Thank you Sammy, but it really is time to go !

Thank you Sammy, but it really is time to go !

Postby BHmfc » Sun May 08, 2011 8:10 am

With the greatest of respect to Sammy, football is a result driven sport. He will always be remembered as the man who got us into the football league, but in my opinion, with what's happened both on and off the pitch this season, it is time for somebody else to take over. Listed below are my own feelings where it's all gone wrong - Making Roche team captain - Allowing Artell, a proven player, to leave when he wanted to stay(he wanted a 2 year contract but SMc only offered 1) - Signing new players on 2 year contracts then realising they are either not good enough or do not fit into his plans - Team tactics, eg, playing 5 at the back, playing Mullin as a loan striker week after week when it was clear that the loan striker system was not working, negative tactics at home, negative tactics away from home - Poor substitutions, either made too late or making no sense at all - Not playing Bentley when we have had no leadership on the field all season - Walking out on the club and offering his resignation after a third of the season (this had a massive impact on club moral) - Holding a clear the air meeting with the players early in the season and then dropped a couple of the players when he did not like what they said - His man-management skills (or lack off) - Allowing our best midfielder, Stanley, to go out on loan, despite leaving the club short of midfielders (hence having to play Holdsworth, a right back, in midfield) - Not recalling Stanley back from loan - His body language on the touch-line went from wanting to kick and head every ball to one of deflation - His none attendance at the first open day (despite all his players and coaching staff been there) - His reluctance to use reserve team players - ------------------------ This is not an attack on Sammy, i do have great respect for the man who got us into the football league, but the above is just an example of where i think it's gone wrong. To me, he is not the same manager that took over 5/6 years ago and i personally hope he stands down this Summer because i just cannot see him changing his management style. If he does go, good luck to him in whatever he decides to do, but even bigger luck to whoever comes in to replace him.
BHmfc

Re: Thank you Sammy, but it really is time to go !

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 08, 2011 8:32 am

he was at the open day, pre season was a disaster beyond his control, the club gym is full of beer barrels cos the main stand has no cellar, sammy mac took the club into league footy, he has done more for MFC than any poster on here, yeah wow, anyone on here OMG :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby BHmfc » Sun May 08, 2011 8:41 am

No, the first open day he was not there, i asked a club official who stated that he had gone home.
BHmfc

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:55 am

Yeah wow, OMG. PO7470HEAD is back. Clear your internet history at your peril.... tick box hippie sluts aren't the most helpful.

For what it's worth Sammy hasn't been helped with off the field problems that are out of his control and have hindered our campaign. However he will be the first to admit that on the field it has been a fair bit short of acceptable on too many occasions this season, mainly at home in front of the ever decreasing paying public. His status as manager seems to be in limbo at moment with sloppy journalisic reports he has gone, but people are none the wiser. Whatever the case may be, we owe Sammy a great deal of gratitude for what he has done for the club, and certainly more respect than he has been shown both on here and at the game yesterday where a few mindless blancmanges booed his name being sung. Words fail me.
RedRedWine1

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 08, 2011 8:59 am

RedRedWine wrote:Yeah wow, OMG. PO7470HEAD is back. Clear your internet history at your peril.... tick box hippie sluts aren't the most helpful.

For what it's worth Sammy hasn't been helped with off the field problems that are out of his control and have hindered our campaign. However he will be the first to admit that on the field it has been a fair bit short of acceptable on too many occasions this season, mainly at home in front of the ever decreasing paying public. His status as manager seems to be in limbo at moment with sloppy journalisic reports he has gone, but people are none the wiser. Whatever the case may be, we owe Sammy a great deal of gratitude for what he has done for the club, and certainly more respect than he has been shown both on here and at the game yesterday where a few mindless blancmanges booed his name being sung. Words fail me.

More than a few by the sound of it. Completely drowned out the Sammy chant.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:11 am

So do you think it was right? The man who has elevated us to our highest status as a football club is booed by people whose parents should have used birth control? It was a group of around 15. I know of numerous people who think sammy's time is up who travel the length and bredth of the country to support the team. But they still would not lower themselves to this mindless and pathetic taunting. when people reflect on Sammy's tenure I think it is very hard and silly to boo.
RedRedWine1

Postby Keith » Sun May 08, 2011 9:24 am

Sammy would help his position though if he would occasionally speak positively about the fans. Last night's speech from him, the only mention of the fans was referring to the booing. All things considered, it was a very small group and is the only occasion I'm aware of where he's received any real grief from the fans during what has been a pretty dire season. Instead of acknowledging the fact that the support has been generally fantastic for him and the team, even when under-performing, he concentrated on that incident. In his speech last season he did the same, and gave the fans a hard time. He's never given the impression that the management & fans are 'on the same side', perhaps if he did, he'd see the positives more and the negatives less?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Sun May 08, 2011 9:26 am

IF (as all last night's speeches seemed to indicate) Sammy's time has come, I still think it would have been nice to announce it earlier this week so we could all cheer him and Mark as a crowd (which I'm sure we would have).

I don't like to think that his time with us (the most successful in our entire history as a club, of course) ended with some fans booing.

Sammy and Mark have brought us (with the board's excellent support) our best times, bar none, as fans of this club and they deserved a proper thank-you from us.

The board should be trusted to make the right decisions in these respects, I accept that, but a fitting send-off would have been nice.

That's IF the vibes we got last night are accurate, of course...
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 08, 2011 9:47 am

RedRedWine wrote:So do you think it was right? The man who has elevated us to our highest status as a football club is booed by people whose parents should have used birth control? It was a group of around 15. I know of numerous people who think sammy's time is up who travel the length and bredth of the country to support the team. But they still would not lower themselves to this mindless and pathetic taunting. when people reflect on Sammy's tenure I think it is very hard and silly to boo.

You may find this hard to believe, but I don't think booing was or is ever appropriate.

Whatever you may think of me, at least I don't hide my feelings about the style of management. I don't hide in a crowd. People know who I am as does Sammy Mc. I've been consistent in my views about tactics, substitutions and negative football. I've even suggested that I don't want the guy to get the sack. He deserves beeter than that for what he has done for our club. But for me we need a change in style that provides entertainment and value for money.

So booing NO....a change in style YES ( I'd even settle for a change in style of play from Sammy Mc)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 am

Keith, from my (hazy) memory Sammy didnt mention the booing at all, it was Mark Lillis. Could be wrong though, but it was hardly giving the fans a hard time.
Morecambe Jack

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 am

Christies Child wrote:
Whatever you may think of me, at least I don't hide my feelings about the style of management. I don't hide in a crowd. People know who I am as does Sammy Mc. I've been consistent in my views about tactics, substitutions and negative football. I've even suggested that I don't want the guy to get the sack. He deserves beeter than that for what he has done for our club. But for me we need a change in style that provides entertainment and value for money.

What has this got to do with anything CC? Believe it or not I wasn't having a pop and can respect your view, I've even suggested that I know others that think time is right for a change. All I asked was did you think it was right to boo a manager who has brought us more success than the rest combined.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky » Sun May 08, 2011 10:56 am

Was the booing directly aimed at Sammy McIlroy or was it a subtle hint to the collection of people who make the important decisions? Sometimes the only way fans can get a message across, even if these days of wider internet use, is by being audible at matches. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I do think the powers that be made a mistake in not accepting Sammy's resignation after the Torquay match. He probably has earned a vote of confidence after what he has achieved with us but that was sufficiently early enough in the season for any new guy to make a real diference. As it is, we now find ourselves at the end of a very bad season with rumours that neither he or Mark Lillis are to be offered new contracts. Even I, as an ardent Sammy critic, would say that the board probably knew what they were likely to do a few weeks ago and, as such, it maybe should have been announced earlier.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby marky No.1 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 am

Christies Child wrote: I don't hide in a crowd.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby BHmfc » Sun May 08, 2011 11:41 am

The reason i mentioned the no show of Sammy at the first open day was to highlight the fact that for whatever reason, he decided to go home after training rather than spend time signing autographs and chatting with supporters, unlike the rest of the squad and coaching staff. I just had the feeling that he would rather be anywhere else but the Globe, an impression he was sending out on many occasions from the dugout. This from a man who used to show so much passion.
BHmfc

Postby Keith » Sun May 08, 2011 11:43 am

marky wrote:Was the booing directly aimed at Sammy McIlroy or was it a subtle hint to the collection of people who make the important decisions?

A few lads started a chant of "Sammy Mac's Barmy Army" and the boos, on both occasions, were a direct response to that.

Booing Sammy was bad enough. Booing in response to fans who were offering their support is, if anything, worse.

Morecambe Jack wrote:Keith, from my (hazy) memory Sammy didnt mention the booing at all, it was Mark Lillis. Could be wrong though, but it was hardly giving the fans a hard time.

I thought it was Sammy, but you may be right. Either way, some positive words about the fans would actually help, even if they don't like us! As someone once said...

"sincerity is the most important thing, and if you can fake that, you've got it made!"
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:45 am

Sammy did mention last night that he has spent 46 nights in the spare bed this season!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun May 08, 2011 3:30 pm

BHmfc wrote:The reason i mentioned the no show of Sammy at the first open day was to highlight the fact that for whatever reason, he decided to go home after training rather than spend time signing autographs and chatting with supporters, unlike the rest of the squad and coaching staff. I just had the feeling that he would rather be anywhere else but the Globe, an impression he was sending out on many occasions from the dugout. This from a man who used to show so much passion.

I think he was doing an interview on MUTV if im not mistaken.......
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Return to General Discussion