Sammy PLEASE consider your future.

Re: Sammy PLEASE consider your future.

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:19 pm

ezz wrote:The point was Sammy relied on a group of players (many from the Harvey era) who've moved on but not adequately replaced. That's Sammy's responsibilty. Sure they've been great buys but beyond Barry Roache and Andy Parrish they've all left at the first opportunity. Each summer has had more than their share of expensive failures - McCann, Grand, McStay, Moss etc. etc. and a big batch now from last summer. I've seen no evidence that this will improve.

He's also brought in players who've sold for a pretty decent profit margin too. Last season there wern't that many players in the squad from harvey's era, this season those players left wern't really that integral either. Every manager has transfer failures at any level, my only question of Sammy is that if he's lost the passion for the job then its his time to go, if he wants to stay and push this club even further and he's 100% committed then nobody else is in the running.
4 good seasons, 1 bad was going to happen eventually[/quote]

He's also brought in players who've sold for a pretty decent profit margin too

really has he??name them????[/quote]

Two that come straight to mind include duffy and baker....[/quote]

baker yes... do you know what we got for duffy..peanuts..so all in all nowt really
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby The Fury » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:20 pm

ezz wrote:The point was Sammy relied on a group of players (many from the Harvey era) who've moved on but not adequately replaced. That's Sammy's responsibilty. Sure they've been great buys but beyond Barry Roache and Andy Parrish they've all left at the first opportunity. Each summer has had more than their share of expensive failures - McCann, Grand, McStay, Moss etc. etc. and a big batch now from last summer. I've seen no evidence that this will improve.

He's also brought in players who've sold for a pretty decent profit margin too. Last season there wern't that many players in the squad from harvey's era, this season those players left wern't really that integral either. Every manager has transfer failures at any level, my only question of Sammy is that if he's lost the passion for the job then its his time to go, if he wants to stay and push this club even further and he's 100% committed then nobody else is in the running.
4 good seasons, 1 bad was going to happen eventually[/quote]

He's also brought in players who've sold for a pretty decent profit margin too

really has he??name them????[/quote]

Two that come straight to mind include duffy and baker....[/quote]

We should have received much more for Duffy had it not been for short-sighted policy from either the club or McIlroy or both last summer. Neil Wainwright was offered a contract extension whilst Mark Duffy was not. The upshot was that, when Scunthorpe came in for Duffy, we received a nominal fee when it could have been so much more had the club and/or management realised we had a salable asset at the club. Similarly, the year we got promoted, Garry Thompson was only offered a one year deal instead of a two year contract whilst Matty Blinkhorn received a two year deal. As a result of that poor judgement, we lost Thommo for nothing whilst we were stuck with Blinkhorn for another year. This will only be repeated this season with the likes of Rundle, Jevons etc etc. It simply isn't acceptable that the likes of Thommo and Duffy have been able to leave for a pittance between them.
The Fury

Postby ezz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:22 pm

How can you say its peanuts if you dont even know what the figure is, shot yourself in the foot there a bit no?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:23 pm

EVERY player we EVER sell seems to be for "an undisclosed fee" for some reason .... ???
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby ezz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:26 pm

The club don't need to tell us anything about what they pay for players, wonder if its so clubs dont know how much they can fleece us for when we go in for players
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:26 pm

ezz wrote:How can you say its peanuts if you dont even know what the figure is, shot yourself in the foot there a bit no?

I know the figure is £30,000 I consider that peanuts,,,yes????
shrimpnsave

Postby The Fury » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:27 pm

ezz wrote:How can you say its peanuts if you dont even know what the figure is, shot yourself in the foot there a bit no?

It was nominal. You know, meaning insignificantly tiny. You're avoiding the points raised.
The Fury

Postby ezz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:29 pm

The Fury wrote:

It was nominal. You know, meaning insignificantly tiny. You're avoiding the points raised.

The points raised? He asked which players we sold for money and I told him, if it was an un-disclosed fee how would he know? Unless he's one of those cyber 'in the know' people.
Your points were about contracts, I dont know whether it is Sammy's fault or the directors fault why we don't sign our prize assets up for longer. The thread is about Sammy, and your point about thommo doesnt count because we offered him a club record contract to stay
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby The Fury » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:40 pm

ezz wrote:
The Fury wrote:

The points raised? He asked which players we sold for money and I told him, if it was an un-disclosed fee how would he know? Unless he's one of those cyber 'in the know' people.
Your points were about contracts, I dont know whether it is Sammy's fault or the directors fault why we don't sign our prize assets up for longer. The thread is about Sammy, and your point about thommo doesnt count because we offered him a club record contract to stay

It absolutely does count and you've missed the crux of my argument in that respect. I'm suggesting that the club and/or McIlroy should have offered Thommo a two-year deal the summer we got promoted. Because we didn't and Thommo had a wonderful season courting clubs at higher levels, we were never realistically in a position to keep him so the contract offered to him at the end of the season is irrelevant. I accept giving Thommo a two year deal would have been a gamble, given there was no guarantee he would make the step-up, but McIlroy was willing to take that gamble on Blinkhorn, which backfired. He took the gamble on the wrong player, a mistake he has repeated regarding Duffy whilst giving Rundle a two year deal. One was a young, saleable asset, the other was a washed-up journeyman; it should have been obvious which one was deserving of a two year deal.
The Fury

Postby ezz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Well yeah its obvious in hindsight, not untill last season did Duffy actually start performing consistantly. Thommo was brilliant but the biggest hot/cold player we've ever had. We cant afford as a club to sign too many long term players, thats our only downfall.
We get get it right this summer, parrish, baz, mcready should be tied down before the season even finishes.
But again that may be something Sammy can't control, who's to say he didn't want to give the players we lost a new deal...but couldn't?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Optimist » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 pm

marky wrote:Not so long ago you were calling for the manager's head simply for letting Stanley go out on loan. Grow a backbone and stick to a consistent argument.

Yep, just like you then, waiting for McIlroy to fail whilst sharpening your knives. You want our manager to fail and then you criticise. Bring back JH then, FFS
Optimist

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:19 pm

ezz wrote:For every free or loan signing he's made thats failed he's made equally successful ones too. Roche, Lewis, Loach, Parrish, Artell, Adams, brought drummy back, carlton, baker, duffy, mcready, hurst, jevons (last seson) Mullin, Fleming, many more that have done well.
This season has been a disaster ever since the globe was un-veiled, no pre-season new stadium and the new signings that had us all excited haven't cut it, well most of them.
Whether its Sammy calling for more investment in players or another manager...it no longer matters, its going to take investment in players to be able to get back in the top half of the league again

I think Crapaldi is bad enough to cancel all that out :lol:
Little Shrimp

Postby Posh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Ezz wrote:He's also brought in players who've sold for a pretty decent profit margin

One. Carl Baker. And if it wasn't for a Southport fan and a Morecambe fan he would have been a Yeovil player instead of joining Morecambe. We made a small profit on Duffs but the total value wasn't worth losing.

In the same period Coley's sold 11 players and made a profit of over £1.5 million.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Sammy h » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:36 pm

It helps if you have a board who want the footballing side of the club to do well.

Makes me laugh when a certain director comes out and says he doesn't care how the football club does, he just wants the commercial side to do well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sammy h

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Sammy h wrote:It helps if you have a board who want the footballing side of the club to do well.

Makes me laugh when a certain director comes out and says he doesn't care how the football club does, he just wants the commercial side to do well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would be very careful what you say on here matey.....................
shrimpnsave

Postby MfcChris » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:40 pm

We love our club :)
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Sammy h wrote:Makes me laugh when a certain director comes out and says he doesn't care how the football club does, he just wants the commercial side to do well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really ? That's shocking. Not heard that one.
Seasider9601

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:48 pm

a song to chill out on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PHOeXIPNZE

love u all even bb and sh
shrimpnsave

Postby marky » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:51 pm

ezz wrote:Yeah he probably will be Posh, but he'll also look at the fact that this is the first time we've done worse than the previous year in what 5 consecutive seasons? Does one bad season make a manager?

Without some (severe) point deductions, we'd have finished 14th the season before last. Speaking from a personal point of view, I honestly don't believe that it's where we've finished this season that is the problem. The problem lies with the insipid rubbish that's been served up in at least 2 thirds of games this season. Even last season, aside from the Bournemouth tonking and the last few minutes against Crewe, you couldn't really describe our general football as exciting. People were willing to put up with that if it meant we were having a little success but now that success has faded, people are wondering whether the (often) boring football is worth it when it concurrently isn't getting us anywhere. That and the fact that Sammy's recruitment policy is a scandal that continually costs the club money in "early release payments" (another 2 will probably have to have mutual agreements this summer).
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Sammy h wrote: just wants the commercial side to do well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good job we've organised a car boot sale at the ground then for Sunday May 8th !! (according to a poster in The Visitor shop window ...!)

More car parking problems on Westgate beckon !!! :roll:
Seasider9601

Postby ezz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:25 pm

marky wrote:
ezz wrote:Yeah he probably will be Posh, but he'll also look at the fact that this is the first time we've done worse than the previous year in what 5 consecutive seasons? Does one bad season make a manager?

Without some (severe) point deductions, we'd have finished 14th the season before last. Speaking from a personal point of view, I honestly don't believe that it's where we've finished this season that is the problem. The problem lies with the insipid rubbish that's been served up in at least 2 thirds of games this season. Even last season, aside from the Bournemouth tonking and the last few minutes against Crewe, you couldn't really describe our general football as exciting. People were willing to put up with that if it meant we were having a little success but now that success has faded, people are wondering whether the (often) boring football is worth it when it concurrently isn't getting us anywhere. That and the fact that Sammy's recruitment policy is a scandal that continually costs the club money in "early release payments" (another 2 will probably have to have mutual agreements this summer).

Its just been a garbage season, started poorly with the new stadium and pre-season and because we started the league poorly, it never picked up. The football has been poor, I thought last season wasn't that bad, most games were always exciting at home but i got to very few away games so couldn't comment. I've accepted that this season has been a complete bust and already looking forward to next season. Sammy's recruitment policy has brought in good and bad players just like every manager, this season has seen a lot more players come in and under perform players like shuker, scott, rundle who I thought would make our team a brilliant and balanced attacking team on paper but just never clicked......but he's also brung in capaldi.............
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby MorecambeMickey » Sun May 01, 2011 2:07 am

The Fury wrote:Neil Wainwright was offered a contract extension whilst Mark Duffy was not

Neil Wainwright was offered a contract till the end of this season, the same time as Mark Duffy's would have expired. The way you have written that implies that we decided to keep Wainwright over Duffy, which isn't the case. How do you, or I, know that Duffy wasn't offered an extension last summer? Not to let the facts get in the way of a good argument....
MorecambeMickey

Postby morecambegeek » Sun May 01, 2011 8:28 am

For the likes of Thommo and Duffy, anyone know if the players were offered a longer contract, or only wanted a short contract. Thommo could have walked away sooner, but chose to stick at Morecambe a while longer, and a shorter contract probably suited his career, as more clubs will be interested in his when there is no fee to release him from a contract.

The club could offer 100 year contracts til the cows come home, but there's no point unless the player is willing to sign it.

The club offered Blackburn a massive contract when his contract expired, which leads me to believe they are perfectly able to offer two year contracts, it's the players who don't want to sign them.
morecambegeek

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 01, 2011 8:54 am

morecambegeek wrote:For the likes of Thommo and Duffy, anyone know if the players were offered a longer contract, or only wanted a short contract. Thommo could have walked away sooner, but chose to stick at Morecambe a while longer, and a shorter contract probably suited his career, as more clubs will be interested in his when there is no fee to release him from a contract.

The club could offer 100 year contracts til the cows come home, but there's no point unless the player is willing to sign it.

i think your slightly contradicting yourself, so i have highlighted the two points above

you hit the nail on the head with the first point thats exactly what we need and that is to sign the better players who've proved themselves on longer deals so we dont loose them cheaply or for nothing
George Dawes

Postby Caged Lion » Sun May 01, 2011 9:10 am

Apart from an incredible win at Chesterfield, and a couple of moments just before Duffy was moved on, I haven't seen much to excite me. Whether this is down to the players, management, new stadium, moaning whingers or simply a ripple effect once it was clear the fans in general weren't happy with the new stadium is all history. What is important is to effect some changes for the better.

It fills me with some pride to reflect that the fans have made some massive efforts this season, the new fan's club getting off the ground and the 'youth' behind the goal growing into a happy vocal presence at every game. The only source for optimism right now.

Players who would be missed Parrish, Baz and? and? can't think of another.

Sammy should be capable of making his own mind up, if he feels that he can offer better next season he will fight his corner. If he has reached a watershed at the club he will leave or be asked to leave. Sammy has done enough at Morecambe to retain great respect from me, and can leave with his head held high for getting us to the promised land.

Nobody can blame the fans if they don't buy season tickets for next season, it has been dire throughout this campaign. However, if the Board were to part company with Sammy and bring in a new manager who could attract vibrant new players and inject some fresh energy things could change, the fans would look forward once again.

Nobody should blame the club for not being successful this time around, they allowed Sammy to bring in new players throughout the season, they listened and tried their best. Simple improvements like sorting the absence of pie, peas and gravy :D are a good example.

Ever the optimist and still wearing my rose tinted specs I like to think the club will make the right decisions before the start of next season and we will all be enjoying promotion to Division 1 come the final game next May.
Caged Lion

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion