Clayton Donaldson

Clayton Donaldson

Postby Christies Child » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:54 pm

We should have taken him when we had the chance!

Who was marking him when Paz went off?

Sounds as though Paz is out for the rest of the season. Let's just hope that today wasn't the last time we see him in an MFC shirt as his contract is up come June and without doubt other clubs will be looking at him.

I'd certainly push the boat out to retain him despite the overall cut in the playing budget.

Maybe if we had a smaller squad of 18 then we could afford to pay for the quality that is sadly lacking.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Clayton Donaldson

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Clayton Donaldson, Calvin Zola and Jordan Connerton thats 3 Crewe players we could have signed and didn't
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:04 pm

You can keep both Zola and Connerton who has his mind warped by that poisoned dwarf at Giant Axe.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:05 pm

What you on about Neil? Paz has another season
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:17 pm

marky No.1 wrote:What you on about Neil? Paz has another season

Has he?

I hope you are right and that I'm wrong..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Christies Child wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:What you on about Neil? Paz has another season

Has he?

I hope you are right and that I'm wrong..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

As always :lol: :lol:

You are right in that we need to extend him from here to the borders of the Highlands though ;)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Parrish had the beating of Donaldson and then he got injured. Saw him with his foot in an ice box. I don't think that he'll be out for the rest of the season.
Little Shrimp

Postby MfcChris » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Like we could afford Donaldson's wages. We shouldn't pay over the odds for one player. Although he is awesome. Nobody can handle him just like we never can.

Get yourself to a game, you might learn stuff.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Morecambe Jack » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 pm

If only it was as simple as signing anyone you want, heysham_mfc! Jordan Connerton wouldn't have come to us even if Lancaster allowed us to speak to him and Zola and Donaldson will be on much higher wages than we can afford, as MfcChris suggests.

Its Donaldson's pace which causes so many problems and pace is something we definitely need to invest in this summer.
Morecambe Jack

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:If only it was as simple as signing anyone you want, heysham_mfc! Jordan Connerton wouldn't have come to us even if Lancaster allowed us to speak to him and Zola and Donaldson will be on much higher wages than we can afford, as MfcChris suggests.

Its Donaldson's pace which causes so many problems and pace is something we definitely need to invest in this summer.

I'm not saying that is is as simplw of just signing whoever we want I'm just pointing out players who we have been linked with as possible signings. Personally out of the three I would only have signed Donaldson despite what he did to Drenchy!
heysham_mfc

Postby halftimeresults » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:54 pm

we had no chance of signing hom anyway because he had already agreed to sign for Hibs

pointless thread.
halftimeresults

Postby Posh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:19 pm

halftimeresults wrote:we had no chance of signing hom anyway because he had already agreed to sign for Hibs

pointless thread.

Was after £2,000 a week allegedly when he moved from Hibs. We never stood a chance but we asked the question.

We also never stood a chance with Steve Morison and Charlie MacDonald but we tried.

Ryan Lowe was in our budget and we didn't try and that for me is what we can say we coulda, woulda, shoulda.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:22 pm

A wages and expences bill of £1.2milion for 30 odd players in season 2009 / 2010......surely better to reduce that to say £875K on a playing staff of circa 18, thereby being able to pay more for a better quality of player.

Maybe then we could afford players like Donaldson as an example.

:?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby Harry » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Christies Child wrote:A wages and expences bill of £1.2milion for 30 odd players in season 2009 / 2010......surely better to reduce that to say £875K on a playing staff of circa 18, thereby being able to pay more for a better quality of player.

How many times are you going to say we need maximum 18 players and there will definitely be a reduced playing budget?

Our revenue must surely have gone up since the move to the Globe, and wage budget is 60% of revenue.
Harry

Postby Christies Child » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Harry wrote:
Christies Child wrote:A wages and expences bill of £1.2milion for 30 odd players in season 2009 / 2010......surely better to reduce that to say £875K on a playing staff of circa 18, thereby being able to pay more for a better quality of player.

How many times are you going to say we need maximum 18 players and there will definitely be a reduced playing budget?Our revenue must surely have gone up since the move to the Globe, and wage budget is 60% of revenue.

Wait and see......!!!!
Christies Child

Postby marky » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:28 pm

CC, not so long ago you were accused of being deliberately ambiguous and having a pompous "I know something you don't" attitude, an accusation you stringently denied. Your posts regarding next season's playing squad suggests otherwise. Either admit what you are saying is pure speculation on your part or reveal your sources. There's no way a league 2 club hoping to avoid relegation can survive on a squad of 18 and it would be foolhardy to attempt to do so. You've suggested with supplementing this with youngsters, yet we're hardly falling over them (and what would be the point, given Sammy only ever uses them in exceptional circumstances such as having all possible left-backs either injured or in disgrace). You've suggested further supplementing this with loanees, all of whom contribute in some way to our wage budget. The squad we have this season is too large, but should Sammy remain, all the evidence suggests he doesn't have the ability to assemble a small high quality squad.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby mfcbro » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:03 am

Season after season we say we are going to have a smaller squad but Sammy brings in players who turn out to be not good enough,therefore we have to bring more in.
mfcbro

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:56 am

MfcChris wrote:Like we could afford Donaldson's wages. We shouldn't pay over the odds for one player. Although he is awesome. Nobody can handle him just like we never can.

Get yourself to a game, you might learn stuff.

Our budget is far in excess of Crewes.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 am

Harry wrote:

How many times are you going to say we need maximum 18 players and there will definitely be a reduced playing budget?

Our revenue must surely have gone up since the move to the Globe, and wage budget is 60% of revenue.

If we don't reduce the budget we won't have a football team to support in 10 years time.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby DTSJim » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:19 am

Resisting the urge to have a go at you as usual I'll have a go at engaging with your argument.

One thing that keeps jumping out at me as you continually repeat this argument is that, we currently have a squad of 30 and are nevertheless down to the bare bones of the side. Were we to have a run of injuries in the side with a squad of 18, we would be dangerously depleted and having to rely on emergency loans.

I think we all know that the squad size is likely to be reduced, but I would suggest that 18 is a little extreme.
DTSJim

Postby George Dawes » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:33 am

id say so i was going to post something like on these lines myself, it's a case of being shrewd with the little money we have in signing quality and not quantify

now for example i have a feeling in the summer Sammy will sit down at the table and offer his resignation to PM & Co and they will say no.

so going back to the being shrewd with your money bit and cut backs with the team finances now a easy and sensible way of financing a forward such of Clayton Donaldson caliber would be to let Mark Lillis go i cant see the point in two coaches Jim Bentley doing what could should be one job for a club of our size. Mark Lillis must be on a decent wack
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 am

George Dawes wrote:
Christies Child wrote:sensible way of financing a forward such of Clayton Donaldson caliber would be to let Mark Lillis go i cant see the point in two coaches Jim Bentley doing what could should be one job for a club of our size.

I think you'd have to be a lot closer to the workings of the club to adequately assess whether that is accurate or not.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 am

DTSJim wrote:

Resisting the urge to have a go at you as usual I'll have a go at engaging with your argument.

One thing that keeps jumping out at me as you continually repeat this argument is that, we currently have a squad of 30 and are nevertheless down to the bare bones of the side. Were we to have a run of injuries in the side with a squad of 18, we would be dangerously depleted and having to rely on emergency loans.

I think we all know that the squad size is likely to be reduced, but I would suggest that 18 is a little extreme.

All SV's should welcome constructive debate.

So what would be an acceptable squad size remembering that the wage bill WILL be reduced as those who attended the Shareholders AGM already know?
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:00 am

i would go with 18 and then after that if we have a injury crisis just look to the reserves and what a example Cowps as been? for a short term option untill injuries clear up surly this as to be the way forward from now on

and on top of that we have the option of loan signings if things get realy desperate injury wise
George Dawes

Postby marky » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:18 am

18 + youth players + loanees would be a long term aim but we are not in a position given our relatively weak youth setup to do that. Realistically we'd have to look at a squad of around 22 for next season. Either that, or take or a far more astute manager.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Next

Return to General Discussion