Striker

Re: Striker

Postby Ntini » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Martin Gritton has just had his contract terminated by Chesterfield. Now there's a striker I'd like to see us sign til the end of the season. He might not be a spring chicken at 33 but proven goalscorer at this level.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17012011/63/gritton-leaves-spireites.html
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:52 pm

As Iain Dowie once said in a conversation to me, (we were having a talk about Stewart Drummond as it happens prior to his Chester move), "there are unpolished diamonds to be found in Non League"
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:59 pm

Mark Bridge Wilkinson has left Carlisle. We could have MBW in front of the MBW
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Looks like Calvin Zola is leaving Crewe, but going south to Northampton . Only 2 wks left of the January sales and the bargains are going fast , are we going to miss out again. :(
parceldave

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 pm

IMO we have 4 strikers on the books and at least 3 of the 4 won't be cheap. Can't see that changing unless one leaves
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:30 pm

marky No.1 wrote:IMO we have 4 strikers on the books and at least 3 of the 4 won't be cheap. Can't see that changing unless one leaves

But which other club at this level would want any of the ones we have :?:
parceldave

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 am

parceldave wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:IMO we have 4 strikers on the books and at least 3 of the 4 won't be cheap. Can't see that changing unless one leaves

marky no.1 is right.. i think we are going to plod on to safety with what we've got now untill the end of the season :|

but i think a few would go in for Jevons i dont think we play the right football for him consistently if he was at a footballing side and had the right partner to play with he probably would hit 20+ goals a season

and Mullin id guess Accy would love him back
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 am

DawZi wrote:
parceldave wrote:

marky no.1 is right.. i think we are going to plod on to safety with what we've got now untill the end of the season :|

but i think a few would go in for Jevons i dont think we play the right football for him consistently if he was at a footballing side and had the right partner to play with he probably would hit 20+ goals a season

Remind me, who was our top goal scorer last season? Has our system changed that much since then?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:50 pm

DawZi wrote:
parceldave wrote:

I disagree. I think the only thing between Jevo and another successful scoring season has been his lack of fitness. Had he had a run in the side fully fit, I reckon he'd have been on the end of quite a few of those great low crosses into the box that Duffy and Wilson have been playing in over the past few games.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Remind me, who was our top goal scorer last season? Has our system changed that much since then?
well at the start of this season we played 4 5 1 for a good 4/5 games at least with Jevons upfront on his jack jones and need i remind you how that worked with people hoofing long balls up to him

I disagree. I think the only thing between Jevo and another successful scoring season has been his lack of fitness. Had he had a run in the side fully fit, I reckon he'd have been on the end of quite a few of those great low crosses into the box that Duffy and Wilson have been playing in over the past few games.
but in fairness we have only been playing like that recently and i accept he as very been unlucky with injury and plus there's been to much tinkering with the team

and i was only trying to point out to parceldave that somebody could possibly want to sign our strikers and then secondly the type of football played on a consistent basis
Last edited by George Dawes on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby Duffman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:41 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Mark Bridge Wilkinson has left Carlisle. We could have MBW in front of the MBW

Has signed for Darlington today on an 18 month deal.
Duffman

Postby Duffman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:12 pm

parceldave wrote:Looks like Calvin Zola is leaving Crewe, but going south to Northampton . Only 2 wks left of the January sales and the bargains are going fast , are we going to miss out again. :(

And now Calvin Zola has signed for Burton on loan until the end of the season.
Duffman

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:56 pm

A mind boggling FIFTY TWO goals for the young lad Mr Hannah this season .......

http://www.matlocktownfc.co.uk/news.html
Seasider9601

Postby Curly » Tue May 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:A mind boggling FIFTY TWO goals for the young lad Mr Hannah this season .......

Sounds very impressive at that level, problem is, we'd sign him, he wouldn't score a hatrick
in his first game, and some "fans" would slay him.
I remember what some said about Parrish and Duffy just after they joined :roll:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby bentomlinsonMFC » Tue May 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Calvin Zola? Saw an article saying that Dario Grady wants £25,000 I personally think he would be a GREAT signing! The wages could be a problem but Burton can afford them....
bentomlinsonMFC

Postby ezz » Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Never trust another manager bigging his own player up for the transfer window, either not very bright or he knows something we dont.
A manager never wants rid of his 'best' assets unless it'll benefit him....
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby james456 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Having scored 18 last season, he's failed to do the business this time around - another Phil Jevons in that respect.

However, he's 5 years younger than Jevo I believe and would offer some much needed pace and strength to our front line. And we all know that a new club can turn an out of form player into a class act. I'd be tempted for £25,000...
james456

Postby Christies Child » Tue May 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:A mind boggling FIFTY TWO goals for the young lad Mr Hannah this season .......

Our record of taking non league players and turning them into saleable assets is pretty good (and I'll give credit to both our manager and his assistant for that :o ) so for me it's worth a look PROVIDING that the lad himself wants to progress.

As for Zola, remember PJ plays better with a target man alongside him. Another Mullers but a tad younger?
Christies Child

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:55 pm

I saw Calvin Zola play for Oldham Athletic a few times some years ago, and he couldn't hit the proverbial cows backside with a banjo .... !!
Seasider9601

Postby james456 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Christies Child wrote:

As for Zola, remember PJ plays better with a target man alongside him. Another Mullers but a tad younger?

Precisely. People talk about the need for a goalscorer but we already have one in Jevons - who is contracted for next season anyway. Strong and fast target man who will work for Jevons needed IMO.
james456

Postby Christies Child » Sat May 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Sorry to say but it looks as though he's on his way to Bratford!

:cry:
Christies Child

Previous

Return to General Discussion