Summer Signings

Re: Summer Signings

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 am

Someone who can score goals please
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 8:24 am

I find it hilarious that some of you believe Sammy left due to 'bullying' on an internet forum. Mr McIlroy has been involved in pro football for over 40 years and am sure he has had to deal with a lot worse than the some booing and name calling on a forum, not that he even reads the forum.

He is a man of the game and fully understands that everyone has a sell by date and that at times you've gone as far as you can go, from listening to him at various points this season this is quite obviously the case.

The club needs a shake up in terms of coaching and coaching techniques. Look up and down the football ladder and coaching is changing dramatically, so much more emphasis is placed on sports science and physical development rather than the old school 'ball at your feet' method. We have been sadly lacking in this department for a number of years and unfortunately this year its shown, we have been out muscled a lot more than we have been outplayed. Take for instance Macclesfield who beat us comfortably on two occasions, they are not necessarily a better footballing side than us, however what they do possess is a team full of athletes who on both occasions totally dictated the way the game was played and beat us to virtually every challenge. We need to embrace this and look at signing players like Issac Reid, Sinclair who played up front, quick athletic players who cover vast amounts of grass, not the veteran of 400 games who has been passed by the modern game. Perfect example is Ainsworth who has maintained a fantastic level of physical fitness in order to prolong his career.

There are countless managers both employed and unemployed who are well trained in the modern way of coaching, not to mention masses of coaches/assistants who are also trained in this fashion. The old school manager is being weeded out of the game on by one and being replaced by a new breed of manager, we need to embrace this and move with the times or unfortunately we will be left behind.

It was time for a change, Sammy and Mark did a fantastic job in the years they were here and I for one will be eternally grateful however Morecambe football club existed long before them and will continue to do so arguably the hard work was done well before Sammy and Mr McGuigan for that matter, the hard work and foundations were laid by Brian Griffiths, Leighton James and Jim Harvey, the board of directors and staff at the time G Hodgson, R Taylor, P Cross, N Marsdin, D Durham etc who dragged the club kicking and screaming from the Northern Prem tranfsormed them into a very good Conference team which was ready made for Sammy to step in and add that extra dimension that was needed.

So lets pack in the hystrionics and doom and gloom, this is a natural progression as it was when Jim Harvey left, everyone has a sell by date in football. The game moves on very quickly and you have to change with that. We are doing, embrace it.
LA1Shrimp

Postby AlphaShrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 8:26 am

Think your in the wrong thread, this is summer signings :lol: :lol:
AlphaShrimp

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 8:29 am

Well I was initially going to comment on Reid and Sinclair but got sidetracked and had a bit of a rant after reading some of the nonsense in this thread. I've reposted in a more appropriate thread now anyway.
LA1Shrimp

Postby Bare Ben » Tue May 10, 2011 10:07 am

LA1Shrimp wrote:I find it hilarious that some of you believe Sammy left due to 'bullying' on an internet forum.

:? :? :?

Who's said that????????
Bare Ben

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 10:22 am

Thats the sole piece of info you chose to take from that post. wow.

I was referring to the people on here who are being accused of driving him out of the club with their disenchantment with this season, the vocalization of it and input to that effect on here.
LA1Shrimp

Postby MfcChris » Tue May 10, 2011 10:24 am

Nobody on here has driven him out and whoever (probably CC) thinks they have, have got problems.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Bare Ben » Tue May 10, 2011 11:04 am

LA1Shrimp wrote:Thats the sole piece of info you chose to take from that post. wow.

I was referring to the people on here who are being accused of driving him out of the club with their disenchantment with this season, the vocalization of it and input to that effect on here.

Yes, wow, it was the first thing you said so it started with rubbish and continued in that manner. Nobody on here has been accused of it, no name's have been mentioned. Like MfcChris says, if people think they are being accused, then they don't even need to be. Your comments about old school management are outrageous.
Bare Ben

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 am

ha ha ok then you tell me what parts of modern management were employed at the club and how old school management isn't dying out, to be honest your blind faith in McIlroy is laughable anyway so I'm not even sure I want to hear your blinkered views.
LA1Shrimp

Postby Bare Ben » Tue May 10, 2011 11:37 am

LA1Shrimp wrote:
There are countless managers both employed and unemployed who are well trained in the modern way of coaching, not to mention masses of coaches/assistants who are also trained in this fashion. The old school manager is being weeded out of the game on by one and being replaced by a new breed of manager, we need to embrace this and move with the times or unfortunately we will be left behind.

I was talking about this, now you're trying to relate it to our club as some sort of justification for Sammy's departure. It's just complete and utter nonsense.
Bare Ben

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 11:43 am

Bare Ben wrote:
LA1Shrimp wrote:

I was talking about this, now you're trying to relate it to our club as some sort of justification for Sammy's departure. It's just complete and utter nonsense.

I agree he couldnt be more wrong, old school managers? The best managers in the world are the old school ones. kenny dalglish comes back after 20 years and takes liverpool to the top of the league in recent form. Alex ferguson, old school, ancellotti, old school.
What you mean is the back ground team i.e sports scientist which do a completely separate job to the manager. Infact an old school manager with an uptodate coaching and fitness team is probably the best combination in football right now.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:46 am

Neil Warnock being another (very recent) succesful example of an old school manager ?

(Took Scarborough from the Conference to the League in 1987 and has had much success since)
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Bare Ben » Tue May 10, 2011 11:50 am

John Coleman :shock:
Bare Ben

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 11:50 am

Jim harvey?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Just shows how limited some of your knowledge is, just because a manager is older doesnt make him old school.

