DAB Radio?

DAB Radio?

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:29 pm

Has anyone got a DAB Radio? More to the point, has anyone outside Radio Lancs broadcasting area got one? Can you listen to Radio Lancs with it, even if you don't live in Blackburn?

Last Saturday was the first time I've heard them mention DAB broadcasting, so I want to know if they do the updates and can it be heard anywhere? I've seen a DAB Radio /Alarm/iPOD dock being sold through Tesco on-line for about £50. Looks like decent value... perhaps?

Just think, I'd be able to listen to Manfred Mann in fantastic quality before going off on one! :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: DAB Radio?

Postby CASS » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Keith wrote:Has anyone got a DAB Radio? More to the point, has anyone outside Radio Lancs broadcasting area got one? Can you listen to Radio Lancs with it, even if you don't live in Blackburn?

Last Saturday was the first time I've heard them mention DAB broadcasting, so I want to know if they do the updates and can it be heard anywhere? I've seen a DAB Radio /Alarm/iPOD dock being sold through Tesco on-line for about £50. Looks like decent value... perhaps?

Just think, I'd be able to listen to Manfred Mann in fantastic quality before going off on one! :roll:

Come on Keith, for Keith's sake, 3 months and I can let rip.As for your question,I don't know
but I doubt it. :roll:

http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Welshrimp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:08 pm

I opted for an internet radio. Ace.
I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Postby thegentlegiant » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:17 pm

They are fantastic...but unless BBC radio broadcast to a broader area i don't think you can get it outside the realms of Lancashire....You can get the likes of Radio 1 anywhere on DAB radios.
thegentlegiant

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Welshrimp wrote:I opted for an internet radio. Ace.

But Radio East Lancs don't broadcast over the internet while matches are on.

thegentlegiant wrote:They are fantastic...but unless BBC radio broadcast to a broader area i don't think you can get it outside the realms of Lancashire....You can get the likes of Radio 1 anywhere on DAB radios.

Yup, I'm not sure how they work. I got a Free Sat reciever and couldn't get Granada only Boarder. I re-set it and put my post code in as LA1 2DQ (where I used to live on Skerton) and it now has Granada. I don't know how DAB radio works...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:14 am

DAB is not much different to analag radio, broadcasters can choose to transmit to their local area, regional or national but dab local areas do tend to be wider than analog local areas. They can also split one channel into many as Radio 5 Live do.

Best way to find out what's available is the postcode search:

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/ ... earch=true

This will tell you what you should/might get. It's not like satellite where putting in a lancashire postcode allows you to watch Granada - that's a permission issue not a signal issue. With dab if it's being broadcast on the signal(s) you can pick up, you can listen to it. DAB also transmits an electronic program guide which, depending on the features of the dab radio, can be searched. Mine goes further and remembers the last 10 minutes broadcast so I can rewind to listen to something again. You can also get radios with timers to record programs while you're out.
Phoenix

Postby campdave » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:22 am

My DAB radio finds the BBC Lancashire station on a search, but can;t play it back. Signal must be too weak
campdave

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Thank guys, especially Brian for a more in depth description and Dave, who if he finds the signal to be too weak, I doubt if it will make it over the sea! The postcode finder on their web site doesn't recognise us either so I think I'll give it a miss for the time being. Shame they don't broadcast over the satellite system as some local stations do.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:57 pm

If you look on the map on that ukdigital site I'm sure the colours indicate some coverage on the island but it's not very detailed or clear. Ask around at work and people you know on the island who've got a new car, some models come with dab radios, see what they can pick up.
Phoenix

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:07 pm

They've got them in the local Marks & Spencers. I had a play with one but couldn't work out how to tune it. The shop assistant says Douglas is okay for coverage but the rest of the island is 'hit & miss' until next April when the ariel is upgraded. I'll think about one then... and they'll be cheaper then too!

Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion