Your Opinion

Your Opinion

Postby steve mfc » Sun May 01, 2011 1:36 pm

First of all as a Morecambe Supporter what do you consider to be an acceptable season both in terms of league position and performance. Not what you would wish or hope for but a realistic opinion based on the resources that we have.

Secondly what is your stance on the management position based on you answer to the fist question?

My view is that we should be around the midtable mark, with the chance of making the playoffs every now and again, that's not a lack of ambition by the way but just the way i see it based on our attendances and consequently our playing budget which i believe can only be 60% of the turnover.

Regarding the management situation my view is that you cant just judge Sammy on this season alone, if you are going to use that as the basis for a change then you will only be replacing him with someone who has been sacked at another club because he has been deemed to have failed, or someone who has little or no management experience.

So if someone who has just failed at another club can be somehow considered to capable of turning our fortunes around then why cant Sammy who has already proven what he can do at this club.

Possibly Sammy is a victim of his own success, he raised the bar and is now paying the price.
steve mfc

Re: Your Opinion

Postby halftimeresults » Sun May 01, 2011 2:14 pm

I not bothered were we finish as long as we give 100% in every game.
If we go down having a right go out teams then so be it. I just want to be entertained by a team of players that are proud to wear the shirt.

Sammy should go and give somone else a chance because in all honesty, who in their right mind would buy a season ticket to watch what has been on show this season?
halftimeresults

Postby Keith » Sun May 01, 2011 2:15 pm

I've said before:
fans will accept entertaining football but losing
fans will accept dull football but winning

fans don't accept dull football and losing.

Our success last season began when we had stopped playing for a 1-0 victory ('cause we weren't getting any!) and we started going out to win games, no matter what. This season, we never introduced 'plan B'. We scored more goals from outside the area in one match (v Bournemouth, our seventh win from seven games) last season than we have all season so far!*

*this may not literally be correct, I think three were from outside the area that day (Stanners, Wilson & Duffy). Can't recall many this season?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby MfcChris » Sun May 01, 2011 4:02 pm

You know you have to go and your hearts not completely in it, when you offer to resign.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Dragofly » Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 pm

steve mfc wrote:Possibly Sammy is a victim of his own success, he raised the bar and is now paying the price.

God help anyone who gets us promoted to league 1.
Dragofly

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun May 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Dragofly wrote:
steve mfc wrote:Possibly Sammy is a victim of his own success, he raised the bar and is now paying the price.

when are we going to get promoted to l1?????

dont hold your breath.........
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Seasider9601 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:34 pm

halftimeresults wrote:who in their right mind would buy a season ticket to watch what has been on show this season?

Both of us mate. Because we are SUPPORTERS.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Dragofly » Sun May 01, 2011 6:46 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
Dragofly wrote:

Thanks for the advise, I'll try to remeber. Anyway good luck with your GCSE's
Dragofly

Postby parceldave » Sun May 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:
halftimeresults wrote:who in their right mind would buy a season ticket to watch what has been on show this season?

Both of us mate. Because we are SUPPORTERS.

The problem is though with some or most of the performances at the Globe this season we aint going to attract any new ones im afraid. :(
parceldave

Postby steve mfc » Sun May 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Keith wrote:I've said before:

Totally agree with that Keith, there's no doubt the football under Jim Harvey was more entertaining, it didn't matter what the score was be it 3-0 up or 3-0 down you always felt we could still lose or win. Entertaining it was but alas not as successful as Sammy's more cautious approach.

At the start of Harvey's final season i can remember debate on the old forum about whether it should be his last season in charge because he hadn't got us into the football league, so even entertaining football is eventually not enough for most fans, likewise there was little complaint about the style of football under Sammy when things were going well.

Success is the common denominator, deliver that and you've cracked it, who'd be a football manager.
steve mfc

Postby Seasider9601 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:59 pm

That is so true, Dave. And worrying.

We have far too many "stay away" supporters at the moment who won't come, it is worrying.

Someone once said to me, it can take 10 years to build something up but only 10 minutes to destroy it.

Again, how true .......... :(
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:02 pm

I've said before:

I not bothered were we finish as long as we give 100% in every game.
If we go down having a right go out teams then so be it. I just want to be entertained by a team of players that are proud to wear the shirt.

Both points of view I fully agree with and always have done, Never had a problem with either winning or losing but if i'm going out working for 5-8 shifts on the trot to earn enough money to pay my entrance and other associated costs of going to the game is it not right that you'd expect the team to sweat blood and pull their tripes out for the best part of their working week that is 90 MINUTES?

Here's to the future!
HALMA 1983

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun May 01, 2011 7:05 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
Dragofly wrote:
steve mfc wrote:
Possibly Sammy is a victim of his own success, he raised the bar and is now paying the price.

Thanks for the advise, I'll try to remeber. Anyway good luck with your GCSE's

Like Father Like Son.. :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Peckishparrish13 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Before the season started, i expected the team to be pushing for the play-offs yet again, and i still firmly believed that when we beat Coventry 2-0, we looked fantastic in that match, but it seems from there, it all went downhill.
I have been impressed with quite a few of the players, Parrish, Spencer and McCready the stand outs for me, with McCready reminding me of Artell when he was here, commanding at the back yet able to get up there and score. Carlton also seemed to breath some more life into us when he arrived, beginning to force the opposition to make mistakes that could leed to us scoring. But we faff around with the ball too much these days! Just passing it in the middle of the park and hoping Danny, Jimmy or Phil will be able to collect it and score. We need to learn from this and next season begin to put more pressure on the opposition, captilising on their mistakes and be able to take the ball forward, that is the football we need to play if we want to get up that table. Another thing we need to do is to make the Globe a fortress like Christie!
On the management situation....Sammy needs to stop rotating the team and formations too much when it isnt neccessary. If they are backed up then its fine but half the time he just changes it cause he feels like doing! Personnally we need a new, young manager who will bring an exciting brand of football to the club that has a chance of takin us up, thanks alot Sammy but i think you have done all you can. Sorry with anyone that disagrees but this is my opinion!
JIMBOS BARMY ARMY!
Peckishparrish13

Postby MfcChris » Sun May 01, 2011 9:40 pm

It would be nice for Sammy to announce this week that Saturday is his last game. Then we can applaud the great man and show our thanks for what he has done for us. Thank you banner :p

Would never happen though.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Return to General Discussion