Alex Ferguson implemented one of the most advanced sports science centres in the world at Man Utd and has a whole team of staff dedicated to the watching off opposition players. Yes he has a team who run it but it was Ferguson about 15 years who commented on the need for physical development and the importance of percentages.

Kenny Dalglish ran the academy at Liverpool prior to his appointment with the first team, again implementing some of the newest training techniques and theories.

Carlo Ancellotti was the one who implemented the unbelievable training facility at Millanello, which has managed to eek out the final years and those much needed percentage of elite level players.

Coley spends an unbelievable amount of time on his work, watching oppos, if anything he is the epitome of a modern manager.
The modern manager spends much more time compiling reports on oppos, on organisational patterns, etc.
Last edited by LA1Shrimp on Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LA1Shrimp

Postby marky » Tue May 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Being old school is great when you have a vast array of coaches at your disposal. Being old school when there's really just 3 of you is slightly different.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimper » Tue May 10, 2011 12:05 pm

And Allardyce brought a completely new 'science' to 'unfashionable' Bolton.

Old school, new school, nursery school - these are just terms.

And 'systems' - I actually like what LA1 is suggesting - I also like a fluid 4-5-1 that switches to a 4-3-3 when attacking. Midfield is where the game is won and lost, usually, at our level.

But it's all about players. You'd be happy with a rigid 4-4-2 if your '2' were, say, Izale McLeod and Ryan Lowe.

I do agree, though, that we need a root and branch sort-out now and it 'may' take a different kind of approach to achieve that successfully.

In past seasons under Sammy and Mark, to be honest, I've looked at the squad and thought 'mmm, a new player here, another there and we could have a real good chance of pushing for promotion next season'.

Now I'm looking at our squad and thinking 'heck, if we don't bring in about half a dozen very good new players, we're relegation fodder'.

It's as much about getting out and spotting talent and bringing in the right kind of players, with the right attitude, as it is about the management style of the boss once the squad's assembled.

And LA makes good points about athletes and pace. Not the 'be all and end all' but we do at least need a few in that mould.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Bare Ben » Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 pm

LA1Shrimp wrote:Just shows how limited some of your knowledge is, just because a manager is older doesnt make him old school.

Are there voices in your head or something? WHO HAS SAID THIS??????????? :? :? :?
Bare Ben

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 12:10 pm

marky wrote:Being old school is great when you have a vast array of coaches at your disposal. Being old school when there's really just 3 of you is slightly different.

Exactly, if we get a new manager I assume he'll have his hands full with the squad nevermind have the time to implement a new sports science department.
Personally above all i want a manager who will inspire the players, the players respect and will play their hearts out for. This is why I can understand a lot of people wanting Jimbo, people know what he means to the club and the players respect him.
The same type of respect that older managers command because of what they have achieved.
Whoever we appoint he'll be boss, if the players play crap they'll be dropped untill they can be arsed to improve their form, if not flogged. No room left at MFC for leeches!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
LA1Shrimp wrote:Just shows how limited some of your knowledge is, just because a manager is older doesnt make him old school.

Are there voices in your head or something? WHO HAS SAID THIS??????????? :? :? :?

He may have got old age mixed up with old school?? Our knowledge is limited though, maybe they are both the same?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Steady on Margaret, calm yourself dear.

I was aiming that at EZZ who seems to think that managers who are older form the 'old school' in terms of coaching ideals or at least enlighten me as to how the aforementioned coaches are old school. The majority of successful managers have gained success due to the fact that they have embraced the way football has changed where physicality and organisational preparation are as important as skill.
Last edited by LA1Shrimp on Tue May 10, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LA1Shrimp

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 12:15 pm

I never said old managers, I said old school. It just happens that the most successful managers still at the pinnacle of the game happen to be quite old. I'm pretty sure they haven't changed their style of man management since beginning their careers, fergie has always done it his way and united have another title.
You've twisted what i've said, to suit your argument. No where did I say old age managers are better.......
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Oh and calling someone a female name whilst asking them to calm down shows a lack of intelligence, do you need to wind people up to help win a debate?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 pm

I dont see how Fergie is an 'old school' manager, he may be a good motivator in the style of a Shankly or Busby but Uniteds training techniques and information they gather through prozone, reports etc are far from it. Ferguson has a team who watch everything down to the very last detail of what the left backs maximum sprint distance is so he can put out a team to exploit this.

Saying Fergie does it his way doesnt constitute and explanation of how he is an old school manager, he may be considered 'old school' in terms of his man management skills but his ability to manage and adapt a team is very much in the mould of modern coaching.

Old school managers of which there are many in the lower leagues that are being removed slowly but surely are the ones that live in an age where you gee players up, play 5 aside, plenty of ball work, pick a formation and play to it, regardless of whether you have the players to play it or how the opposition line up.
LA1Shrimp

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Well find me a definition of an old school manager and list of who is and who isn't and where they are and we'll see. If not everything your saying is pointless, as it's just a factless opinion.
Fergie started managing what 30 years ago? Since then the coaches may have changed the training routine with new technology but he hasn't changed the way he sets his team out dramatically at all or the way he manages them personally I'm sure. he has his footballing philosophy and its worked so he's never had to change it.

Again what your getting at is new training routine which in todays football is handled by coaches and fitness instructers. One of my ex house mates is a fitness coach for blackburn, he does his own session without influence of the manager as hes the fitness expert.
Get over it ;)
ezz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion