am

morecambegeek wrote:So we've had 40 applicants for the job. Assuming a large portion of those 40 are journeymen managers who'll apply for any job under the sun, we either go for a tried and tested manager, but who is looking for a job because they failed in their last appointment, or we go for as yet untested manager like Alexander or Jimbo.

Any manager in their first post will be a risk. I can't see the logic in appointing Alexander over Bentley just because he's a higher profile player - it doesn't automatically mean they'll be a better manager. There have been plenty of high profile ex-Premier League players who have flopped in management - Sutton, Shearer, Ince to name three. Bentley has the advantage of GETTING Morecambe and what it means to the fans. We also stand a better chance of holding onto Bentley for longer should he be successful as he has an emotional attachment to the club and won't just be using us as a springboard to loftier perches.

The other risk with not appointing Bentley is we might not get another chance. It's clear he wants to move into management. The next manager of Morecambe could be in post for 1,2,3 years or longer. Realisitically, I can't see Jim sticking around managing the reserves for much longer than a couple of years. I'd hate for us to appoint someone and miss the chance of Jim managing Morecambe completely.

Everything he said!

This is a fantastic opportunity for the board to re-unify the club. EVERYONE would be 100% behind Jim. There is a gamble every time you appoint a new manager, this time we can appoint from within and in doing so, we know exactly what we are getting. We aren't a club that goes for sacking & re-appointing every few months, so having someone who would repay that loyalty is an additional requirement. Bradford Shrimp mentioned the 'Liverpool boot-room' mentality. I think that is what we need.

The other thing that it is worth the board's consideration is that if they appoint anyone else. other than Jim, there will be many who will disagree and at the first sign of 'problems' there will be moaning on here and elsewhere that 'they should have appointed Jim'. By giving him the job, there would be 100% support even when the going gets tough (I haven't seen a solitary post suggesting Jim isn't the right man).

Qualified coach
    Experienced coach
    100% commitment
    Would demand 100% commitment from everyone else
    Loyal
    Loves Morecambe FC
    Would unify the club and put bums on seats (and help put a grim season behind us)
    Would take an interest in every aspect of the club, from the youth teams up
    Would have the backing of the players as well as the fans
    Would be out there watching football elsewhere (How do people think that Liam Watson & John Coleman unearth so many treasures? They get out there and watch games)

I don't know what his contacts are like, but judging Jim 'the bloke' I would be surprised if he hasn't got contacts already and would build upon them very quickly.

I don't think it is taking a gamble by appointing Jim, I think it is taking a huge gamble by NOT appointing him!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 10:06 am

This is a fantastic opportunity for the board to re-unify the club. EVERYONE would be 100% behind Jim. There is a gamble every time you appoint a new manager, this time we can appoint from within and in doing so, we know exactly what we are getting. We aren't a club that goes for sacking & re-appointing every few months, so having someone who would repay that loyalty is an additional requirement.

Bentley has the advantage of GETTING Morecambe and what it means to the fans.

Completley agree with these comments. But this is not a time for sentiment. It is a critical moment for Morecambe. A chance really to state what sort of club we really want to be. Of the fans, of the town, with a sense of unity? or a club detached from the town, a host for a series of journeymen managers and players? I have felt this season that we are at great risk of being the latter, and for me Jim represents a huge chance to regain the former. I don't think the Liverpool "boot-room" analogy is a bad one at all. This is not to be sentimental about looking to the past, but looking to the future. Jim is young, understands the club, is surely up to the challange that being a manager will involve...all the things that Keith has said.

HE'S THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB.
Bradford_Shrimp

Postby The Marksman » Fri May 13, 2011 11:01 am

Keith wrote:
    Qualified coach
    Experienced coach
    100% commitment
    Loyal
    Loves Morecambe FC
    Would unify the club and put bums on seats (and help put a grim season behind us)
    Would be out there watching football elsewhere (How do people think that Liam Watson & John Coleman unearth so many treasures? They get out there and watch games)

Don't quite agree with all of that.

Experienced coach - 1 year of reserve team coaching?
Would unify the club and put bums on seats (and help put a grim season behind us) - I think it would take a bit more than this to put bums on seats, there are a lot of other factors for that, not least his results
Would take an interest in every aspect of the club, from the youth teams up - speculation, how do you know?
Would be out there watching football elsewhere (How do people think that Liam Watson & John Coleman unearth so many treasures? They get out there and watch games) - how on earth do you know this?

I'm not saying I would hate it if he was appointed, I just don't think he's the Messianic choice a lot of people seem to think. He'd undoubtedly be cheap, though, which is a factor.

My choice would still be Ronnie Moore.
The Marksman

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:21 am

The Marksman wrote:Would be out there watching football elsewhere (How do people think that Liam Watson & John Coleman unearth so many treasures? They get out there and watch games) - how on earth do you know this?

I get the impression, (and have heard elsewhere too) that Sammy didn't get out and about much watching games as much as he perhaps should have done (allegedly). Media commitments elsewhere etc etc ...
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 11:29 am

Keith wrote:
morecambegeek wrote:So we've had 40 applicants for the job. Assuming a large portion of those 40 are journeymen managers who'll apply for any job under the sun, we either go for a tried and tested manager, but who is looking for a job because they failed in their last appointment, or we go for as yet untested manager like Alexander or Jimbo.

Everything he said!

This is a fantastic opportunity for the board to re-unify the club. EVERYONE would be 100% behind Jim. There is a gamble every time you appoint a new manager, this time we can appoint from within and in doing so, we know exactly what we are getting. We aren't a club that goes for sacking & re-appointing every few months, so having someone who would repay that loyalty is an additional requirement. Bradford Shrimp mentioned the 'Liverpool boot-room' mentality. I think that is what we need.

The other thing that it is worth the board's consideration is that if they appoint anyone else. other than Jim, there will be many who will disagree and at the first sign of 'problems' there will be moaning on here and elsewhere that 'they should have appointed Jim'. By giving him the job, there would be 100% support even when the going gets tough (I haven't seen a solitary post suggesting Jim isn't the right man).

Qualified coach
    Experienced coach
    100% commitment
    Loyal
    Loves Morecambe FC

I don't know what his contacts are like, but judging Jim 'the bloke' I would be surprised if he hasn't got contacts already and would build upon them very quickly.

I don't think it is taking a gamble by appointing Jim, I think it is taking a huge gamble by NOT appointing him!

The only thing that puts bums on seats is a winning team and if the team is winning with a bit of style and panache that is a bonus. I don't think having a manager that is an all round good guy which Jim undoubtedly is would guarantee more bums on seats.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby The Fury » Fri May 13, 2011 11:34 am

Seasider9601 wrote:
The Marksman wrote:Would be out there watching football elsewhere (How do people think that Liam Watson & John Coleman unearth so many treasures? They get out there and watch games) - how on earth do you know this?

I get the impression, (and have heard elsewhere too) that Sammy didn't get out and about much watching games as much as he perhaps should have done (allegedly). Media commitments elsewhere etc etc ...

As I understand it, he seldom watched our own reserves play never-mind scouted elsewhere!

Echoing all the above, give the bloody job to Jimbo!
The Fury

Postby The Marksman » Fri May 13, 2011 11:42 am

Seasider9601 wrote:

Be that as it may, it says nothing about whether or not Jim would be out watching matches. We don't know.
The Marksman

Postby P/T Indie » Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 am

The greatest strength that Liverpool ever had was the boot room mentality...a felling that still pertains I would suggest given the success that the reappointment of Kenny Dalgleish has been.

Great post Bradford Shrimp especially this bit the downfall of Liverpool started when the boot room went.

is it any different to when Liverpool gave the job to an untried Kenny Daglish the first time round.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Fri May 13, 2011 2:05 pm

is it any different to when Liverpool gave the job to an untried Kenny Daglish the first time round.

I don't believe that it is very different at all. Some may think it rather arrogant to mention liverpool and Kenny Dalgleish in the same sentence as Morecambe and Jim Bentley, but it is about the core of the team...the heart of the team, the soul of the club. We are not just another football club. We are MORECAMBE and proud. Jim's the man to keep that attitude alive, just as Dalgleish has regained for Liverpool again.
Bradford_Shrimp

Postby Caged Lion » Fri May 13, 2011 2:46 pm

The Fury wrote:As I understand it, he seldom watched our own reserves play never-mind scouted elsewhere!

Echoing all the above, give the bloody job to Jimbo!

We only went to 2 reserve games last season and Sammy was at both games.

We purposely stood behind Jim for quite a while at one game to listen to him managing the team. He was fantastic and he can certainly get his point across. Most of the time he was yelling 'Shukes...Shukes...SHUKES' or 'Jimmy face the ball...Jimmy face the ball...JIMMY FACING THE ****ING BALL' It has to be said he was also generous with his praise when Jimmy eventually did face the ball :lol:

Jim gets my vote. He would manage our club with as much passion as he put into playing, anybody notice how far his headers out of defence went last Saturday. He exudes strength, no non-sense, has humour, humility and above all he knows all the players. He is in a perfect position to realise which players should be offered new contracts or given the boot.

It is a risk, but the club would be fully united again and everyone would pitch in to make sure he had every chance of success. Nobody would want him to fail, and I suspect he would be a great success. Maybe 2 seasons to learn the ropes and get the team moving higher, we would all be patient, supportive and filled with optimism.

Without hope there is nothing, and Jim delivered hope every time he played. With an experienced, even withered, old assistant who could provide the nous and wisdom he would be just great. Get him in now with lots of time to prepare and settle himself into the role.

Give him a chance Board :D
Caged Lion

Postby shrimper » Fri May 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Nah, theres no way the board would.....

:o :o :o :o :o

:D :D :D
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Joel Ninety » Fri May 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Arise, Sir Jim Bentley!

Happy with this appointment. I think he'll give the club a kick up the arse and then win some headers.
Joel Ninety

Postby MfcChris » Fri May 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Lawrie Sanchez Barnet boss now that is high profile ;)
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby George Dawes » Sat May 14, 2011 8:46 am

MfcChris wrote:Lawrie Sanchez Barnet boss now that is high profile ;)

very good appointment that he will do well down there
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Sat May 14, 2011 10:00 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:The only thing that puts bums on seats is a winning team and if the team is winning with a bit of style and panache that is a bonus. I don't think having a manager that is an all round good guy which Jim undoubtedly is would guarantee more bums on seats.

There have already been a few messages from people who had previously said they wouldn't renew their season ticket, who have now changed their mind and will. There is an excitement again that will bring fans back, including I'll bet, some of those who drifted away at the start of last season because of issues generally at The Globe.

Whether they KEEP bums on seats, I agree, will depend upon the style of football and results but I have no doubt that the start of next season will attract more fans than would have been there if Sammy was still in charge. I don't think a 'journeyman manager' would have had the pulling power of Jim's appointment.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat May 14, 2011 10:04 am

We haven't won a league game in August since our first league season and that has not helped with keeping fans.

Hopefully Jim can get us flying from the start and there is none of the fannying about with formation changes and loan players once gthe season starts.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sat May 14, 2011 10:16 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:We haven't won a league game in August since our first league season and that has not helped with keeping fans.

Hopefully Jim can get us flying from the start and there is none of the fannying about with formation changes and loan players once gthe season starts.

just going by the bay radio interview Jim as convinced me when he talked about togetherness and wearing the Morecambe shirt expecting players to play the game how he did there will be no fannying about
George Dawes

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion